Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay. I drove 35 miles to a local Porsche dealer. I stood there in the middle of the show room. Two sales guys were standing around talking. One guy was sitting at a desk. One sales guy looked at me and then disappeared into an office. I stood there waiting for a few minutes. Nobody came over to help me. The guy at the desk wouldn't look up. Nobody said a word to me. I drove up in a late model BMW. I don't know if anybody saw me drive up or not. My intention was to try the power seat adjustments for the Cayman. On their website they list two Caymans with power seats.

Should I have called first? Should I have stayed in the shower an extra 3 minutes? Maybe because it's the end of the year these guys were too busy with deadlines and paper work to concern themselves with me?

I would like to start over and go back there tomorrow morning and achieve better results.

When I got home, my wife says I should have gotten angry and spoken my mind when they ignored me, but that's not my style.

Suggestions?:confused:

The one good thing today. The wife has finally relented and at last has approved me for future Cayman ownership. :beer:

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
Okay. I drove 35 miles to a local Porsche dealer. I stood there in the middle of the show room. Two sales guys were standing around talking. One guy was sitting at a desk. One sales guy looked at me and then disappeared into an office. I stood there waiting for a few minutes. Nobody came over to help me. The guy at the desk wouldn't look up. Nobody said a word to me. I drove up in a late model BMW. I don't know if anybody saw me drive up or not. My intention was to try the power seat adjustments for the Cayman. On their website they list two Caymans with power seats.

Should I have called first? Should I have stayed in the shower an extra 3 minutes? Maybe because it's the end of the year these guys were too busy with deadlines and paper work to concern themselves with me?

I would like to start over and go back there tomorrow morning and achieve better results.

When I got home, my wife says I should have gotten angry and spoken my mind when they ignored me, but that's not my style.

Suggestions?:confused:

The one good thing today. The wife has finally relented and at last has approved me for future Cayman ownership. :beer:
Some people like to set everything up in advance to avoid that tension that seems to hang in the air. Make an appointment. Look online and see if they have an internet sales person. Work with that person.

FWIW, when my car is in for service they ignore me completely. :cheers:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Must have been the bib overalls and straw hat - ;>)

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have had that happen before. I suppose Porsche Dealers don't get too many walk up buyers. Most, these days seem to contact prior to.

On one occasion I had an appointment and I had to wait 20 min. Good thing about that was the sales person walked up with the key to the car and said go enjoy it for 20-30min. Didn't buy that car but it planted a seed, and bought one 2 weeks later.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guess I should have made an appointment. Either that or I shoulda yelled HELP at the top of my lungs. :beer:

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
That's certainly disappointing to hear. I would think dealers would be all over any potential new customer.

I can't get the folks at my dealership to leave me alone when I walk in (even before I became known as the local Porsche geek).

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
I think it generally depends on the dealership and philosophy of the sales manager. In our local dealership I usually get approached by 2-3 salesman when I'm just strolling thru the showroom while my car is in service (and I dress pretty casually :) ).

In your case, I would have approached the guy sitting there and asked if there was someone that could help me; if you really wanted to make an impression, you could have just wandered back into the offices and maybe run into the sales manager and ask him/her if there were any salespeople around. ;)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's certainly disappointing to hear. I would think dealers would be all over any potential new customer.

I can't get the folks at my dealership to leave me alone when I walk in (even before I became known as the local Porsche geek).
I got the impression that perhaps they weren't going to be around much longer. I was the only civilian in the room and they couldn't have cared less.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I think it generally depends on the dealership and philosophy of the sales manager. In our local dealership I usually get approached by 2-3 salesman when I'm just strolling thru the showroom while my car is in service (and I dress pretty casually :) ).

In your case, I would have approached the guy sitting there and asked if there was someone that could help me; if you really wanted to make an impression, you could have just wandered back into the offices and maybe run into the sales manager and ask him/her if there were any salespeople around. ;)
Yes. I could have approached the guy sitting at the back of the show room, but I was annoyed that a sales guy saw me and without saying anything left the room and went to the back leaving me alone in the showroom with the guy sitting in the back of the store who never even looked up at me. At least say "someone will be with you soon". Say anything but don't completely ignore me.
I even sat in my car for 10 minutes after, wondering if any of them would come out, but none did.
They must be trying out a new sales technique, the low pressure sale. Maybe I bought something and I didn't even realize it. :sleep:

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Could just be the dealership style. Sometimes my dealership ignores me, sometimes they say hello, sometimes they want to chat and I don't want to, etc.

