Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
8761 - 8780 of 8849 Posts

·
Administrator
1,671 Posts
Cleared my cowl drains and dried out my passenger side carpet.

View attachment 282721
You might consider removing these entirely. Mine were gone when I got my car and I see no reason to replace them. They may protect against mice coming up into the area, but if mice want to get into the area, they'll find a route. The other possible reason they're there is to prevent water intrusion in the area from water splashed up by the front wheels. So far- I see no sign of that on mine without them. If they weren't there - the debris you see in them clogging them up just would have fallen through the hole and there would be no issue.

Just a suggestion...

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and non-RS 2010 GT3
1,762 Posts
Gave the interior a much needed cleansing. In the process I made a discovery - I've had this car over two years and had no idea you could adjust the angle of the chrono stopwatch dial.
Ive had my 997 and 987 for 7yrs and just realized the arm rest on the door opened up 🤣

·
Registered
24 Posts
After enjoying a blissfully cool (72F) drive this morning with the top down, I tackled bit more familiarization maintenance with this new-to-me car. Oil change was the first on the list, with installation of a magnetic drain plug. Messy, but not a big deal. However, no engine should be allowed out of the factory without a dipstick or a sight glass.

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light

I took off the wheels to inspect the brakes. No appreciable wear to the pads at 15K miles, but what are these? Curious aluminum cylinders on the brake pads.

Motor vehicle Cable Gas Electrical wiring Auto part

This is why I do my own tire changes. What a terrible thing to do to an innocent wheel. All four wheels had these gouges at four spots around the rim.
Automotive tire Tire Wheel Automotive design Tread

When it was all buttoned up, I checked for OBD error codes. The only squawks were for uninstalled items. The wife and I are planning a trip in this car in a couple of months. I'm a total Porsche novice, but having fun getting a feel for this fun machine as quickly as possible.

·
Administrator
1,671 Posts
I took off the wheels to inspect the brakes. No appreciable wear to the pads at 15K miles, but what are these? Curious aluminum cylinders on the brake pads.

View attachment 282883
They're there to add mass to the brake pads and dampen squeal. Once in a while you'll come across aftermarket brake pads that don't have them. Avoid those pads.

·
Registered
2006 Cayman S
7 Posts
Successfully installed new starter to slay the squeal. Lovely etorx sockets added to the tool box now. Also a 20” extension was perfect for the bottom bolt and worth the $13.
Discovered a vacuum hose not connected and hanging from the front plenum (o think it said harmonic dampener). Finally found where it went after hunting around and looking at vacuum diagram. The thing had definitely been like that for a while(no codes). I had to vacuum the gunk out of it. Even though it’s the id diameter of a paper clip.
Successful first fix on the new to me cayman s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1,671 Posts
Ceramic coated it..

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Not bad for 11 13 year old paint..(fixed..)

BTW - my wife commented that I always seem to wait until the hottest day of the year to take on some big project like this, but I like to sweat and the heat loosens up my arthritic joints. If it was any cooler (about 96F today) it would have been a problem. Maybe give it a second coat tomorrow, it's supposed to hit 96F again tomorrow. Hydrate. That's the trick.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ceramic coated it..

View attachment 282971

Not bad for 11 year old paint..

BTW - my wife commented that I always seem to wait until the hottest day of the year to take on some big project like this, but I like to sweat and the heat loosens up my arthritic joints. If it was any cooler (about 96F today) it would have been a problem. Maybe give it a second coat tomorrow, it's supposed to hit 96F again tomorrow. Hydrate. That's the trick.
Looks really great. Can you share the product you used and the process to apply it?

·
Registered
2011 Porsche Cayman S
214 Posts
Ceramic coated it..

View attachment 282971

Not bad for 11 year old paint..

Very nice job. I do the same ****. I wait until the hottest day to stuff. I mowed 4 acres today and weed eated but it was only 90.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1,671 Posts
Looks really great. Can you share the product you used and the process to apply it?
https://a.co/d/73FZCat < Amazon link
Ceramic coating | Nano Bond ceramic coating experts - Nanobond website

The process was as described by NanoBond. Clay the finish, clean and polish the existing finish, clean again with an alcohol spray, then apply the product to an area no greater than 2'x2' going first in one direction than in the other direction. The instructions in the box said to polish it off immediately, and the instructions on the website said to let it dry for 1-2 minutes. This was all done out of direct sunlight in my garage, with the garage door open.

Given how hot it was today, it appeared to dry almost immediately, so I polished it off. I might try some experimenting tomorrow by leaving it on the surface for 1-2 minutes before polishing it off.

Any coating job will only be as good as the paint it's applied to. If you have spider webs or swirl marks, those really have to be polished away before doing the coating. The coating adds depth to the shine, but it also telegraphs any defects it's applied over.

I found it works marvelously to restore faded black plastic. I used it on the cowl plastic (base of the windshield) and two coats had that looking new. I hope it lasts longer than most of the oily **** that is sold for plastics. I also used it on the black hard-plastic trim on the convertible-top hatch, made it shine like new, and on the black plastic doorjamb that always gets scuffed up. Scuffs are gone, plastic has a nice shine, and finally, I used it on the black D-shaped sort of ring that the top-seat belt anchor uses.. mine was hazy and whitish. It's now a nice dark black again.

