Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

7801 - 7820 of 7835 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S, Tiptronic
125 Posts
Yes, the CDR’s die. Suddenly and without warning. Sometimes it’s the fuse hidden in the back of the unit but often times it’s internal. And there is no repair

·
Registered
59 Posts
The red calipers lend some much needed contrast and "pop" against the Carrara White and black PS4s!

Hmm can't see them rusty lugs from a distance...

View attachment 271190
Is there a specific color of red that the calipers should be painted ?

I have a red Boxster (Ruby Red), if I paint the calipers should I paint them to match the Ruby Red or is there a standard "caliper red" ?

·
Registered
Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK
104 Posts
May be Porsche Guards Red LM3A but I could be mistaken - Left it to the "sifu" aka guru, at the workshop and paint shop!

I did find a link here:

Is there a specific color of red that the calipers should be painted ?

I have a red Boxster (Ruby Red), if I paint the calipers should I paint them to match the Ruby Red or is there a standard "caliper red" ?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Who did you get to program your new wheel?
Did you have to buy the steering module as well?

I'm about to upgrade also

Edit - I see your car is PDK, so I gather nothing needed. Direct swap.

I'm slushbox tiptronic
Much to do and nobody local to me to do it.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK
104 Posts
Hmmm yours is a nice flat-bottomed wheel, mines just.. plain round!

I'm about to upgrade also

I'm slushbox tiptronic

·
Registered
349 Posts
Snip of photos..

I'm slushbox tiptronic

No programming or module swapping needed. Plugged it in and the paddles worked.

What doesn't work (but I didn't expect it to) is the wheel has two display screens in the center of the left and right spokes.

When they're not on they really aren't visible - but if they did work, the left one has "Sport" and "Sport Plus" that would light up, and the right one would have "Launch Control" light up. It would be rather neat if they did work, but I didn't expect them to since this wheel wasn't around when my car was built, so Porsche had no reason to send those signals up to the wheel. They do light up in the instrument cluster, and Sport/Sport-Plus button light up when selected.

Reactions: KL Cayman

·
Registered
349 Posts
Enjoy the paddle shifters ... Love the new steering wheel and I see the centre console has also changed to Carrara White!? Wow!
Thanks! I think it makes it a really nice place to be. The wheel is more comfortable than the old one, the thumb notches fall right in place for my hands and the wheel has a slightly thicker girth to it.

Not sure what the next thing will be. The ignition key surround is bugging me a bit - it's that damn soft paint, and since it isn't illuminated at night it's gotten scratched up. I'm debating between stripping it and trying to find a paint finish that matches the light switch, or looking for a replacement like from a Cayenne - which has an LED illuminating it, and is made of that marvelous plastic-aluminum finish like the steering wheel and shifter uses. Research on that is required. Then another thing that I thought of was checking if the same mold was used for the inside door releases for the Boxster and the Cayenne. They look identical externally - except the Cayenne uses the plastic-aluminum finish, while the Boxster is pretty obviously painted. It would match the steering wheel very nicely if I could interchange them.

I'm always open for ideas.

Reactions: KL Cayman

·
Registered
Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK
104 Posts
Love the solid feel of the pedal shifters on our Sports steering wheel @deilenberger !

Here is my ignition key surround - Stock and 9 years old, but still does the job!

Thanks! I think it makes it a really nice place to be. The wheel is more comfortable than the old one, the thumb notches fall right in place for my hands and the wheel has a slightly thicker girth to it.

Not sure what the next thing will be. The ignition key surround is bugging me a bit - it's that damn soft paint, and since it isn't illuminated at night it's gotten scratched up. I'm debating between stripping it and trying to find a paint finish that matches the light switch, or looking for a replacement like from a Cayenne - which has an LED illuminating it, and is made of that marvelous plastic-aluminum finish like the steering wheel and shifter uses. Research on that is required. Then another thing that I thought of was checking if the same mold was used for the inside door releases for the Boxster and the Cayenne. They look identical externally - except the Cayenne uses the plastic-aluminum finish, while the Boxster is pretty obviously painted. It would match the steering wheel very nicely if I could interchange them.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Snip of photos..

No programming or module swapping needed. Plugged it in and the paddles worked.

What doesn't work (but I didn't expect it to) is the wheel has two display screens in the center of the left and right spokes.

When they're not on they really aren't visible - but if they did work, the left one has "Sport" and "Sport Plus" that would light up, and the right one would have "Launch Control" light up. It would be rather neat if they did work, but I didn't expect them to since this wheel wasn't around when my car was built, so Porsche had no reason to send those signals up to the wheel. They do light up in the instrument cluster, and Sport/Sport-Plus button light up when selected.
I read in one of the threads here that it can be programmed in. Sorry, can't recall which thread.

·
Registered
42 Posts

You can just get a new ignition key surround from Suncoast for $20. They also sell a leather wrapped one for like $180 which is silly but also wouldn't scratch like the painted pieces.

·
Registered
Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK
104 Posts
Ahh... the prices one can charge when one's item is a "Porsche" original spare!!

You can just get a new ignition key surround from Suncoast for $20. They also sell a leather wrapped one for like $180 which is silly but also wouldn't scratch like the painted pieces.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ahh... the prices one can charge when one's item is a "Porsche" original spare!!
Actually the leather wrapped one was $280.. with a 6 week wait while they find a cow, kill it, make leather, find a person to glue the leather on the surround.. $280 almost sounds reasonable ($20 sounds much more so..)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Actually the leather wrapped one was $280.. with a 6 week wait while they find a cow, kill it, make leather, find a person to glue the leather on the surround.. $280 almost sounds reasonable ($20 sounds much more so..)
Not a factory part, but its $185 for essentially the same exact thing 997/987 Leather Ignition Bezel

Personally I'd rather just buy a bunch of the plastic ones. It's basically a wear item. I just bought two. If the new one gets dinged up again eventually I'll replace it again with the spare.

·
Registered
Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK
104 Posts
What's the experience on this - 5000 oil change instead of 10 K?
Is this a "nice to do" or actually preserves our engines … or even improves performance?

I hesitate as it would cost me circa USD 130-150 to do this half-yearly instead of once a year, hmmm!

Oil change today. Almost 93k on the car and I do it every 5k.

·
Registered
Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK
104 Posts
Ah the bezel is a wear-part and is separate from the rest of the console. Did not realise one could just change the bezel, but its a lot of money for a small item!

Not a factory part, but its $185 for essentially the same exact thing 997/987 Leather Ignition Bezel

Personally I'd rather just buy a bunch of the plastic ones. It's basically a wear item. I just bought two. If the new one gets dinged up again eventually I'll replace it again with the spare.

7801 - 7820 of 7835 Posts