Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to buy a Porsche 911 or Cayman, and while I can pay more than my self imposed limit of $40k, I'd rather not, unless someone can convince me it is best to do so. My question is, for $40k, what might be my best bet? I can get a left over new 2008 Cayman 2.7 with the following options for an asking price of less than $43k. Might be able to get it down to $40k.

810 - Floor Mats in Interior Color
342 - Heated Front Seats
490 - Sound Package Plus
P12 - Self-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensor
P74 - Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package
PPA - Preferred Package
573 - Automatic Climate Control
401 - 18" Cayman S Wheel
446 - Wheel Caps with Colored Crest

Used older Cayman S or possibly new Cayman 2.7? A personal decision I know, but welcome other thoughts and perspectives I may not have considered. I drove both. The Cayman shifted better and the 2.7 was more energetic than expected (I drive an E36 M3 now, and it is fine on power). The S was good, I liked the power, but nothing else over the Cayman. Car to be primarily a daily driver. Will keep car until 10 - 12 years old...resale not so important.

- Phil

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
That sounds like a pretty nicely optioned car for the price - if you can live with less power than the S, I think it would make a nice DD. You will get slightly better gas mileage with the 2.7 as well. You might find out when the warranty actually started though.

If you're not in a big hurry, you could probably look around for a good, low mileage CS in that price range. A 911 will obviously have to be even older to be at that price point.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
As stated above, if you can live with less power then go with the new one. Personally, I would always wonder, "What would it be like in the S version?"

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Just as a data point, last February I bought my '06 CS w/ 12K miles, PASM, BiXenon, Bose, sport shifter for the 6-speed;

It was originally stickered for over $71K - I bought it for $37K + 1,000 for the plane ticket, Porsche inspection and first service. I've been really pleased-- one of the best deals I've ever gotten, and the car is a gem.

I cut several corners -- bought a lease return from a non-porsche dealer. When contemplating the purchase, I spoke to a porsche mechanic who told me he loved lease-return cars, and that I'd have enough warranty left to handle any shakedown-breakage I might encounter.

This price point depends upon your comfort level --
- need to buy 'local'?
- need to buy from a Porsche dealer?
- need to buy certified pre-owned?
- need to get certain options?

... if so, you may expect to spend more than your $40K.

But I still look on cars.com and autotrader.com -- and I sort the results by car mileage. There are still good deals out there.

Go for a low-mileage car w/ some warranty left. ask for the service history and check it on carfax. If you're comfortable w/ that and are willing to travel, you'll could save some money and do well.

-PM.

·
Registered
380 Posts
+1 on what plainsman says.

Only addition would be to check with a local car broker. Most areas have a monthly "high end" auction that could have a C/CS coming off a lease. The broker can do an inspection, give you a good description and run a Carfax.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
After thinking about it, I do think I would prefer the "S" model. My E36 M3 has about the same power and more torque than the Cayman, and always wanted a bit more oomph from the M3.

Found a 2007 Cayman S w/20k miles for $38,500. White, 19" wheels, NAV, Xenon, heated seats, Bose. Carfax says one owner, originally bought locally and still here.

Wife really wants a Cobalt blue (or similar) Porsche, but these are near impossible to find! But, she will settle for gray, and perhaps some other colors.

- Phil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts