Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guards red, if it matters.

I'm not so anal about it that I feel the need to wrap the whole car. I don't live in an area where stone chips are a huge problem, they don't sand the roads here, I don't camp out right behind trucks with giant tires on the highway, and I don't want to pay so much to wrap the car that the wrap costs as much as new paint would.

But if there are areas that are going to be paintless in 12 months, I would like to install reasonable protection.

I don't know much about this kind of stuff, from looking at the car, I am noticing that the nose is low to the ground and presents a target that is basically perpendicular to the impact trajectory of any stones off the road, so the front bumper cover looks like a likely place to start.

What about the area behind the front and rear wheels, to protect the paint from stuff thrown off my own tires?

And the painted portion below the black air intake vents on the side?

The hood is low, but it's also sloping- how does it fare without protection?

Are the painted outside rear view mirrors low enough that they need protection?

I figure there's got to be people here with experience in this area, and I'd like to benefit from that experience. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
My experience- Cayman R, did the front bumper, 1/2 of the hood, part of the front fenders, mirrors. Would not do just the partial front coverage again. Lots of chips on the hood and fenders above the protected part. To be fair I have tracked the car a lot. So for the 911 I did the front bumper, full hood, full front fenders, mirrors and a strip on the leading edge of the roof. I have Xpel on the 911. Had 3M on the Cayman.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
my thoughts were the entire front end back to the windshield based on my previous experience with a 1/2 bra on a Cayman -- so that is what I did with Xpel this time instead of 3M. Along with the mirrors. Did not do behind the wheels, did not do side intakes. Put about 1,000 miles on it since then and no problems.

Liked it so much that I also did the same thing to my LS460 F Sport.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
easy.
Entire front clip (hood, fenders, bumper, front spoiler, mirrors and rocker panels. Head lights are optional.
I have found that if you fail to cover any of these areas you will have damaged paint.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Do you intend to track the car? Potential for debris damage driving at 100+ in a field of closely spaced cars with sticky tires is exponentially greater than "normal" street driving and will justify greater clear bra protection. If no (or very limited) track use, I'd call it a day with front bumper, full hood and headlights.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Definitely protect under the rear number behind the rear wheels as stones get thrown up there very easily. I simply made a template from paper I was happy with and bought some 3M from eBay. Very easy, cheap and almost invisible! Wish I had done it sooner. My detailer is also being trained to apply xpel so I will just have the front bumper done once he is competent!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Well if you drive and have conditions as described, you may not need film. If you tailgate and track, you'll probably get hammered pretty good. Nothing worse than driving down a poorly maintained interstate...avoid at all costs or have a really far following distance.

You are not supposed to film the headlights. It says not to in the manual (will void warranty) and I have personal experience in getting both headlights replaced due to a coating pealing just from using normal car wash chemicals. The local (only) Porsche film guy will not film 981 headlights because he has seen the coating peal will messing with the adhesive. If you film the headlights...its forever because pealing it will surely mess up the coating and warranty will not cover it (probably out of warranty by then anyway). A xenon headlight cost 1500 each the dealer. Why Porsche put a coating? No idea other than they were stupid.

Areas that chip the most (in order of most to least) for me:
1. 20 inch carerra S wheels. Seems they're designed to funnel air on the brakes or something...meaning they are fans that suck in and shatter rocks and the clearcoat from the factory doesn't do well. Got mine refinished with baked powder coat and don't have a single chip for 10k miles.
2. Behind rear wheels, on the rear bumper. Rear wheel kick stuff up and by design its going to sandblast the bottom tip of the plastic bumper.
3. Rocker panels around intake vents. They'll take a beating. Gave up on mine. So many chips it looks natural.
4. Front bumper (plastic). The nose is the first contact with air funnel.
5. Front fenders (around headlights) and headlights. Air seems to hit the bumper and go along fenders as if they are 2 'front tail wings' sticking out.
6. Windshield. No matter how you try, some jackass will cut in front of you and unload a rock that happens to usually fly high enough to avoid the low profile of the car, but low enough to hit the windshield. The glass is a fairly steep angle, so its not as much of a magnet as 'brick shaped trucks.'
7. Door handles (due to sticking out and being in 'intake flow'). Also people using the handles might scratch them too. Both sides have rock chips for me.

