Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
8661 - 8680 of 8710 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
So that’s going on the 987? Love to see it. I’ve always thought that rear sunken window was my least favorite part of the car
Yep going on the 987. I have that all complete, GT3 front end, and the Getty tail going on. I’m waiting to put everything on when it gets wrapped (first week of July) and will post pictures when it’s all done. The louver is from a 370Z and we cut three inches out of the middle, plastic welded it, filled the gaps and painted it gloss black.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and non-RS 2010 GT3
1,496 Posts
Yep going on the 987. I have that all complete, GT3 front end, and the Getty tail going on. I’m waiting to put everything on when it gets wrapped (first week of July) and will post pictures when it’s all done. The louver is from a 370Z and we cut three inches out of the middle, plastic welded it, filled the gaps and painted it gloss black.
Or you can send me pics of that on before you get done? 🤣
So you get what I’m saying evidently…
Also what make of louver?

·
Registered
70 Posts
BTW-II - the reason I've been playing with this is I've finally gotten a person at Foxwell who is in contact with "engineering" - asking them where the PDK calibration routine is in the latest software for the 987/PDK. We've been swapping messages for several weeks now doing some diagnostics. Perhaps the problem is that that part of their software no longer recognizes that my car has PDK. On some VIN lookup sites it shows as a manual. Other ones it correctly shows as a PDK car. I hope to know more in a day or two.
Don - Thought I'd follow up. Did you ever hear more about this from Foxwell?

·
Administrator
1,354 Posts
Don - Thought I'd follow up. Did you ever hear more about this from Foxwell?
I did and I can't say I was pleased. The entire thing took weeks of back and forth using Facebook Messenger. They'd ask for screen captures, I'd go hook it up and take them, then maybe 4 days later I'd get a response asking for more screen captures (and sometimes the SAME screen captures.)

The "Engineer" at the factory said the reason I can't access the PDK clutch calibration routine is that I don't have PDK. Which is obviously nonsense since I do have PDK, and the VIN# shows I have PDK, and other parts of the PDK service menu (Reset adaptations, oil-fill activation, etc) DO show up just fine.

I tried explaining that the answer was unsatisfactory and that it was also nonsense, and that's where I left it. I'm sort of tempted to see if I can reinstall the earlier version of the software (it's on their website) to see if I can find the calibration routine, then take pics of that and suggest where they can put them.

The person I was messaging had excellent English - so it shouldn't have been a problem with communications - I suspect the "Engineer" was probably a tech who was talking out of his ***.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and non-RS 2010 GT3
1,496 Posts
Yes. Amazing for DIY. Not sure I’m that talented. And that garage! . Where do you keep all your stuff!?

Shawn in VA (USA)
From the garage I have an indoor staircase that goes down to a basement dedicated work shop (A/C and heat) .. it’s so nice working on chit in a controlled environment.
The garage has become 30x40’ living area that houses cars and lots of fun wall stuff… all the work happens below deck 🤣

·
Registered
743 Posts
All 11 hoses, the expansion tank, water pump, thermostat, and various clamps, bolts, and orings have arrived.

So step one is draining her dry. Once again, although I don't have the service history for the first 15-16 years, everything appears to be far fresher than I expected. All the hoses are still soft and flexible with no cracks. I probably didn't need to replace them, but I want to address any maintenance issue as if total restore is the end game. So my recent coolant leak is being treated in a way that the coolant loop will be factory new.

First obstacle was that draining coolant was going to be coming from surfaces with a wider spread than a bucket. Lol
I drilled a drain hole in my rolling work surface and put the bucket underneath. Worked like a charm once each new source made its big dump into the bucket.

Wood Flooring Floor Tints and shades Fashion accessory

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Rim

Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Shipping box Gas

·
Registered
743 Posts
Water pump was definitely the culprit. Perhaps I have a small drip from the expansion tank, but once I had the water pump in my hands it was a wobbly worn shaft of a thing. Surprised it wasn't noisy because I didn't hear it complaining. It may have let go quickly though since the leak was not there one day and was the next.

At almost exactly 50,000 miles I now believe that the common advice to change it around 45,000 must be well founded. :)

By the way, super easy access to the top 3 bolts from the front engine access in the cab. Same easy access to the 3 bottom bolts from underneath.
But the 7th one is buried in between and I had to stand with it to my back and reach up behind me with my left hand to get my fingertips on it. Took me a couple of minutes to figure out how. :)

As stated many times over the last year this is my first Porsche. I am so impressed with how it's designed and put together. While it definitely is an advantage to have a lift, if you do then the car is a joy to work on. Even for a 64 year old geezer. :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Water pump was definitely the culprit. Perhaps I have a small drip from the expansion tank, but once I had the water pump in my hands it was a wobbly worn shaft of a thing. Surprised it wasn't noisy because I didn't hear it complaining. It may have let go quickly though since the leak was not there one day and was the next.

At almost exactly 50,000 miles I now believe that the common advice to change it around 45,000 must be well founded. :)

By the way, super easy access to the top 3 bolts from the front engine access in the cab. Same easy access to the 3 bottom bolts from underneath.
But the 7th one is buried in between and I had to stand with it to my back and reach up behind me with my left hand to get my fingertips on it. Took me a couple of minutes to figure out how. :)

As stated many times over the last year this is my first Porsche. I am so impressed with how it's designed and put together. While it definitely is an advantage to have a lift, if you do then the car is a joy to work on. Even for a 64 year old geezer. :)
Way to overcome!

Shawn in VA (USA)

8661 - 8680 of 8710 Posts