Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

7781 - 7800 of 7835 Posts

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,852 Posts
To drain a small volume of oil (~4-8 fl. oz.), you could remove the oil filter canister and empty it. It can be a bit messy, but it'll work.
Best to discover the source of that oil leak, however. Leaks don't tend to get better with age. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S, Tiptronic
125 Posts
Thanks! I’m kind of grasping at straws as to the cause. Really thought it would be the oil separator but the area I was pinpointing doesn’t appear to be. Having only had the car a few months I’m still learning it’s quirks and nuances especially under the engine cover. As I mentioned, I found more oil in the AOS pipes then I think should be there but don’t know that oil in those areas equals oil being leaked outside? And I’ve read the pitfalls of over filling with oil but don’t know if that equates into a leak?

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,852 Posts
Over filling the oil just increases the likelihood of it getting sucked up into the AOS. When the AOS is overwhelmed, some of this oil gets past it and into the intake manifold. So, keeping the oil level at one bar below the full indication is a safe and practical compromise.
A Porsche Motorsports version AOS has ~2X the capacity of the production version, but costs ~10-15X more! If you frequently corner aggressively, on super sticky tires, and consistently overwhelm the AOS, then this option may be an unavoidable expense.
Even if this is the case, the oil shouldn't leak externally. So, it's best to resolve that issue first.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 CS manual
34 Posts
installed new rubber, PS4S, feels softer than old PS2, but better grip, maybe because is new.

Reactions: KL Cayman

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S, Tiptronic
125 Posts
Thanks! I’m kind of grasping at straws as to the cause. Really thought it would be the oil separator but the area I was pinpointing doesn’t appear to be. Having only had the car a few months I’m still learning it’s quirks and nuances especially under the engine cover. As I mentioned, I found more oil in the AOS pipes then I think should be there but don’t know that oil in those areas equals oil being leaked outside? And I’ve read the pitfalls of over filling with oil but don’t know if that equates into a leak?
And today the oil level reading was back to the next-to-the-top bar, as it had been. And no dripping...that seems to occur after it sits a couple of days.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I had a oil drip issue a few years ago, I would see a small amount of oil on top of the oil cooler, I would also get a drip on the floor after about a week, my mechanic said some of the hose clamps where a little loose.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S, Tiptronic
125 Posts
I took mine in to the indie repair shop for a coolant flush and fill. Also checked the source of my leak. Appears to be the transmission gasket (Tiptronic tranny). Scheduled it to be repaired next week.

·
Registered
Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK
104 Posts
Hello from Malaysia...
Went for my first annual service with my "new" 2011 987.2 Base PDK today, and took the chance to have my brakes checked - Ended up with new discs and pads too, so decided to indulge my non-S calipers with a lick of Guards Red paint and a couple layers of clear-coat too... I love the way they look now!

Care to guess how much this 2 day job cost me?

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S, Tiptronic
125 Posts
My son and I took my '08 Cayman S for a drive....from Amarillo to the D/FW area. over 800 miles round trip and the car performed flawlessly and was a blast to drive! I really enjoyed my new Sony XAV-AX5500 head unit.....helped pass the miles!

·
Registered
Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK
104 Posts
I had Lady Gaga's beats accompanying me to work on my CDR-30 this morning, yes a stock head unit … and (shudder!) stock 4-speaker set-up on my 987.2 2.9 L Base too! Enjoy your drive @Racer1735 … wow!

My son and I took my '08 Cayman S for a drive....from Amarillo to the D/FW area. over 800 miles round trip and the car performed flawlessly and was a blast to drive! I really enjoyed my new Sony XAV-AX5500 head unit.....helped pass the miles!

·
Registered
Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK
104 Posts
I knew someone would spot that … haha, in fact I did not notice until I took these close-up shots.
How much are lug bolts in the US? Do I need "original" Porsche ones...

@KLCayman - calipers look great! Now you need to do something with those rusty lug bolts :)

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S, Tiptronic
125 Posts
I had Lady Gaga's beats accompanying me to work on my CDR-30 this morning, yes a stock head unit … and (shudder!) stock 4-speaker set-up on my 987.2 2.9 L Base too! Enjoy your drive @Racer1735 … wow!
I do have the upgraded Bose system. Some audio shops wouldn’t touch it without replacing everything, but Bryan at 806 Autoworks Tackled it, no problem. I wasn’t expecting in-home fidelity sound but I think it sounds great! FM/Sirius XM/Apple CarPlay.

·
Registered
Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK
104 Posts
By the way, my Lady Gaga was playing from "The Fame (2009)" on a CD … Glad I did not chuck away some of my CDs, and now I have a CD player again in my 987.2 Base!

I have changed my mind, no cross-over and speaker upgrades, going to live with the stock CDR-30 and speaker set-up, and just enjoy the note from the straight-six boxer engine!

I do have the upgraded Bose system. Some audio shops wouldn’t touch it without replacing everything, but Bryan at 806 Autoworks Tackled it, no problem. I wasn’t expecting in-home fidelity sound but I think it sounds great! FM/Sirius XM/Apple CarPlay.

·
Registered
Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK
104 Posts
I thought these things were bullet-proof, surprised it actually goes dead!
Anyway, I quite like the non touch-screen retro look of the CDR-30, and it still makes me laugh when people start trying to press the screen. I remind them that the buttons are on the left and right!! Yes, physical buttons...

The stock CDR unit is ok....until it goes dead. Such as mine did. Then you go shopping!

7781 - 7800 of 7835 Posts