Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
8281 - 8300 of 8314 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
I replaced my Cayman S battery with a higher 800amp from Autozone. I had the current battery tested and it test find but it just didn't have enough cranking power. With the new higher amp battery the engine turns over more robustly. Very satisfying.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and 2010 GT3
700 Posts
I removed my old, beat-up splitters and installed a Joe Toth, sectional splitter. I gave it five coats of KBS Diamond Clear. Super high gloss and can withstand the harshest of road conditions. The splitter was a very easy install. I figured I would just drive the front end of the car onto my Rhino Ramps instead of using the Quick Jack. After I installed the splitter, I realized I might destroy it backing off of the ramps. Instead, I shallowed the slope by extending the ramps with lengths of 2x4. Crisis averted and very happy with the new splitter. Joe makes quality products. View attachment 275868 View attachment 275869
I just bought same splitter… with these long front ends it’s endangered of scraping most in drives… I have to use boards to get up and down…. I wrapped mine in CF…. There great for the coin

·
Registered
856 Posts
I replaced my Cayman S battery with a higher 800amp from Autozone. I had the current battery tested and it test find but it just didn't have enough cranking power. With the new higher amp battery the engine turns over more robustly. Very satisfying.
I did the exact same thing yesterday. Went with Varta.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I installed a new battery this past January… with the Frunk light and the rear hatch light ajar for periods of time it really kills these batteries fast… anyone else? I’ve just learned to close it up when I’m done 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
459 Posts
I installed a new battery this past January… with the Frunk light and the rear hatch light ajar for periods of time it really kills these batteries fast… anyone else? I’ve just learned to close it up when I’m done 🤦‍♂️
As my Cayman get's much less driving time than my pickup, especially in the winter, I have a smart trickle charger plugged in. I don't usually leave either hatch open. I've got the battery cable coming out of the hood near the windshield which leaves enough room to shut the frunk lid. It is slightly ajar so I can use the frunk lever to open the hood, but no light is on. I have it set up so I can unplug the cable right at the top of the hood. No need to open the hood to go for a drive.

·
Registered
700 Posts
As my Cayman get's much less driving time than my pickup, especially in the winter, I have a smart trickle charger plugged in. I don't usually leave either hatch open. I've got the battery cable coming out of the hood near the windshield which leaves enough room to shut the frunk lid. It is slightly ajar so I can use the frunk lever to open the hood, but no light is on. I have it set up so I can unplug the cable right at the top of the hood. No need to open the hood to go for a drive.
There is a Porsche trickle charger on local CL for 100.00 slightly used. I should bag that. Ya mine sits a lot too… more than I care too, but it’s the way it is … 400 miles this year… 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
459 Posts
There is a Porsche trickle charger on local CL for 100.00 slightly used. I should bag that. Ya mine sits a lot too… more than I care too, but it’s the way it is … 400 miles this year… 🤦‍♂️
I took my car in for an oil change. It had been two years. I didn't accumulate enough miles to even equal the time to change oil sticker. I'm trying to drive it more now.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I took my car in for an oil change. It had been two years. I didn't accumulate enough miles to even equal the time to change oil sticker. I'm trying to drive it more now.
Yup and even tho they sit the trend is too change it before it sits… I’m not sure 400 miles on an oil change will make or break anything … if it’s for 3000-5000 then I can see it

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
We are talking about garage queens here with low milage. I bought my 2007 S, 4 years ago sight unseen from Florida with 20k on the clock, plenty of internet photos and a good PPI. A Disney guy drove it occasionally back and forth to work, about 8 miles a day. Traded it in to Porsche Orlando for a GT4. Got this info and all the records from Millinia motors. I did find out though it had been raced by this guy due to the over rev report, Nothing serious, but still plenty of hits in level 1 and a few missed shifts into level 2. Now at 60k, so no longer a garage queen. I think these cars do best when driven at least a couple of times a week for an hour or so to get the oil heated up. Mine does not burn a drop of oil between oil changes, so it was properly broken in and the rings seated very well.

·
Registered
700 Posts
We are talking about garage queens here with low milage. I bought my 2007 S, 4 years ago sight unseen from Florida with 20k on the clock, plenty of internet photos and a good PPI. A Disney guy drove it occasionally back and forth to work, about 8 miles a day. Traded it in to Porsche Orlando for a GT4. Got this info and all the records from Millinia motors. I did find out though it had been raced by this guy due to the over rev report, Nothing serious, but still plenty of hits in level 1 and a few missed shifts into level 2. Now at 60k, so no longer a garage queen. I think these cars do best when driven at least a couple of times a week for an hour or so to get the oil heated up. Mine does not burn a drop of oil between oil changes, so it was properly broken in and the rings seated very well.
Not a garage queen on purpose here, it’s just been an odd year and I have 4 cars. The GT3 gets driven too… I’ve been working on the cayman more this year…. I agree they should be driven as much as possible. My cayman has like 79k maybe, I forget.. the 997 is low tho (24k)

