Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

7821 - 7840 of 7888 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
What's the experience on this - 5000 oil change instead of 10 K?
Is this a "nice to do" or actually preserves our engines … or even improves performance?

I hesitate as it would cost me circa USD 130-150 to do this half-yearly instead of once a year, hmmm!
I only drive my Cayman around 6000 miles per year so based on time its near due anyway. The 987s have a possible IMS problem and a possible bore scoring problem and I feel the 10k oil change is too long for these oportunities for disaster. Just my opinion but It is what I feel is needed. Cost to do it myself is around $70.

·
Registered
Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK
183 Posts
USD 70 is good value and certainly makes sense from a cost-benefit perspective.
And I forgot that you were describing MILES.

My oil change is based on 10 K km (6 K miles), which is roughly what I will do in my first year with my base 987.2 PDK.
So not far off from what you are doing - not to mention no IMS!

Thanks and enjoy your Cayman, @Poorsche x

I only drive my Cayman around 6000 miles per year so based on time its near due anyway. The 987s have a possible IMS problem and a possible bore scoring problem and I feel the 10k oil change is too long for these oportunities for disaster. Just my opinion but It is what I feel is needed. Cost to do it myself is around $70.

·
Registered
Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK
183 Posts
My local workshop charges... USD 130-140.
Ravenol 5W-40 @ USD 16 x 8
Mobil 1 5W-50 @ SUD 17 x 8

Oil filter is supplied by my workshop at USD 30.

Unfortunately, I do not have the know-how nor the facility to do the above myself … I get a free coffee and a chat with my local mechanic anyway, so happy to pay the premium!

·
Registered
896 Posts
USD 70 is good value and certainly makes sense from a cost-benefit perspective.
And I forgot that you were describing MILES.

My oil change is based on 10 K km (6 K miles), which is roughly what I will do in my first year with my base 987.2 PDK.
So not far off from what you are doing - not to mention no IMS!

Thanks and enjoy your Cayman, @Poorsche x

Your 987.2 should live a very long time with your maintennance schedule.(y)(y)

·
Registered
392 Posts
What's the experience on this - 5000 oil change instead of 10 K?
Is this a "nice to do" or actually preserves our engines … or even improves performance?

I hesitate as it would cost me circa USD 130-150 to do this half-yearly instead of once a year, hmmm!
It makes you feel twice as good... Actually - if you want to find out when oil changes should be done - sending a sample off to an oil-test lab is a worthwhile thing to do. Blackstone Labs is a favorite in the performance car world, and they provide an easy to understand report that will give you an idea of how long the oil can safely be used for. It's about $35 - but well worth it if it saves you the cost of unneeded oil changes.

FWIW - I do mine at 6,000 miles. Tests I've had done on lots of different engines show this to be "safe" - the additive package isn't depleted and the viscosity hasn't changed a bunch. But that's just me - you may have different standards.

Reactions: KL Cayman

·
Registered
Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK
183 Posts
Shall carry on with my 10 K km or 6 K miles service then.. Safe driving all!!

It makes you feel twice as good... Actually - if you want to find out when oil changes should be done - sending a sample off to an oil-test lab is a worthwhile thing to do. Blackstone Labs is a favorite in the performance car world, and they provide an easy to understand report that will give you an idea of how long the oil can safely be used for. It's about $35 - but well worth it if it saves you the cost of unneeded oil changes.

FWIW - I do mine at 6,000 miles. Tests I've had done on lots of different engines show this to be "safe" - the additive package isn't depleted and the viscosity hasn't changed a bunch. But that's just me - you may have different standards.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I am used to a 3000 mile Mobil 1 schedule on my motorcycles. So, 5000 miles isn't hard for my Cayman. It's once a year for me, as well.

If I were to store the car for the whole winter, I would do it at the beginning of storage so acids don't etch surfaces. However, I tend to drive my car all year, except in snow. I load up on the annual US Mobil 1 rebate sale, and get two 5Quart jugs for $13 each after rebate. I buy my filters 6 at a time. I ditched the LN Engineering spin on oil filter arrangement and went back to the OEM canister.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The paper filters certainly are easier to cut apart to examine the contents. The Corvette filters on the LN screw on base, allow for more filtration and slightly smaller passageways. Then it becomes a trade off of robbing oil pressure to gain better filtration.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
New set of Michelin PS4S fitted, initial impression are good, will need to put some enthusiastic driven miles to compare with the Goodyear F1's that were on before
New tires need to scrub in a couple hundred miles before reaching their max grip. I had the PS4S on my Zed. They transformed the ride and grip compared to OEM Bridgestone RF. Look forward to your report. I have these in my TR cart.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have her booked in to Centre Gravity (the place to go in the UK for a GEO set up) for a full suspension refresh, put some miles on her them report by the end of the month.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
scootr- Did you modify your open diff with an aftermarket LSD? I don't see many LSD on 987's, probably due to cost. I have a Wavetrac, which really helps my Michelin PS4S's getting power down out of the apex. I do not feel I am losing traction/thrust to the PTV systems now. The RE71R's and Hoosier A7's seem to need the LSD less than the Michelins PS4S's, but still do benefit from its torque transfer to the outside tire.

Reactions: KL Cayman

·
Registered
762 Posts
took the car out for a drive to charge up the battery. more fun than using a battery tender ;)
That's what I tried to do on Sunday. Wouldn't start on Monday morning. Just got the clicking sound. Put her on the CTEK for 10 ours and now ok again. This happens every 3 to 4 months even after a long drive the day before. I think a battery change is due. Going to the Varta. Have been told to consider the AGM even though our ride is not start stop as the AGMs apparently have a bigger power reserve etc and do no harm for non-start stop cars. Was recommended AGM especially as I don't drive mine much.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
wmclarenf1, if you go the varta route - go for the silver dynamic range. Its what I am using in my car at the moment. can also consider amaron. heard some good things about this brand too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Forgive the car being a tad dirty... I’m definitely loving the look of the gloss black wrap on my roof, hatch, and roof rack railings.

That being said, I am not in love with the crazy orange peel present on the Avery gloss black. Also, it was my first time wrapping a roof. I think it came out 7/10 but up close you can see where I lifted and reset a few times when trying to negotiate the crazy curve of our roofs. Avery definitely shows glue marks from lifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7821 - 7840 of 7888 Posts