Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

7321 - 7338 of 7338 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
What color was the powder coat? Maybe Black Chrome?
DSC_0057.JPG

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lifted my new to me 987.2 Base (first Porsche) on my new Safe Jacks. Stripped the 8mm allen head while REMOVING the engine oil drain plug. Realized I ordered the wrong sized oil filter. Ordered a new LN billet drain plug. Realized that working on Japanese cars my whole life has not prepared me for this moment. 😁

this is my first post

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,762 Posts
Lifted my new to me 987.2 Base (first Porsche) on my new Safe Jacks. Stripped the 8mm allen head while REMOVING the engine oil drain plug. Realized I ordered the wrong sized oil filter. Ordered a new LN billet drain plug. Realized that working on Japanese cars my whole life has not prepared me for this moment.

this is my first post

View attachment 266983 View attachment 266984
Welcome to the world of Porsche ownership Thanks for getting that first post out of the way. You're not the first one to strip a drain plug. Poke around the site, and make good use of the search function, and you'll find most everything you'll ever need to know about your 987.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
TL;DR from the service section thread: I found wet passenger carpet yesterday, then poked around only to find a pretty gross mouse nest integrated into the cabin air filter. Their work was amateur at best.

They also ate a decent amount of the foam covers that keep water out of said filter, hence my swampy passenger floor. I swore mightily, replaced said filter, and while waitng for a replacement cover have managed to make a temporary fix using Amazon bubble-mailer. I'm kind of weirdly proud of my Jerry-rigged cover :p

Behold:

Thankfully, I saw no signs of current habitation, and neither the water nor sharp little rodent teeth appear to have caused any further damage to the body or electrical systems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Spent about 8 hours over a couple of days installing Numeric cables and their short shifter. With all of your blogs the job was relatively easy. Taking out the passenger seat gave me more room and less chance of scratching up the interior. 5DA4A8B5-E322-479C-B8B1-0A2C926CE5CB.jpeg 77A3DE2A-8CC5-4B8C-A725-B595E72CA426.jpeg E21972DC-735D-4DFF-9959-61A877F417F4.jpeg

·
Registered
951 Posts
RasJay - So, what do you think about your new shifting experience?

·
Registered
10 Posts
RasJay - So, what do you think about your new shifting experience?
This is the first SS I have had on any car (short of trimming the shifter down on an 87 GTI) so my opinion may be biased. I set my Numeric on the lowest of the three holes. I now understand what people mean by "bolt action" and "mechanical" feel. It feels very much like working my old Yugoslavian 8mm bolt action rifle :D. Shifting from gear to gear has a very click click feel and audible sound, however takes very little effort. It is so accurate that you can precisely feel transmission shift into gear. Reverse takes quite a bit of effort with the shifter set on the lowest/shortest setting. You cannot accidentally shift into reverse.

While in gear there is a slight bit of play left and right which I compared with Numerics videos and it appears normal. Numeric does ship some rubber vacuum line to install over the cables but I re-used the factory insulated hose instead. I am getting a new sound in the cab that is similar to a playing card against your bike spokes. A fast click click click, or tick tick tick that matches the rpms of the engine. It almost sounds as if it is coming from the from of the car or the center console area. One thing to note is that the Numeric cables are thicker and when re-installing the parking brake, it's metal bracket pushes down on the cables in order to screw the parking brake chassis into the floor. I believe sound is transmitting from this metal bracket to cable contact.

All in all the Numeric Short Shifter feels and sounds fantastic (except the playing card in bicycle spokes sound I mentioned). I like the click click action of changing gears.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Changed transmission and engine mounts.
Replaced with Function First parts, amazing différence

·
Registered
4 Posts
New clear gravel guards on rear fenders. New brake lamps and detailed the battery compartment. Added new sun shade from Porsche for front windscreen. Vacuumed front radiators. Replenished Kegerator, most important part of the day.

·
Registered
951 Posts
sk8Flyer- now that you have installed the motor and transmission mounts, a rear Pedro Technobrace and a front Racing Dynamics frame braces may be of use. The rear bar stabilizes the two frame rails from moving while threshold braking or on turn in, while the Racing Dynamics front strut brace reduces movement of the upper spring/shock mount, noticeable when braking downhill and during turnin on slalom runs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
sk8Flyer- now that you have installed the motor and transmission mounts, a rear Pedro Technobrace and a front Racing Dynamics frame braces may be of use. The rear bar stabilizes the two frame rails from moving while threshold braking or on turn in, while the Racing Dynamics front strut brace reduces movement of the upper spring/shock mount, noticeable when braking downhill and during turnin on slalom runs.
Do you need to modify or trim any of the plastic covers in order to run the racing dynamics front strut brace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
951 Posts
Nope, the brace fit without any modification. I believe you have looked at the Boxster brace, which fit from the middle of the dash to the shock towers, while the Cayman brace connects the towers together.

7321 - 7338 of 7338 Posts