Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

7601 - 7620 of 7669 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
987 box S

I have a question for you all. I have owned my 987 for 6 years at this point and recently have noticed a strange sound which is difficult to track. It goes as follows

immediately just after releasing the clutch and the car moves I get a slight squeak/ chirp

this is the same in both forward and reverse

however ... it cannot be heard when the engine is off

I have tried without actuating the brakes and have the same noise

however with engine off letting it go down hill of its on weight no noise - forward and reverse

pushing the car with engines off - no noise

engine on pushing the car can hear the noise just after approx 1/2 wheel rotation no activation of the brakes beforehand

spinning the wheel on stands each corner no noise

bouncing suspension no noise

tried pulling the handbrake up a few notches and still get the noise

tried moving off with brakes gently applied same noisw which can faintly be heard over the brake
Wheels are solid when rocking in all directions by hand

checked all the rubbers, basically all joints and suspension / sway bushes are newly replaced / stock PASM - had the issue before this work anyway all torqued time spec double and triple checked

the noise seems to come from the passenger side and is more noticeable when your sitting in the drivers seat

bugs the life out of me

·
Registered
47 Posts
Replaced the Cayman hatch struts with new ones. My old ones were thunking and would not pull up the hatch automatically when pushed up.

New ones seem lot easier to open and hopefully the thunking is stopped over B roads.

·
Registered
2006 CS manual
28 Posts
"immediately just after releasing the clutch and the car moves I get a slight squeak/ chirp"

could it be clutch related?

Just installed this purple thing, wow what a difference....not, just firmer bushing feel no difference, $15 more than OEM so why not.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Installed the Carnewal GTS (aka Cayman R) exhaust today. It has the 55mm pipes instead of 48mm on the base / S Caymans.

Wow!! Blown away by the sound (and small boost in power)!! Sound clip coming soon...

Note that I have the 2.7 gen1 base. If you talk to Gert at Carnewal he can make this GTS exhaust for gen1 as well (for base or S). I've only seen one other P9 member with a Gen1 + GTS exhaust (where I got the idea to do the same).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ordered the full Numeric treatment and an Raceseng Prolix shift knob as well as an LN Deep Sump Kit... I should be getting my ‘07 S from the shipping company around the same time all of these arrives as well, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Replaced the passenger side seat back release knob. $83 for a plastic knob -- that's pretty hefty Porsche tax!

-RobT

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Hurricane Region PCA Historian
924 Posts
"immediately just after releasing the clutch and the car moves I get a slight squeak/ chirp"

could it be clutch related?

Just installed this purple thing, wow what a difference....not, just firmer bushing feel no difference, $15 more than OEM so why not.

View attachment 269682
I replaced all the suspension bushings on my 944 S2 with Powerflex and was amazed at the improvement over the old, worn out parts. The car handled much better and at the same time the improvement in ride was amazing. (The S2 has a nice, long wheelbase.)

·
Registered
2006 CS manual
28 Posts
I replaced all the suspension bushings on my 944 S2 with Powerflex and was amazed at the improvement over the old, worn out parts. The car handled much better and at the same time the improvement in ride was amazing. (The S2 has a nice, long wheelbase.)

yeah my experience with urethan bushings is with my prev. track car and Miata but most of time I installed with larger sway bar so I feel the difference right away. either way I don't have to think about it for awhile or until it squeaks :)

These Caymans handles pretty well from the factory.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Just installed the bigger pipe Cayman R exhaust form AdamCaymanR. No more drone from my local hacked stock S mufflers... Next up .. still considering the Carnewal 200 cell cats.

·
Hurricane Region PCA Historian
924 Posts

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,841 Posts
...indeed, it should be! Your "new" car looks to be in excellent condition. Welcome, and please let us know your driving impressions.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 CS manual
28 Posts
checked my oil temp gauge vs. Durameric reading, ...pretty close 👍

·
Registered
2006 Cayman S
30 Posts
I played another round of Let's Replace Parts, and rolled the dice on a set of Vredestein Ultrac Vorti tires that were a PITA to install (stiff sidewalls with a healthy lip protector :D).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Today I spent a very happy couple of hours with a fine sable paintbrush pulling polish residue from two of the four rubber seals that run either side of the roof strips and freshening them up with Gummi Pflege liquid. It keeps me out of trouble :)

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S and 2010 GT3
161 Posts
Today I spent a very happy couple of hours with a fine sable paintbrush pulling polish residue from two of the four rubber seals that run either side of the roof strips and freshening them up with Gummi Pflege liquid. It keeps me out of trouble :)
Masking tape before you polish works swell 😂

7601 - 7620 of 7669 Posts