Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

What brand/model tire delivered no current GTS cars?

4K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  D&D 
#1 ·
Passed by my dealer that I've ordered my Cayman GTS from (reason for the visit is an odd story... maybe later), but during the visit, he suggested I take a look at a CGTS that they just got in -- GT Silver and very highly optioned.
Point is, when I looked at the car, I noticed it had Goodyear tires (didn't stop long enough to get the model), but got me to thinking,
What tires are being delivered with GTS cars these days. For some reason, I thought they would be Pirelli's, Michelin or Bridgestones at worst.

Just wondering...
Donnie

#5 ·
There was a thread previously about GTS delivered with Goodyears. Can't seem to find it now. Mine came with Pirellis. Seems like Porsche uses whatever they have in stock and both are approved for the 981. There's a similar thread on Rennlist about GT3 deliveries with Dunlops instead of Michilens and they are generally upset about the Dunlops.

#8 ·
I found a thread on Goodyear F1's on 981 on the C-Register... a couple folks were "pleasantly" surprised, others thought they were not very good..
consistent with Lemon's take.
Maybe they will be out of the F1's when my car is made in Jan-Feb and I won't have to worry about them.
I wonder if I can put in a request not to have them ??
D.

#9 ·
My understanding is all get p zeros due to contract. Maybe they get out of stock and put something else on?

seems like the preferred "dry handling" tires are Michelin, followed by p zeros, but botj are harsher ride and poor in wet. Goodyear followed by dunlop for wet/comfort at the cost of dry handling. All are actually really good tires and all have the high performance summer tire flaws (bad in cold, wear out fast, and noisy).

#32 ·
Michelin poor in wet? Mine came with Continentals with which I have had bad experiences on other vehicles so I put a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

We had a big storm about 2 days later and I went out on a four lane road, no traffic, and gave myself plenty of room. Could not get the Michelins to screw up and I tossed my Cayman a good bit.

I put Continentals and Goodyears in the same category................junk..............based on experiences with both on other vehicles, one of them being a 1988 RX7 Anniversary Edition Turbo II.

I put Michelins and Bridgestones at the top based on testing we have done over the years.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

#11 ·
I can't have any opinion yet on the performance as I didn't do anything today that would be considered pushing them in any way. I can say the ride is comfortable. I guess that's something. :)

If they wear out quickly... well... I guess I'll have my pick of the litter for the next set.

#12 ·
The Pirellis were horrible so I doubt the Goodyears are drastically worse. The Pirellis on my 2013 lasted a long time, but the were loud and rough. Had constant vibrations through the steering wheel etc. I put Michelin PSSs on my Cayman and they're the way to go for these cars imo.

#13 · (Edited)
Life would be very dull if we all had the same opinions, but I use Goodyear F1 Asymetrics as a rain tyre on my track prepared Evo through choice. Pilot Sports and Super Sports are better in the dry, but for clearing water I find the F1's excellent.

#14 ·
My base 981 came with Goodyear F1s. I too, was [pleasantly] surprised: it seems like a good tire (~ 6,000 miles of daily driving, all conditions, late Spring, Summer, early Autumn). I have not noticed an inordinate amount of road noise from the F1s. Too early to tell about the wear; next Summer will tell.
When it comes time to replace them, I'll likely try something different. Dry and and wet handling are the two most important criteria I look for in a Summer tire.

#16 ·
Dunlops 18" on a base 981, built July 2015.

#17 · (Edited)
Goodyear F1 Assy 2 tyres on mine. I was pleased about this because they receive good reviews in UK and other European tests.

I've only done about 100 miles of fairly careful driving on dry roads so far. Early thoughts are that they seem quiet and ride well.

Also, although I hope never to test this feature, it looks like they might provide a reasonable amount of protection if kerbs get in the way during parking.

My last car had Michelin PSS tyres, so I'll be interested to see how the Goodyears compare.

#18 ·
F1's... well, looks like there are pro's and con's.. and probably at the mercy of the logistic planners in Zuffenhausen...
The engineers do good work... so hopefully will work for my general and spirited use!!!
We'll see what they have in mind next month!!
Regards to folks that provided their insight and experience.
D

#21 ·
I have the OEM Goodyear tires on my 20" rims. I am not impressed with them on autocross since they give out quite easily and understeer. I leaned not to over power them and can turn in some decent times, however the car is more capable than that. I have a dedicated track set now with 18" Nitto NT01 and am impressed with the set up at DE and AX. When the Goodyears wear out, the Michelin PSS will replace them for street use. I may even put on Sport Cups since I can also use them on track.

#22 ·
My November build '15 Cayman GTS with 20" wheels came with Goodyear Eagle F1s. My '14 CS came with Pirelli's. The Goodyears feel great on the road, will wait to see how they compare on the track.

#23 ·
Just to really add to the confusion. I had PS2s on my 08CS and Cayman R. I have the Goodyear F1s on my 981 Cayman. In similar driving, I have found the F1s surprisingly good and definitely quieter (to be fair, the 981 in general is a quieter car but the tire noise intrusion is definitely lessened). If I tracked the car, I might have a different POV. Oh, and I tend to be a biased against Goodyears type of person from many years prior experience on other cars.

#25 ·
I'm only going to do street driving. The F1s are really smooth and quiet on nice asphalt even with the X73. I remember my 335i with sport and Bridgestone run-flats being louder and harsher at a steady state. They felt like they were made of stone after about 7K. The X73 hits harder on larger bumps but feels smoother overall. I find the F1s have a tendency to throttle over-steer but have good grip otherwise. Kinda surprised how easily I can get the back end to move around in a mid-engine car. I haven't really pushed the front only to 1G according to the G-meter.

#27 ·
Experience with Goodyear Eagle F1s?

Anyone out there have any good /or bad experience with the Goodyear Eagle F1s Asymetrics?

My Pirelli P-Zero on the last car were fine, but not fantastic. So far, the Goodyears that came on the CGTS drive great in Florida weather (rain/shine/hot/cool (but not cold)). They are brand new so I should expect that, right? I recall the Pirelli's having substantially less grip when the weather was colder. The Goodyears have felt fine down to 45 degrees - coldest we've had this year.

#29 ·
Re: Experience with Goodyear Eagle F1s?

Hmmm... seems that there was a "run" of Goodyears, now back to P-zero's.
But another point might be the assembly plant.
Are the more recent GTS's coming from "Stuttgart" aka Zuffenhausen? or from Osnabruck? and does that better align with P-zeros vs. F1's?
Don

#30 ·
Re: Experience with Goodyear Eagle F1s?

Picked up my GTS Dec. 23. Osnabruck build. Pirelli Zeros fine for the first few days, I thought they were quiet. I have since changed to winters as temperatures have plunged to single digits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.