Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
6961 - 6980 of 7005 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
I flew home from Charleston SC to Idaho on New Year's eve; fully expecting to see snow on the ground and slush covered roads. To my surprise, all the snow was melted and the roads were perfectly clear. New Year's day brought sunny blue skies and cold 30 degree temps. Perfect day to stretch the legs of the 981s that I thought was laid up for the winter! Had a nice hour long drive up the Payette River scenic byway above Boise. It was a good day!

Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

· Registered
25 Posts
I did a minor cosmetic fix to the 981S this morning. One of the prior owners had drilled 4 nice holes in the front bumper for the plate mount. Bumperplugs.com to the rescue! I ordered up 4 plugs in Porsche Rhodium silver and they were in my mailbox 3 days later. Easy install by enlarging the holes to 9/32” and pushing the plugs in. Idaho does not enforce front plates, but I could easily mount one up if needed. The color match was perfect.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting

Audio equipment Gas Font Wood Musical instrument

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Grille Automotive tire

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Nice! I so wish states would not mandate front plates. I recently wrote my state representative about that and VA’s antiquated no radar detector laws.

As for me, I went ahead and replaced my front pads with Hawk HPS 5.0. First time doing that on this car. Pretty straightforward thanks to Jeff’s video .

Shawn in VA (USA)

· Registered
183 Posts
Nice! I so wish states would not mandate front plates. I recently wrote my state representative about that and VA’s antiquated no radar detector laws.

As for me, I went ahead and replaced my front pads with Hawk HPS 5.0. First time doing that on this car. Pretty straightforward thanks to Jeff’s video .

Shawn in VA (USA)
Ohio finally eliminated the front plate requirement a couple of years ago, but I haven't mounted a front plate on any of my cars in at least 10 years (for the first few, I kept the extra plate and the front mounting bracket in the trunk in case I got stopped; I figured I could always talk my way out of a ticket if I could show I at least had the plate and the hardware, but I never got stopped).

Happily, nobody ever mounted a front plate on my Cayman (even though the first owner was in Jersey, which still requires one)...

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Ohio finally eliminated the front plate requirement a couple of years ago, but I haven't mounted a front plate on any of my cars in at least 10 years (for the first few, I kept the extra plate and the front mounting bracket in the trunk in case I got stopped; I figured I could always talk my way out of a ticket if I could show I at least had the plate and the hardware, but I never got stopped).

Happily, nobody ever mounted a front plate on my Cayman (even though the first owner was in Jersey, which still requires one)...
Good for OH! . After my little accident a few weeks ago I had the plate holes filled and bumper respayed. Plate is on standby with my “excuse” in case asked

Shawn in VA (USA)

· Registered
25 Posts
Those Bumper Plugs look nice and clean.
I've been on the fence about getting these....
Yes, I'm very happy with the results vs. the four ugly screw holes that were there before. I'd thought about taking it in to have the holes filled and the bumper repainted, but with my luck I'd get pulled over for no front plate a day later... The "Bumperplugs" are just the right size without being too large, and they have every Porsche paint code available. They were not cheap at $75.80 for 4 plugs delivered, but the paint quality is very good.

· Registered
2013 Boxster S
260 Posts
I had good luck with PD on my son’s 330Ci. I’ll keep you posted. It was ~$100 investment (not counting the several hours of labor; but I work cheap!)

Shawn in VA (USA)
I’m actually thinking of doing this with matte/burnt bronze, as close as I can to the color of my Soul tips. Glad I’m not the only one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
183 Posts
Thought I’d play around with some grey Hyperdip (new form of Plastidip). I kinda like it. We’ll see how long it lasts.

Shawn in VA (USA)
They look great, Shawn!

Which color specifically did you get? (I was looking at a Hyper Dip wheel kit, too, and couldn't decide between the Anthracite and Stealth Greys.)

Also curious how you handled the center caps? Did you mask off the badge, spray the whole cap and use badge decals (as suggested by Gabe at DYC when I asked), or did you do something else?

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Thanks guys.

Correction: I got Anthracite and am glad I didn’t go any darker! I’d actually prefer a bit lighter but I’m sure this will grow on me.

I was worried about the crests and before I was even finished was considering buying new grey/black ones from the guy in the UK. I’m glad I waited. The caps actually popped right out when I was done (not sealed with dip) and I ran a small pick around the crest and pealed the dip right off!

I’ll have to see how that holds up and if the edges begin to peel up. If so I can always just remove the cap and respray it.
One option is to leave them coated but I like the contrast of the color (non dipped).

Not perfect but looks ok for now.

Shawn in VA (USA)

· Registered
13 Posts
Looks good from here and I find this very encouraging. The car I am looking at has black wheels, and I don't mean to knock anyone's preferences but I don't like black wheels.

With the Hyperdip, how is the texture? Is the surface smooth like paint where it would be easy to wash off brake dust?

From the descriptions most of the colors have a matte finish.

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Looks good from here and I find this very encouraging. The car I am looking at has black wheels, and I don't mean to knock anyone's preferences but I don't like black wheels.

With the Hyperdip, how is the texture? Is the surface smooth like paint where it would be easy to wash off brake dust?

From the descriptions most of the colors have a matte finish.
Thanks and I agree with you on not liking black wheels but TEHO. The surface is pretty smooth. I'm used to using PD and the HD goes on differently. Be sure to watch several of Fonzie's videos (I'm sure you already have!). Here is one with the Stealth Black paint and some tips on applying the "wet coats"--which I probably didn't do very well as I was worried about runs...

On the brake dust, I just put on new Hawk pads that are supposed to be "lower" dust but we'll see. I did buy the Brake Dust Professional 32oz – DipYourCar.com from dipyourcar and considered also buying the Dip Coat™ Protective Spray 32 oz – DipYourCar.com but held off on it, the black PD I had on my son's E46 lasted for about a year (sold the car with it on there as the buyer liked the look). FYI, next time I would probably spring for the $10 spray trigger device.

· Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the tips and advice. Yes I have watched a few of the videos, my main take away was that the hyperdip requires 4 dusting coats before you go heavy. I have never used plastidip on anything before so I don't have any reference.

Wheel cleaner:
Scrubbing brake dust stains and caked on gunk is no fun, especially on multi spoke wheels. My BBS wheels on my R32 needs some of this. I remember buying a product from the local autoparts store that worked pretty well a few years back, it was Mequiars or Chemical guys, I don't remember for sure. After that I switched to Ceramic brake pads so it has not been as much of an issue but the last deep cleaning did not get rid of all of the gunk and it was for sure not "touchless" It required scrubbing to make any progress.

6961 - 6980 of 7005 Posts