·
Registered
459 Posts
I originally bought my 2007 Cayman S in 2011 with 12,000 miles on it. It wasn't even really broken in. I used it as a daily driver for several years. So I've owned it for 10 years. It now has 70,000 miles. Took it in recently for oil change and checkup. They told me it was flawless except for the tires which have plenty of tread "ie, lack of driving" but are four years old😬

·
Registered
700 Posts
Installed +15mm spacers in back with of course longer studs. These wheels in back are 19x10 +40 offset, now the effective offset is +25 offset. H&R springs, 2.1 deg neg/camber. 275-35 tire. Plan to get a 285 next. This really filled out the wheel well nice. No rub. The wheels are perfectly flush with a little poke..we’re talking 1mm. I’m not a stance guy, however I like the fenders filled out, I just do
If anyone is in need of 7mm or 10mm spacers I have both FS soon… both are basically brand new

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Drove the Cayman to work and sat in traffic for 1.5 hours to go 34 miles. That's Southern California for you. :confused:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Carbon Fiber wrap my Joe Toth splitter… Vvivid CF is some of the hardest material I’ve worked with… kinda thick and not as pliable… anyway… next, rear diffy… not sold on the side splitters yet. I don’t want to drill into the sills, but I have an idea that may not require drilling…

Attachments

·
Registered
856 Posts
Carbon Fiber wrap my Joe Toth splitter… Vvivid CF is some of the hardest material I’ve worked with… kinda thick and not as pliable… anyway… next, rear diffy… not sold on the side splitters yet. I don’t want to drill into the sills, but I have an idea that may not require drilling…
Looking really good.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I really want to add the Joe Toth aero pieces on my car too, but my driveway has a steep incline and there's no way I'd get up without damaging it. I already have be very precise with the angle of entry/exit with the stock setup to avoid scraping.

Are those OZ Ultraleggera's? I just bought a set of those and am eager to get them on my car. I will likely add the spacers as well like you did.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I really want to add the Joe Toth aero pieces on my car too, but my driveway has a steep incline and there's no way I'd get up without damaging it. I already have be very precise with the angle of entry/exit with the stock setup to avoid scraping.

Are those OZ Ultraleggera's? I just bought a set of those and am eager to get them on my car. I will likely add the spacers as well like you did.
I also have a steep curb and so far use 3ft cedar boards… other than that it’s fine. I ordered a set of Bridge-it ramps, so hopefully that’ll be the cure.. Porsche’s have really long front ends to the front of the tire and its that distance that is the big issue.. my Lotus was lower and didn’t hit because of that shorter distance… you should get a splitter, they really give the front that GT-ish look… and Joe, what a guy. When is the last time you got the owner of a business to pick up his phone to answer questions!??!? Joe even calls you back!!! Can’t say enough about him

wheels: yes HLT’s, they are matte silver and I really like them. They are exactly what that car needed. I have some BBS 18’s but these look way better IMO

other Toth parts: I’m ordering the side splitters and a diffuser and then for appearance I’m done… I’m going to come up with something to attach the side splitter to the inner front fender rather than tap the cills..

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S, Tiptronic
205 Posts
I ordered a set of Power Stop brake rotors and carbon/ceramic pads, caliper bolts, rotor set screws and a handful of bleed screw caps (to replace two that have torn). Rear pads/rotors are still in good shape. Anticipate installation the weekend of Sept. 25.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I also have a steep curb and so far use 3ft cedar boards… other than that it’s fine. I ordered a set of Bridge-it ramps, so hopefully that’ll be the cure.. Porsche’s have really long front ends to the front of the tire and its that distance that is the big issue.. my Lotus was lower and didn’t hit because of that shorter distance… you should get a splitter, they really give the front that GT-ish look… and Joe, what a guy. When is the last time you got the owner of a business to pick up his phone to answer questions!??!? Joe even calls you back!!! Can’t say enough about him

wheels: yes HLT’s, they are matte silver and I really like them. They are exactly what that car needed. I have some BBS 18’s but these look way better IMO

other Toth parts: I’m ordering the side splitters and a diffuser and then for appearance I’m done… I’m going to come up with something to attach the side splitter to the inner front fender rather than tap the cills..
I've got similar scraping challenges with my front splitter. There are quite a few places I can;t go to with my Cayman due to over steep angles for the carpark entry and exits. Its a combination of the increased length from the splitter and being slightly lower due to the R springs.

Have you got a link for the rear splitter? As I ask, I imagine it posing similar curb scraping challenges for reverse parking.

8281 - 8300 of 8314 Posts