Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cayman (S?) , Boxster wheels .

Looking for something that looks good, and easy to keep looking good out of these choices :

Rhodium Silver Metallic
Sapphire Blue Metallic
Dark Blue Metallic
Jet Black Metallic
Black

I know Black is probably the hardest to keep up , but I have been tossing around all the above options back and forth .

·
Registered
145 Posts

Looking for something that looks good, and easy to keep looking good out of these choices :

Rhodium Silver Metallic
Sapphire Blue Metallic
Dark Blue Metallic
Jet Black Metallic
Black

I know Black is probably the hardest to keep up , but I have been tossing around all the above options back and forth .
If you're looking for something that's "easy to keep looking good" then Rhodium is really your only choice. Black and Jet Black will be a full time job to keep clean. Dark Blue is really not that much different (trust me, our dark blue metallic Audi A6 Avant might as well be black). Sapphire Blue is likely light enough to hide dirt fairly well, but it won't be anywhere near as easy to keep looking good as Rhodium.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
If you're looking for something that's "easy to keep looking good" then Rhodium is really your only choice. Black and Jet Black will be a full time job to keep clean. Dark Blue is really not that much different (trust me, our dark blue metallic Audi A6 Avant might as well be black). Sapphire Blue is likely light enough to hide dirt fairly well, but it won't be anywhere near as easy to keep looking good as Rhodium.
Yup! I have Rhodium and looks clean even when it's not. Colors are a trade off. Plus the stock black roll bars and vents look good against a light color.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Agree with the above, light colors easy to keep clean relative to dark ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts

Rhodium Silver Metallic
Sapphire Blue Metallic
Dark Blue Metallic
Jet Black Metallic
Black

I'm trying to decide on my color and went to the dealership and stared at all their cars. Personally I don't care for gray (Rhodium Silver) cars. Half the cars on the road are some shade of gray. BUT in addition to hiding dirt, the metallic rhodium silver also hides minor swirls. I could see very fine swirls in all the solid, non-metallic, colors including white, red and yellow. These minor swirls were from the techs washing the cars every few days. The only car that showed no swirls was the metallic rhodium silver. They did not have any blue cars, so I'm not sure how they do.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Like others have said, the Rhodium Silver will be the lowest maintenance and show the least swirls of all 'color' other than maybe White, but will blend in with all the other cars on the road. I may be biased, but the Sapphire Blue Metallic (my Cayman's color) is the best compromise; stunning and different, but also relatively easy (compared to the dark colors) to keep clean and hide swirls, if you are careful. I do like the Rhodium Silver though, all P cars look fantastic in that color; almost as good as Sapphire Blue Metallic!

·
Registered
476 Posts
White (haha - not on your list)
Much of your preference depends on what colors you have had before.
Of your choices...Rhodium Silver, if you want to be a bit more unique - GT silver, or if you want to stand out PTS....

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
You didn't ask this but I would get a color that speaks to your emotions....not based on how easy it is to clean.

These cars are about our emotional reaction not about practicality. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You didn't ask this but I would get a color that speaks to your emotions....not based on how easy it is to clean.

These cars are about our emotional reaction not about practicality. Just my 2 cents.
Dirty car makes me sad :(

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
two thoughts..
First -- Racing Yellow... OK, its a bit bright -- but I've gotten nothing but great comments and long looks from mine.
Second--- intersting comment about fine swirls on the paint from the techs washing the cars frequently -- and incorrectly. I've been following Larry of AMMO NYC who, in one of his video's, claims that the most damage done to the finish is "improperly" drying.
So, if you do go for a car off the lot, you might negotiate a high quality polish before taking delivery. There was a posting of a fellow that got a rude surprise with an almost ruined finish -- but the dealer was able to polish it back to spec. OR.. do a special order. That way, you get EXACTLY what you want and nothing that you don't want, and the paint is totally new. I special ordered my Racing Yellow GTS and the finish is perfect as the dealer did a quick detail and then into my hands.

The other color that was interesting was Sapphire Blue. Then there is shades of white...and in full disclosure, most of my cars have been white.
exceptions being an Aztec Green Integra GSR back in the 90's and my current Renn Gelb... Oh yea, I did have an Arctic Silver 2007 Cayman and did enjoy it, so silvers do work nicely with Caymans..
D

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
There's a great orange on the GT3...

·
Registered
779 Posts
If you're asking others what color to get then I'm guessing it is not that important of a consideration to you (on the other hand, there were only a few colors I considered and since PTS was not an option....). If my assumption is correct, just get silver -- blend in with the herd -- and be done with it. :>

If you want to be bolder then get the second best non-PTS color, sapphire blue

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you're asking others what color to get then I'm guessing it is not that important of a consideration to you (on the other hand, there were only a few colors I considered and since PTS was not an option....). If my assumption is correct, just get silver -- blend in with the herd -- and be done with it. :>

If you want to be bolder then get the second best non-PTS color, sapphire blue
Sapphire blue was what I thought I wanted first . Then I moved to Dark Blue, then to Silver, then Black ... now I am back to Silver. I have a silver metallic car now and love the color . Depending on the weather / lighting conditions it has quite a different look .

·
Registered
70 Posts
Inkatouring, how accurate would you say your pic is of racing yellow? I'm asking because I really like your car with the black wheels. Thinking about going that route with GT4.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Okay. buy a Cayman in Sapphire Blue Metallic; a Cayman S in Dark Blue; a GTS in Rhodium Silver; and a GT4 in Black. See how easy that is? No more tough decisions, other than which one to drive each time . . .

·
Registered
63 Posts
Jet Black is not as hard as you think to keep clean, it's not any harder to keep clean than any dark color. Black that is not metallic. is hard to keep clean.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I like the silver / black motif. Pics of my rhodium silver from different angles / light clicky.

·
Registered
245 Posts
We saw a sapphire blue CS and my wife just said one word: "Wow". It really does suit the 981 well. I like it better on the 981 than on the 991, personally.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
go to a dealer and see them in the flesh. I love Sapphire in pics, hate it in person. Look at a bunch together - the winner will be calling out to you
allPTS.jpg

Reactions: btwyx
1 - 20 of 41 Posts