Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
6321 - 6340 of 6405 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Installed the Numeric Racing Shifter Cables since my OEM ones broke and I also installed an android head unit from Dasaita with the Metra dash kit and Eurospeed Harness on my 981.

Video of the shifting action here

It's paired with GT4 short shift kit. I'll be grabbing the Numeric Racing Shifter as well in the near future!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Installed the Numeric Racing Shifter Cables since my OEM ones broke and I also installed an android head unit from Dasaita with the Metra dash kit and Eurospeed Harness on my 981. View attachment 274959

It's paired with GT4 short shift kit. I'll be grabbing the Numeric Racing Shifter as well in the near future!
Looks like a nice new shifter cable!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Installed the Numeric Racing Shifter Cables since my OEM ones broke and I also installed an android head unit from Dasaita with the Metra dash kit and Eurospeed Harness on my 981.

Are broken shifter cables as common on 981s? I thought that was mainly a 987 issue. I had preemptively changed to numeric on my 987 didn't think I'd have to worry about it on my 981. I actually like the stock shifter feel on the 981 much more than the mushy 987 shifter.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Are broken shifter cables as common on 981s? I thought that was mainly a 987 issue. I had preemptively changed to numeric on my 987 didn't think I'd have to worry about it on my 981. I actually like the stock shifter feel on the 981 much more than the mushy 987 shifter.
Not as common definitely. There have been some cases and as 981s get up in mileage we'll probably hear about a few more.

My cable snapped at the transmission end:

I was downshifting into 2nd from 3rd and as soon as I pulled the lever back it lost all resistance and I got stuck in 3rd. I was able to drive home but had to get a flatbed to drop me into my garage since my driveway is too steep.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If I had a 987.1 6-speed, I would definitely swap for Numeric cables proactively. (the most common cable-breaking stories are these specific cars because of the stress of a very sharp bend in the cable route to the driver's side of the transmission)

The 987.2 6-speed is a little less common supposedly because Porsche addressed the support bracket that required the severe bend.

All other models have less risk of low mileage cable breaking, but in my opinion all Porsche shift cables should be replaced as age/mileage increases. Think of them as a wear item similar to a water pump?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
If I had a 987.1 6-speed, I would definitely swap for Numeric cables proactively. (the most common cable-breaking stories are these specific cars because of the stress of a very sharp bend in the cable route to the driver's side of the transmission)

The 987.2 6-speed is a little less common supposedly because Porsche addressed the support bracket that required the severe bend.

All other models have less risk of low mileage cable breaking, but in my opinion all Porsche shift cables should be replaced as age/mileage increases. Think of them as a wear item similar to a water pump?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
There's still quite a bit of a sharp bend for the driver side cable on the 981. At least in the 2.7.

After the cable crosses over from the passenger side at the shifter, the cable then goes through a sharp bend to the driver side bracket where it sits.

I asked Numeric Racing if I should re-route the cable to the other side of the throttle body but never really got a response.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Washed and ready for vacation in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Can I ask where you got the red Porsche signage from on the wall?

I would love to do that to my garage

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
I made them. CAD and 3D work is my profession and I have a 3D printer. I created the objects from the Porsche letters logo and printed them. It’s kind of temporary right now. I eventually want a base to mount them, I’m just not sure what yet.

Reactions: Slingshot

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I made them. CAD and 3D work is my profession and I have a 3D printer. I created the objects from the Porsche letters logo and printed them. It’s kind of temporary right now. I eventually want a base to mount them, I’m just not sure what yet.

I would make more and sell them but I have no doubt I would get a lawyer letter… and that’s fair. It’s not mine to sell.

·
Registered
285 Posts

I wonder if they were a touch larger, you could backlight them with some dimmable led strips.

But then hiding the power supply wiring becomes a challenge.

Very cool garage

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I wonder if they were a touch larger, you could backlight them with some dimmable led strips.

But then hiding the power supply wiring becomes a challenge.

Very cool garage

Bingo! That was my initial plan. I made them big enough for strip led lights I found online and the base I mentioned would hide all the wiring and wall wart. Would likely use a recessed duplex behind, like they used to do for clocks, and that’s all. It’s one of those projects that just keeps getting pushed back to make time for others. I threw them up here the other day to maybe spark my interest back up and move forward.

Thanks for the compliment…

Reactions: Slingshot

·
Premium Member
15 GTS
47 Posts
Went for a drive with a new neighbor…. Let him row the gears a bit too. Love getting people excited to #savethemanuals

6321 - 6340 of 6405 Posts