Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
6281 - 6300 of 6353 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Took possession of a new to me 2014 981 Cayman Base. First order of business was changing the body color radiator grilles to matte black using the Suncoast Porsche kit. Pretty straightforward if you are comfortable removing the front bumper.
I just noticed we both have a Subie too!

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
138 Posts
I installed the 718 like new
brace that Mitch48 sold on the classified section. Easy install and used my right angle impact with a short broken drill bit to drill a pilot hole from the top and finished with a step bit for the additional bolt for the brace to pan connection. This avoided removal of the pan and have the recommended alignment if the pan is removed.
Jim

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Yes that is it. Both of my parts and the parts numbers shown on the image I posted in post #6,280 came from Suncoast Porsche. It took about a month to get them from Germany as these are not common on the shelf parts it seems

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
138 Posts
I bought a matte red 3M film sample for $2.50 on Amazon and cut a 1/2” wide strip and have a steering wheel upgrade that is a good match for the red leather option.
Jim
Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did a couple cheap mods to my new to me 2014 BS. I didn't like how dark the frunk and trunk were. About 10 years ago, I added some cheap LED light strips under the front trunk lip of my Miata and it has worked great. I decided to do the same to the Boxster. I tapped the wires for the stock light so they turn on and off at the same time and connected them with XT30 connectors so they can be easily removed. I also added some cheap cargo nets I picked up off of Amazon to hold some cleaning supplies that had been rolling around. The nets were $10 for a pair so I did not expect much, but fits the frunk like it was made for the car. Overall with the lights, not bad for under $30.

Light Strips
Cargo Nets

·
Registered
34,356 Posts
Did a couple cheap mods to my new to me 2014 BS. I didn't like how dark the frunk and trunk were. About 10 years ago, I added some cheap LED light strips under the front trunk lip of my Miata and it has worked great. I decided to do the same to the Boxster. I tapped the wires for the stock light so they turn on and off at the same time and connected them with XT30 connectors so they can be easily removed. I also added some cheap cargo nets I picked up off of Amazon to hold some cleaning supplies that had been rolling around. The nets were $10 for a pair so I did not expect much, but fits the frunk like it was made for the car. Overall with the lights, not bad for under $30.

Lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071K8KZZC/
Nets: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071K8KZZC/
You have the lights with the link for nets. Can you add the one for the lights? Thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks for catching that. I just edited my post and fixed the links.
Thanks. I like the nets. Have a couple in my Golf and Outback.

I added some Plastidip and black mesh over the weekend.

Before:

After:

Then tested it out on a drive to meet up with the Shenandoah Club.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This might be my first post, hah.

Took delivery of my car about 2 weeks ago, and installed a catback on my Boxster 981 today! Feels really good to say that! Next is that radio- the abysmal OEM CD player is getting the boot! Android Auto all the way!

·
Registered
71 Posts
This might be my first post, hah.

Took delivery of my car about 2 weeks ago, and installed a catback on my Boxster 981 today! Feels really good to say that! Next is that radio- the abysmal OEM CD player is getting the boot! Android Auto all the way!
Please let us know how you do that. I'm curious about upgrading mine, will it hook up to the factory speakers? Is there a subwoofer to hook up? Will it affect any of the remote locks? How do you fill the extra empty space around the stereo? I have lots of questions!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sure- I'll take some pictures and let you know what I use. I ordered 2 radio wiring harnesses already because none of them say 981 specifically (One for a 991, and the other for 987), but appear to be the correct adapter(s). I refused to get forced into paying 200+ USD to Suncoast for the 981 aftermarket radio kit if I don't have to so we'll see if they work!
I ordered a Metra Dash kit as well, looks (from what I pulled out of the box so far) looks like it fits in the stock spot quite nicely. There shouldn't be any extra space, but I cant quite answer the other questions yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Installed my Numeric shifter and cables, install went well. The directions are good, the only thing I did not like about the install was removing the cable retaining brackets to grind off the tab that retains the OEM cable so that it does not interfere with the lock nut and washer on the Numeric cable. Once this is done the brackets will need to be replaced if I would want to go back to OEM cables. I did not think about it at the time but I may have been able to grind a flat on the washer to retain the tab on the cable mounting bracket instead of grinding the tab off. This install took me about eight hours using conventional tools, no lift or anything special.

The Numeric shifter and cables makes the shifts more precise and the term bolt action is a good description. If you are looking for buttery smooth shifts this is not the setup you want, the original shifter was buttery smooth but not very precise and this is the reason I changed to the Numeric. Time will tell if the Numeric shifter will hold up to daily driving and keep it's bolt action feel. The OEM shifter and cables have 46K miles on them for reference.

6281 - 6300 of 6353 Posts