Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
8681 - 8700 of 8710 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well, this is more of a "What did you NOT do to your 987 today?" post. Was planning on installing new coil packs and spark plugs this weekend, but when I opened my recently delivered box of parts this evening I found five coil packs, not six. RATS!!!

Oh, well, these things happen. It's supposed to rain all weekend here anyway, so I wouldn't have gone out for a shakedown drive anyway. Guess I'll just have to take the opportunity to do some engine bay, wheel well, and undercarriage cleaning while I have things disassembled.

Hope you all have a great Porsche weekend!

George

·
210 Posts
Well, this is more of a "What did you NOT do to your 987 today?" post. Was planning on installing new coil packs and spark plugs this weekend, but when I opened my recently delivered box of parts this evening I found five coil packs, not six. RATS!!!
At least you noticed before tearing into it. I've jumped into a job before just to find this out AFTER taking the old stuff off. Lesson learned!

·
Registered
2008 Porsche Cayman S
146 Posts
I had a fateful impact with a carry on luggage in the garage( tandem 2 type) that left a golf ball size dent in the top rear hip. Really an ugly place to get a dent. I do not think it was a good upgrade. So I went to a local PDR place here in Saint Pete that received great reviews from several shops. No pics to show right now. If I did not tell you this happened you would not know it. Best money ever spent. In fact before I get any car repainted I would have a PDR done first to prevent the paint shop from using bondo instead of doing it right. Amazing skills!!

·
Administrator
1,354 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
I had a fateful impact with a carry on luggage in the garage( tandem 2 type) that left a golf ball size dent in the top rear hip. Really an ugly place to get a dent. I do not think it was a good upgrade. So I went to a local PDR place here in Saint Pete that received great reviews from several shops. No pics to show right now. If I did not tell you this happened you would not know it. Best money ever spent. In fact before I get any car repainted I would have a PDR done first to prevent the paint shop from using bondo instead of doing it right. Amazing skills!!
A good PDR guy is amazing. I have two spots on the cayman and one on the Outback I need to get done.

Shawn in VA (USA)

·
Administrator
1,354 Posts
Installed the Suncoast rear-storage shelf speaker kit.

Bit of a project, but a very well-thought-out kit, and the sound is greatly improved. I'll try to get a few photos when I have a chance. It looks factory because it was a factory option for a while, and they used a lot of OE Porsche parts in making the kit up.

On a difficulty scale of 1-10, mebbe a 5-6, on a satisfaction scale of 1-10, about an 8.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and non-RS 2010 GT3
1,496 Posts
A good PDR guy is amazing. I have two spots on the cayman and one on the Outback I need to get done.

Shawn in VA (USA)
PDR are guys are fun to watch.. a lot of the times they’ll use those root beer barrels to pull them out further than they need to be and then the technic is tapping back into place. I had one and it was perfect when he finished.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Took the 987 in for the PCA tech inspection and had some interesting conversations with the tech… he told me how common they see 05-08 IMS bearing go bad(911/CS/BS). I was shocked at how many…. Mine is dry (good news). So many angles on that subject but it’s impossible to ignore someone who deals with these day in and day out

Attachments

·
Administrator
1,354 Posts
Took the 987 in for the PCA tech inspection and had some interesting conversations with the tech… he told me how common they see 05-08 IMS bearing go bad(911/CS/BS). I was shocked at how many…. Mine is dry (good news). So many angles on that subject but it’s impossible to ignore someone who deals with these day in and day out
While I usually value opinions from techs (like what to watch out for..) - you must realize they see only the sick cars. the ones that come to them are usually broken. The good techs aren't doing the everyday oil change - that's beneath their pay grade. They fix broken cars and it can tend to influence their opinions. When they say "how many" - the question is - out of how many were sold or serviced by their dealership.

Reactions: Apexhunter987

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
While I usually value opinions from techs (like what to watch out for..) - you must realize they see only the sick cars. the ones that come to them are usually broken. The good techs aren't doing the everyday oil change - that's beneath their pay grade. They fix broken cars and it can tend to influence their opinions. When they say "how many" - the question is - out of how many were sold or serviced by their dealership.
First off this Indy shop is a Porsche race team, so yes broken cars come their way, but a lot of the seepage or residue IMS bearings are discovered during an oil change or other due service… (just a little surprised at his response)
then I watch video from the Flat-6 guy and he’s seen 3… who knows… anyway,
It was a good day

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Jake Raby at flat6innovations says that clean oil is the best defense against a worn IMS bearing. The seal breaks down and allows engine oil into the sealed cavity mixing with the OEM grease. That's the reason for his recommendation of oil change every 3500 miles. For those reading this and driving a later date car, you can have your own oil fill schedule as you do not have an IMS bearing. I use the LN screw on oil filter and their magnet that attaches to the metal filter to catch any small micro floating metal in the oil. M97 engines need the crankcase cracked to change this bearing.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Jake Raby at flat6innovations says that clean oil is the best defense against a worn IMS bearing. The seal breaks down and allows engine oil into the sealed cavity mixing with the OEM grease. That's the reason for his recommendation of oil change every 3500 miles. For those reading this and driving a later date car, you can have your own oil fill schedule as you do not have an IMS bearing. I use the LN screw on oil filter and their magnet that attaches to the metal filter to catch any small micro floating metal in the oil. M97 engines need the crankcase cracked to change this bearing.
Yuppers! A bad IMS in an M97 is game over/rebuild time… I change oil every 1000 miles… oil is cheap. I also have an LN magnet filter…. I thought about the oil feed line mod… it makes good sense, but I’ll do that at clutch time..

·
Registered
139 Posts
I didn’t do a damn thing to my 987 today but I did get my Cayenne GTS running again. Replaced both low pressure fuel pumps and filter. Gave her a bath and took her for a nice ride. Glad to have her back on the road again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I drove mine from Scotia Lodge in Scotia, CA to Eugene, OR so approximately 330 miles. I picked up a new to me 2008 Cayman S Tuesday afternoon in Watsonville, CA. I took my son with me on the Amtrak down there and we had a fantastic road trip back.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S, Tiptronic, Sprint Booster
251 Posts
8681 - 8700 of 8710 Posts