Hood not so much (for me anyway). Its got a really smooth incline so if anything did hit it, it didn't do much damage.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
easy.
Entire front clip (hood, fenders, bumper, front spoiler, mirrors and rocker panels. Head lights are optional.
I have found that if you fail to cover any of these areas you will have damaged paint.
Agreed, plus headlights and the area just behind the wheels... oh yes, there are two patterns for the rockers, the one I like goes up and around the intakes on each side.

I also recommend Clearplex for the windshield, forget about the idea of just replacing it, nobody puts them in like the factory! These were never meant to replaced on a continual basis...

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, keep it coming guys.

My wife and I would like to do some track days with her BMW and my Porsche when I retire in 6 years, and I would install protection for that, but for right now, our cars live a pretty easy life. Her BMW is almost a year old, has about 8,000 miles on it, and it would probably take you several minutes to find the tiny rock chip or two on the front. And I think even those, are probably from our laps of the Nurburgring in it while doing her European Delivery.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a guards red CGTS I had it clear bra'd with suntek before I took delivery. I had full front, mirrors, the area around the side intakes to the front wheels, and the area behind the rear wheels. No one can see the seams unless I point it out. Every time I wash my car I am amazed at how much dirt accumulates around those area and am glad I got it protected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I had my BGTS Xpel'ed on everything from the windshield forward plus rocker panels, side mirrors and A-pillars EXCEPT for the headlights. I was told by my installer that the headlights have a factory film that is easily torn. He has done them, but wouldn't accept the risk, so I passed on the lights. Since then I'm questioning if I made the right decision.
Not to hijack the primary topic, but I'd also like to see what people have done and their experience with the the headlights specifically.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Took delivery without any wrap.
Big mistake!
Hood is aluminum.
Took a few hundred miles for rust crap from under semi to put a chip in the hood because the aluminum is softer than steel.
Had entire front end clear wrapped except for lights. Doesn't do any good to partially wrap hood.
14k miles later with over 10 Track Days, looks great, easy to clean.
No need to do anything else.-Richard

Reactions: Kindrunnermike

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
I had my BGTS Xpel'ed on everything from the windshield forward plus rocker panels, side mirrors and A-pillars EXCEPT for the headlights. I was told by my installer that the headlights have a factory film that is easily torn. He has done them, but wouldn't accept the risk, so I passed on the lights. Since then I'm questioning if I made the right decision.
Not to hijack the primary topic, but I'd also like to see what people have done and their experience with the the headlights specifically.
I had them done on my 2013 with no issues, in fact I don't think that there is any film on the lens cover from the factory! I have a 2016 BGTS and will have both the lights and the DRL's done again.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I don't live in an area where stone chips are a huge problem, they don't sand the roads here, I don't camp out right behind trucks with giant tires on the highway, and I don't want to pay so much to wrap the car that the wrap costs as much as new paint would.
They don't sand the roads in Houston and we don't follow trucks but chips are still possible. You just have to determine coverage based on where you're willing to compromise the cost and hassle versus the protection. We didn't cover the A pillar and it has a chip. YMMV, of course.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I installed Clearplex on the windshield myself. I have found it to be worth the $200 expense.

Agreed, plus headlights and the area just behind the wheels... oh yes, there are two patterns for the rockers, the one I like goes up and around the intakes on each side.

I also recommend Clearplex for the windshield, forget about the idea of just replacing it, nobody puts them in like the factory! These were never meant to replaced on a continual basis...

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well if you drive and have conditions as described, you may not need film.

Areas that chip the most (in order of most to least) for me:
1. 20 inch carerra S wheels. Seems they're designed to funnel air on the brakes or something...meaning they are fans that suck in and shatter rocks and the clearcoat from the factory doesn't do well. Got mine refinished with baked powder coat and don't have a single chip for 10k miles.
I am ordering the Black Satin 20" Carrera S wheels.

You're talking about clear coat on the wheels- are you talking about the glossy painted wheel options?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I also recommend Clearplex for the windshield...
But then there's the cost of replacing the Clearplex every one year or 12,000 miles...

·
Registered
107 Posts
I went with XPEL on the front bumper, full hood, front fenders and mirrors. I've had the bumper re-filmed under warranty from rock damage (great warranty service XPEL!). I've been pleased with the self-healing and the ability to clean off autocross cone marks and track rubber marks pretty easily.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts