Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed on a lot of 981's that the inside of the rims show something dripping that leaves a yellow/brown/gold stain. It comes off with a wash but I'm curious as to what is causing it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I believe it's just the rusty residue dripping from the rotors. I usually notice it after I've washed the car an hour or two earlier and I move it into the garage or another parking spot. It's fairly easy to remove when it's still wet and not very hard to remove after it dries. It's just another joy of caring for a car with high-performance brakes, wheels, and tires.

·
Registered
34,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may be correct, but it seems to appear well after my car should be dry. But as you point out, it can be removed and part of the ownership cost. I couldn't see it being brake fluid or oil but I wanted to check.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Rust from the wet rotors. My process is to wash the car, wheels included, then quickly take it for a ride for a couple blocks to sling all that rusty water off right away, then clean the wheels again but with a little glass plus cleaner and paper towels so as to not get the rotors wet again, including the inside drum. Then I towel it all down with a damp cotton towel and a dry microfiber drying towel. It's an extra step for sure but I hate all that rusty water sling on the inside of the wheel when I have the rest of the car spotless. Most I know don't seem to bother with that rusty water sling, but I can't ignore it.:cheers:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Agree with above posts that it is rusty water from the brake discs. I purchased a small electric air blaster and use it on the wheels/ discs, etc. immediately after wash. I then pull the car into the garage to dry and detail. Getting rid of the majority of water on the wheels/ discs before bringing it in the garage has definitely helped.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Driving spiritedly for a couple of miles down and then back up the freeway nearby appears to dry everything off nicely, including the brakes. I do dry the car after the spot free rinse, but the quick drive gets most everything. I use Sonax wheel cleaner and am very impressed with it. I make sure I get the inside of the rims and all is good until the next wash. Not sure I would use the Hyde's Serum as it would remove some of the excuse for that post clean ride.

Before the 981 I never had a car where you could see the inside of the rims so well. I agree it is a detailing step that must be done.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My process is similar to budman's. Just air try (I use cordless makita leaf blower for drying the car. corded is fine) the wheels nicely and then slightly move the car
on the drive way to make sure all water gone before I put inside the garage for wax, tire shine etc

·
Registered
105 Posts
A third for Budman's process. It is indeed rust from rotors, which dry more slowly left alone, than rest of car, especially in the vanes, sandwiched between the inner/outer rotors.

Wash wheels and car, blow dry wheels and rest of car, short spin around the block, final wet/dry wipe down of wheels. An extra step, but it looks so much better with pristine wheels!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.