Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Passed by my dealer that I've ordered my Cayman GTS from (reason for the visit is an odd story... maybe later), but during the visit, he suggested I take a look at a CGTS that they just got in -- GT Silver and very highly optioned.
Point is, when I looked at the car, I noticed it had Goodyear tires (didn't stop long enough to get the model), but got me to thinking,
What tires are being delivered with GTS cars these days. For some reason, I thought they would be Pirelli's, Michelin or Bridgestones at worst.

Just wondering...
Donnie

·
Registered
120 Posts
All the GTS cars I've seen at the dealers have been on pirelli tyres. I wonder how if Porsche just get batches from each manufacturer.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Mine's on GoodYears!

Wheel.jpg

·
Registered
751 Posts
There was a thread previously about GTS delivered with Goodyears. Can't seem to find it now. Mine came with Pirellis. Seems like Porsche uses whatever they have in stock and both are approved for the 981. There's a similar thread on Rennlist about GT3 deliveries with Dunlops instead of Michilens and they are generally upset about the Dunlops.

·
Banned
3,875 Posts
There was a thread previously about GTS delivered with Goodyears. Can't seem to find it now. Mine came with Pirellis. Seems like Porsche uses whatever they have in stock and both are approved for the 981. There's a similar thread on Rennlist about GT3 deliveries with Dunlops instead of Michilens and they are generally upset about the Dunlops.
Goodyear F1 ... all con's ..no pros!

short thread life.. about 7 to 8 k

and 0 grip... i thought the pirelli's were bad...These are worse...how did i know..i friend got the same car but the grip is a lot less...

just an opinion..

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its not that I'm "anti-Goodyears"... its just that I've not seen them on our Porsches before, and wondering??
D

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found a thread on Goodyear F1's on 981 on the C-Register... a couple folks were "pleasantly" surprised, others thought they were not very good..
consistent with Lemon's take.
Maybe they will be out of the F1's when my car is made in Jan-Feb and I won't have to worry about them.
I wonder if I can put in a request not to have them ??
D.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
My understanding is all get p zeros due to contract. Maybe they get out of stock and put something else on?

seems like the preferred "dry handling" tires are Michelin, followed by p zeros, but botj are harsher ride and poor in wet. Goodyear followed by dunlop for wet/comfort at the cost of dry handling. All are actually really good tires and all have the high performance summer tire flaws (bad in cold, wear out fast, and noisy).

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I can't have any opinion yet on the performance as I didn't do anything today that would be considered pushing them in any way. I can say the ride is comfortable. I guess that's something. :)

If they wear out quickly... well... I guess I'll have my pick of the litter for the next set.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
The Pirellis were horrible so I doubt the Goodyears are drastically worse. The Pirellis on my 2013 lasted a long time, but the were loud and rough. Had constant vibrations through the steering wheel etc. I put Michelin PSSs on my Cayman and they're the way to go for these cars imo.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Life would be very dull if we all had the same opinions, but I use Goodyear F1 Asymetrics as a rain tyre on my track prepared Evo through choice. Pilot Sports and Super Sports are better in the dry, but for clearing water I find the F1's excellent.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My base 981 came with Goodyear F1s. I too, was [pleasantly] surprised: it seems like a good tire (~ 6,000 miles of daily driving, all conditions, late Spring, Summer, early Autumn). I have not noticed an inordinate amount of road noise from the F1s. Too early to tell about the wear; next Summer will tell.
When it comes time to replace them, I'll likely try something different. Dry and and wet handling are the two most important criteria I look for in a Summer tire.

·
Registered
186 Posts
GTS delivered last month came with Pirelli P-Zero (grip) tires...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Dunlops 18" on a base 981, built July 2015.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Goodyear F1 Assy 2 tyres on mine. I was pleased about this because they receive good reviews in UK and other European tests.

I've only done about 100 miles of fairly careful driving on dry roads so far. Early thoughts are that they seem quiet and ride well.

Also, although I hope never to test this feature, it looks like they might provide a reasonable amount of protection if kerbs get in the way during parking.

My last car had Michelin PSS tyres, so I'll be interested to see how the Goodyears compare.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
F1's... well, looks like there are pro's and con's.. and probably at the mercy of the logistic planners in Zuffenhausen...
The engineers do good work... so hopefully will work for my general and spirited use!!!
We'll see what they have in mind next month!!
Regards to folks that provided their insight and experience.
D

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Also, although I hope never to test this feature, it looks like they might provide a reasonable amount of protection if kerbs get in the way during parking.
:hilarious: Paul... you're ridin' on 20's now. DON'T TOUCH THE CURBS!!! :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Goodyear F1 ... all con's ..no pros!

short thread life.. about 7 to 8 k

and 0 grip... i thought the pirelli's were bad...These are worse...how did i know..i friend got the same car but the grip is a lot less...

just an opinion..
I've got the GY F1 and have driven the Zero on 2 other BS and thought the same. On the up side, since we can't choose our tires (I was hoping for the Zeros). They do have less grip but are smoother riding and quieter. In a way they're fun because they have less grip. The car is more toss-able like driving in the snow (easier break away accelerating). The limits are still pretty good and I'm not trying to win any races just enjoy the ride. The limits are high enough for my street driving. If your going to the track I'm sure you'll want something with more grip. I kinda feel a little ripped off because I don't think my car can perform as well as the PZero cars.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts