Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I took delivery of my Cayman from the dealership over a year ago it had a really nice wet shine to it (almost greasy but other than that was really nice looking). I wax my car over and over and have never been able to get that look. Is there a particular product that you guys are using to get that really wet shiny look on your Cayman?

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
I'm not saying my car is a concours contestant by any stretch, but here is my routine.

• Hand polish once in the spring, once in the fall with P21s Paint Enhancing Cleanser
  • Normal washing following my Griots Garage spray on wax
  • Wax using One Grand Blitz wax once every two months

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Are you removing the old layer of wax before applying a new one?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
well, you don't want to keep layering on wax too often - carnauba wax builds up and gets dull.

What has worked for me is a mix of natural/carnauba wax, synthetic and spray wax. Make sure surface is clean (clay bar does a good job with this), put on a layer of the natural carnauba wax (One Grand Blitz wax). Give it a little time to work itself into the paint. After that, I layer on a coat of synthetic wax (like the Meguires NXT 2.0). About once a week (or after wash), I put on a coat of the spray wax (Meguires Quik Wax).

The carnauba does a great job bringing out the color, but breaks down easily. The layer of synthetic wax give a stronger protection over the carnauba. These two layers are effectively my "base coat", and feel this gives me both shine and protection. Since synth spray wax doesn't build up like the natural wax, I can use that often to keep a top layer slick and clean. And this also gives me a lot of time to drive the car vs. waxing the car. It's been about 8 months since I've waxed the car... with regular washing and spray wax... water beads all the time.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Mother's. I have tried others, but I always seem to come back to Mother's.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been really happy with Adam's Americana. Really easy on and off and gives great results. One note though, only do a couple panels at a time and wipe down seams (clear bra edge) right away. Once it sets, it can be a challenge to get off.

Here's a shot of my Boxster S after a wash, polish, and 2 coats of Americana.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
A sweet shine begins with a good swirl-free polishing. The primary purpose of waxes and polymer sealants is to protect the car's finish. If the paint is not already clean, slick and scratch free, wax or sealant will only go so far in making it look better.

·
Registered
134 Posts
When I took delivery of my Cayman from the dealership over a year ago it had a really nice wet shine to it (almost greasy but other than that was really nice looking). I wax my car over and over and have never been able to get that look. Is there a particular product that you guys are using to get that really wet shiny look on your Cayman?
Greetings,

You may want to try washing, claying, polishing, and then waxing. I routinely use Griot's Garage for a complete list of great products (they work). For polishing and waxing, I use their random orbital.

Best of success with your efforts.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK
258 Posts
After a classic 2 bucket Gold Class shampoo and conditioner car wash at 7am this morning 🇲🇾.. I finished off my Base 987.2 with Meguiar's Quik Wax for the first time today. Here is the result!

Ps. This is a 9 year old Carrara White car.. well pampered as it's my daily beater!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Funny, the Zaino and Klasse references.
I used that on my 911 15 years ago and at the time it was second to none.

Haven't bothered with them on my 987.
I have an arsenal of chemical guys products.

I like a nice polish or glaze and then seal it with wax.

For a daily driver, it looks pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Yeah, this thread was resurrected from a decade ago so some of the references are a little out of date now;)

I have used the Meguiars that KL mentioned above with great results, but my go to quick spray wax is Optimum for the last couple years. This stuff shines great and is slicker than snot and so easy to spray on and wipe off. It also smells fantastic as a bonus! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GG9FI8I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK
258 Posts
@Slingshot FLTSXX looking so sharp!!!

Here is my daily driver too.. the Quik Wax made a nice sheen and helps the Carrara White pop!

Funny, the Zaino and Klasse references.
I used that on my 911 15 years ago and at the time it was second to none.

Haven't bothered with them on my 987.
I have an arsenal of chemical guys products.

I like a nice polish or glaze and then seal it with wax.

For a daily driver, it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
304 Posts
@Slingshot FLTSXX looking so sharp!!!

Here is my daily driver too.. the Quik Wax made a nice sheen and helps the Carrara White pop!

View attachment 271715
If you can get Amazon stuff in KL, try this kit.
I use it on my white Audi

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.