The guy who left could've had the trots and had to leave quick while the guy behind the desk might have been comatose. Walk into the office next time and nudge his shoulder or kick his chair - then wink if you catch his eye. That usually gets them on the phone to security or something and will most likely break the ice.

Just walking in and announcing that you're there to pick up your GT3RS that your dad bought you sometimes gets them to respond. That's usually when my dealership guys ignore me though, so you have to try different techniques.

Stand in front of a 911 and ask to see the engine - good for eyeball rolls from some. Have some fun!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Could just be the dealership style. Sometimes my dealership ignores me, sometimes they say hello, sometimes they want to chat and I don't want to, etc.

The guy who left could've had the trots and had to leave quick while the guy behind the desk might have been comatose. Walk into the office next time and nudge his shoulder or kick his chair - then wink if you catch his eye. That usually gets them on the phone to security or something and will most likely break the ice.

Just walking in and announcing that you're there to pick up your GT3RS that your dad bought you sometimes gets them to respond. That's usually when my dealership guys ignore me though, so you have to try different techniques.

Stand in front of a 911 and ask to see the engine - good for eyeball rolls from some. Have some fun!
I'm going back tomorrow morning. They have a 2006 CS with power seats that I want to sit in to see if I can adjust it for my 6'2" 34" inseam frame.

Maybe I should walk in like this: :dance:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm going back tomorrow morning. They have a 2006 CS with power seats that I want to sit in to see if I can adjust it for my 6'2" 34" inseam frame.
FWIW, I'm 6'2 and have a 36" inseam, and my non-power seats fit me just fine. In my case, very rarely does someone else drive the car, so the seats never need readjusting, and hence I don't miss the power function. Of course, your situation may be different. Mine is also a 2006, though I don't believe there have been any changes to the interior dims on the gen 2.

As for the dealer issue: when my car is in for service (and I'm browsing the inventory) I almost always get approached -- albeit in a very low key way. At my dealership (Rusnak Pasadena), they sell Jaguar, Bentley, Porsche and Audi at the same store, so I think they assume they're dealing with an upscale clientele. My experience is that assumption is reflected in their sales tactics.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FWIW, I'm 6'2 and have a 36" inseam, and my non-power seats fit me just fine. In my case, very rarely does someone else drive the car, so the seats never need readjusting, and hence I don't miss the power function. Of course, your situation may be different. Mine is also a 2006, though I don't believe there have been any changes to the interior dims on the gen 2.

As for the dealer issue: when my car is in for service (and I'm browsing the inventory) I almost always get approached -- albeit in a very low key way. At my dealership (Rusnak Pasadena), they sell Jaguar, Bentley, Porsche and Audi at the same store, so I think they assume they're dealing with an upscale clientele. My experience is that assumption is reflected in their sales tactics.
I hate having to drive down there again, but I do want to audition the seat.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I would suggest asking a question of one of them. That would let them know that you are seriously interested in looking at a car not 'just looking'. Has always worked for me.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Call ahead, tell the saleserspn that you are interested in the car but, due to your tall status, that you would like to try out the power seats. Get the salesperson's name and tell them when you will be there. That salesperson will be waiting at the door for you,.holding their breath and have bells on their toes. Especially if you go today (last day of the month and year - quotas).

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I wouldnt have let it pass. IMHO, you should have gone to the sales manager, spoke your mind and left for another dealer!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wouldnt have let it pass. IMHO, you should have gone to the sales manager, spoke your mind and left for another dealer!
I agree except they are the only dealer within reach that has power seats in a Cayman.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Test out the "fit" at that dealer, then find your Porsche somewhere else. If they don't want your sales business, DO NOT give it to them! There are plenty of great Porsche dealers who value your business.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts