Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

8121 - 8138 of 8138 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Cayman S, Sport Chrono
26 Posts
@mainsoda That was one of the top 3 items on the list when I got my Cayman. Feels so good to replace it. For the car it’s literally a breath of fresh air. 🏎💨

·
Registered
2010 2.9 6spd
42 Posts
....can you advise why you chose to replace the AOS... what symptoms was the Car showing to make the decision and see the benefit..?

·
Registered
2006 Cayman S
30 Posts
I had puffs of smoke coming out of my exhaust at start up. I also took off the 3 connection hose (two on the intake and one on the AOS) and found some oil in there. As you can see in the picture there was oil all over the AOS as well. The part is not expensive and it is right on top of the engine and very easy to access. The only real tricky part was the clamps on the curved hose you see at the bottom of the old AOS in my second picture. These clamps do not grip very hard but it is a bit down into the engine bay and not so easy to reach with a pliers. I ended up moving the clamp into position and then just sliding the whole assembly hose and clamp together right onto the connection. It held well. Then it's just two torx screws and 2 other other connections that are just easy o-ring pieces that click satisfyingly into place. I also got a chance to clean up in there too which was nice, vacuum out all the leaves and dirt collected over the years.

Driving today what PorscheGreg says seems true. The car is happier, like it can breathe better.

I have coils and spark plugs coming in the mail later today so that is my weekend project. I have been pleasantly surprised at how easy this car has been to work on. I bought it because it was so damned pretty, thinking it would be terrible to work on. I was wrong.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S, Tiptronic
173 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have a new AOS sitting on a shelf in its box waiting to be installed. I don't have any smoke on startup at all, but the car burbles a bit until warm. Since I purchased used, I thought I'd swap out the AOS just to be safe. And agree by looking that the clamp on the curved hose on the bottom will be the bear to remove. I have several long pliers that I plan to try.
And, so far, the Cayman has been pretty easy to work on. I've done plugs, oil and filter changes, air filter change and fender inner liner. Toughest issue was getting to a couple of the coils and spark plugs (you'll see what I mean!). Thanks again!

·
Registered
2010 2.9 6spd
42 Posts
Cheers for the info gents, mine obviously isn't in need of change then but i will agree that these are excellent cars to work on, as was my old 986 many years ago.

·
Registered
2006 Cayman S
30 Posts
If you guys know of a good hose clamp pliers to get these hard to reach Porsche clamps let me know, I am wanting to buy one!
Also the one time use clamps and pliers are something I need to look into as well.

·
Registered
2011 Cayman S, Sport Chrono
26 Posts
@Skoosh1970 I did my AOS replacement as a preventive maintenance because I was going to replace plugs and coils. The common symptom of AOS failure is the exhaust smoke. If you wait until that happens, the plugs get fouled so I did it as part of replacing plugs and coils.

Mine is a 987.2 so AOS replacement is different. Here is a thread with good info if that’s your model.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Did an oil change given I had just tracked it last weekend.

·
Registered
2008 Porsche Cayman S
103 Posts
Installed passenger window regulator, badge seal on hood , cabin filter and driver floppy door handle repair kit. Then a quick wash. New tires are here. Debating powdercoat color. SILVER OR BLACK. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Installed passenger window regulator, badge seal on hood , cabin filter and driver floppy door handle repair kit. Then a quick wash. New tires are here. Debating powdercoat color. SILVER OR BLACK. Any thoughts? View attachment 274168 View attachment 274169
That's a dark blue? Consider a dark bronze on the rims. That would contrast well with the dark blue. The black rims makes them disappear too much, can't say I'm a fan of it on dark color cars. The silver is a bit bright.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fitted spacers and fresh bolts. Thinking about a wheel colour change as the wheels are still oem finish going on 11 years old!!!

8121 - 8138 of 8138 Posts