Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

What did you do to your 981 today?

1M views 7K replies 802 participants last post by  981RSC 
#1 ·
Given how much fun the 987 version of this thread is, I thought I'd start one in the new 981 forum so that I can live vicariously through you guys and gals.

It might take some time for this thread to get traction, but maybe Ken can make this one a sticky as well.

I'll start by saying that I'm going to the 981 launch at my dealer ~5 hours from now.

#3 ·
Since I'm waiting for the Spyder, I started digging around for more 991 GT3 information. Until the GT3 hits, the Spyder won't have its seats.

The Cayman is earmarked for its debut this year at Geneva, and my current guess is the GT3 will bow at the 2013 New York International Auto Show. My guess is it won't be until Geneva 2013 that we hear about the Boxster Spyder, and probably early 2014 for the Cayman R.

#13 ·
Painted my exhaust tips black with heat resistant paint. First mod!

Oh, and washed it 3 times over weekend, and fully detailed then.

Reactions: XZL8R
#37 ·
The clear ones:)

#40 ·
Washed my car and waxed every surface again. Two coats on the front 1/3. That would be 4 coats of wax total. In 3 weeks of ownership. Is there AA for wax addicts?

#46 ·
Clear sidmarkers - done. Looks awesome on a black car. It's no comparison.

#47 ·
All I can do is build it over and over, I think I got my spec nailed down though! :banana:

#77 ·
Mike:

Those Porsche Crest/Skull design/German flag stripe tire valve caps are aluminum. The valve isn't. If you let this type of cap sit a long time on the valves, there will be a galvanic reaction between the metals and your caps will become quite stuck onto the valves. It can get so bad that the valve stem is damaged when you try to get the cap off with a wrench or pliers.

Lightly coating the threads with anti-seize helps. Removing and replacing the caps often helps too. Using those good nickel-plated steel caps with little rubber o-rings in them is the best idea, though. No maintenance required.

Whatever you use, make sure it's metal with a gasket that will seal air in.

Valve caps do more than keep dirt and moisture out if the valve. When running at high speeds, centrifugal force can open the valves slightly and cause an air leak...Just what you do not need at high speed. Good valve caps are needed to keep the air in and prevent air loss.

Plastic works if it's a bicycle or a motorcycle front wheel with a valve that comes out sideways, but if the valve faces the center of the wheel and the vehicle will see speeds substantially higher than 80mph, you need good valve caps capable of sealing in the air.

These aluminum caps will do it, but one must be aware of the galvanic risk and manage it...Ask me how I know!

:cheers: