Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 60 of 6083 Posts

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
where did you get them? What's the installation procedure?

I want....
Over the weekend I drove from OC to Vegas for a quick get away and picked up the lights from my dealer in Riverside; as it was on the way and to use the gift certificate before it expired.

However, one of the sponsor here has them for much better price even with shipping cost. Here is the link and installation instruction video

Clear Side Marker Lights - 2012+:porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Over the weekend I drove from OC to Vegas for a quick get away and picked up the lights from my dealer in Riverside; as it was on the way and to use the gift certificate before it expired.

However, one of the sponsor here has them for much better price even with shipping cost. Here is the link and installation instruction video

Clear Side Marker Lights - 2012+:porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn
Thanks! Ordered.
That has got to be easiest installation ever. I was afraid it requires bumper removal etc :)

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Are the clear markers only standard in Europe? I see alot of video's from there that have the boxsters with clear markers.
The clear marker is standard in Europe. The service adviser said the clear unit I bought is straight out of Porsche Europe's parts bin.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Clear sidmarkers - done. Looks awesome on a black car. It's no comparison.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
All I can do is build it over and over, I think I got my spec nailed down though! :banana:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Sun Coast has the clear markers. Mine, along with the plastic Porche Crest valve caps and battery tender/charger are already here. Side makers will go on straightaway! They look nice, FYI, very high quality.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Mike

Where do you plug in the charger/tender, wihich plug in or do you connect directly to battery.

Rick
Tricky. From what I have heard, only one of the three sockets will work, the one that does the cigarette lighter. The other two are not active when the car is off (I think) and can't handle the charger current.

The charger is slick, waterproof, dual mode, fast charge and battery maintenance. I will drive the car often, but I find that keeping batterys on a good charger extends their life quite a bit. Easy when you have a garage. I kept the Lotus on a charger all the time, and top off my BMW every couple of months, more often in winter.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Q...give us a tease how "981" performed?
The 981S is awesome!!!! Press the gas and VROOOOM the car jumps and accelerates. Step on the brake and it decelerates as commanded with no noticeable fading on a very hot day of almost 100 degree. When you turn the steering wheel the car responded immediately. The handling is so good that it's actually scary and made you wondered.

The steering wheel is great! It works with you instead of against you. It feels alive and became an extension of you on the track.

On the slalom section I weaved through the cones with ease and abled to position the car exactly where I want it :eek:...ok, ok, ok "position the car exactly where I want it" sounded so wrong for a driver like me. Let's say I can go through the slalom at very high speed without knocking over any cone :banana:.

PASM worked great with no noticeable body roll and PSM is non intrusive as it didn't intervene at all.

On a constant/decreasing radius turn when I entered too hot the car will understeer gently, no plowing mind you. I can ease the throttle to let the front tires bite and the car will follow the intended path. On occation I was able to induce oversteer to help the car rotate (Don't ask me how but I did it two or three times :hilarious:)

I am putting myself on the line right now to say that with a competent driver (not me) the 981S will give the CR and Spyder a good run for the money if not better them.

BTW, I drove shotgun in one of the instructor 987 Boxster on the autoX and I like the sound of my 981S better.

I think I need new tires soon :cheers:

·
Registered
343 Posts
The 981S is awesome!!!! Press the gas and VROOOOM the car jumps and accelerates. Step on the brake and it decelerates as commanded with no noticeable fading on a very hot day of almost 100 degree. When you turn the steering wheel the car responded immediately. The handling is so good that it's actually scary and made you wondered.

The steering wheel is great! It works with you instead of against you. It feels alive and became an extension of you on the track.

On the slalom section I weaved through the cones with ease and abled to position the car exactly where I want it :eek:...ok, ok, ok "position the car exactly where I want it" sounded so wrong for a driver like me. Let's say I can go through the slalom at very high speed without knocking over any cone :banana:.

PASM worked great with no noticeable body roll and PSM is non intrusive as it didn't intervene at all.

On a constant/decreasing radius turn when I entered too hot the car will understeer gently, no plowing mind you. I can ease the throttle to let the front tires bite and the car will follow the intended path. On occation I was able to induce oversteer to help the car rotate (Don't ask me how but I did it two or three times :hilarious:)

I am putting myself on the line right now to say that with a competent driver (not me) the 981S will give the CR and Spyder a good run for the money if not better them.

BTW, I drove shotgun in one of the instructor 987 Boxster on the autoX and I like the sound of my 981S better.

I think I need new tires soon :cheers:

Thanks for the review...:cheers:

Sounds like the car did all, and more than to be expected. You mentioned no brake fade. How hard and long were you on the binders during a run, time frame?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Thanks for the review...:cheers:

Sounds like the car did all, and more than to be expected. You mentioned no brake fade. How hard and long were you on the binders during a run, time frame?
We had 2 practice run sessions of 4 runs each and one timed session of 4 runs for a total of 12 runs or laps. The course map is inserted below. The official results are not available yet but from what I saw the fastest one is at high sixty and slow is around a hundred seconds. Not sure what the top speed was but I know I was up to around 6500 RPM on second gear.

I braked quite heavily and frequently on the first session as I learn the car and the course. On the second session I reduced braking significantly but still engage ABS a few times as I had entered the curve too hot (Note to Q - brake on the straight not in the curve :hilarious: ) As you can see from the map there are some heavy braking areas.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Replaced the amber side marker lights with clear units. Which one do you like better?

Original yellow = FUGLY!!!

Clear = SWEET!

Already have mine from Suncoast sitting here waiting. They'll be on the car before it leaves the dealership. I'd hate to get a ticket for "ugly yellow lights" on the way home! :)

For some reason personally I think the orangish yellow color clashes with the Racing Yellow much worse than it does with any of the other colors, although I thing that the clear do look MUCH better on any of them. It's a very inexpensive fix!

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Bumping this up. Surely you 981 owners are putting clears on your cars. Or washing it. Or tracking it. Or...

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
With the weather getting colder, I'm actually thinking of making a plexi windscreen instead of that terrible non-transparent thingy in conv. package.

41 - 60 of 6083 Posts