As an experiment, I also cleaned and coated half of my windshield. My wiper had started some chattering on the low speed and I thought I'd see if this helped. It went on clear and looking through the windshield you can't tell it's there except that side looks cleaner and has less scattered light when looking directly into the sun through it. It will wait until the next time I'm caught in the rain to see how it works on a windshield.

So far I'm happy with the product. I was a big fan years ago of Ziano products (they are manufactured not far from where I live), and I still have some of them. It was a similar sort of coating but before "ceramic" became the hot setup. I might try doing an A-B test on the hood of my Cayenne on the two products and see if there is a significant difference in appearance or durability. Stay tuned for that one.

Reactions: PorscheGreg

·
Registered
27 Posts
https://a.co/d/73FZCat < Amazon link
Ceramic coating | Nano Bond ceramic coating experts - Nanobond website

The process was as described by NanoBond. Clay the finish, clean and polish the existing finish, clean again with an alcohol spray, then apply the product to an area no greater than 2'x2' going first in one direction than in the other direction. The instructions in the box said to polish it off immediately, and the instructions on the website said to let it dry for 1-2 minutes. This was all done out of direct sunlight in my garage, with the garage door open.

Given how hot it was today, it appeared to dry almost immediately, so I polished it off. I might try some experimenting tomorrow by leaving it on the surface for 1-2 minutes before polishing it off.

Any coating job will only be as good as the paint it's applied to. If you have spider webs or swirl marks, those really have to be polished away before doing the coating. The coating adds depth to the shine, but it also telegraphs any defects it's applied over.

I found it works marvelously to restore faded black plastic. I used it on the cowl plastic (base of the windshield) and two coats had that looking new. I hope it lasts longer than most of the oily **** that is sold for plastics. I also used it on the black hard-plastic trim on the convertible-top hatch, made it shine like new, and on the black plastic doorjamb that always gets scuffed up. Scuffs are gone, plastic has a nice shine, and finally, I used it on the black D-shaped sort of ring that the top-seat belt anchor uses.. mine was hazy and whitish. It's now a nice dark black again.

As an experiment, I also cleaned and coated half of my windshield. My wiper had started some chattering on the low speed and I thought I'd see if this helped. It went on clear and looking through the windshield you can't tell it's there except that side looks cleaner and has less scattered light when looking directly into the sun through it. It will wait until the next time I'm caught in the rain to see how it works on a windshield.

So far I'm happy with the product. I was a big fan years ago of Ziano products (they are manufactured not far from where I live), and I still have some of them. It was a similar sort of coating but before "ceramic" became the hot setup. I might try doing an A-B test on the hood of my Cayenne on the two products and see if there is a significant difference in appearance or durability. Stay tuned for that one.
This is really helpful… do you have a clear plastic/vinyl bra or rear rocker protectors? My 2009 has both and I am thinking of taking them off with a low-heat gun. Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
1,671 Posts
This is really helpful… do you have a clear plastic/vinyl bra or rear rocker protectors? My 2009 has both and I am thinking of taking them off with a low-heat gun. Any thoughts?
I do have PPF (Paint Protective Film) on the front bumper, the hood, headlights and mirrors. It's the same age as the car and was starting to look a bit tatty and yellow. I did some research and replacing it with removal and a new installation would be around $1500-2000. Seemed like a lot. My research then turned to how the PPF can be restored, and it turns out one company makes a polishing compound that's specifically made for PPF. It's Gyeon PPF Renew.

https://a.co/d/iYh6g47 - Amazon link.

I was a bit hesitant about using it since when I was exploring getting the car ceramic coated by detailing shops (I visited 6 of them) several gave me scare stories about how once the PPF is scuffed it can't be polished, and if it yellowed it couldn't be brought back to clear.. But I found this stuff and figured what the heck, if it doesn't help the PPF then I'd probably end up removing it anyway, so it would be worth giving it a try.

So I did. It's used with an orbital polisher (Porter-Cable in my case) with a white polishing pad. I just worked it across the PPF in small areas (maybe 18" square) until the film started looking better. When I was done, the majority of the yellowing was gone (I suspect it was crap absorbed into the PPF surface and perhaps old wax on the PPF) and the PPF shined almost as good as the rest of the car after polishing. I say "almost" because the PPF did have some small depressions in it where it had done its job of protecting the paint (stones bouncing off it probably.) When I was done using the polish it was good enough that I decided it could stay on for the foreseeable future.

I did include the PPF in the coating job today (NanoBond suggests it), and it looks quite good.. Again, you can tell the film is there since it isn't quite as uniform in thickness as the paint surface, but it looks fine, and you really have to get up close and look at it to tell it's there. The scuffs that I got the scare stories about - they polished right out using the PPF Renew.

In both cases - I still have plenty of product. The NanoBond is perhaps 1/3rd used up. The PPF Renew - about 1/5th used up. If it lasts for a year and makes it easier to wash the car (my goal for this project, it's not easy hand-washing the car with arthritis) I'll be satisfied.

BTW - I had already removed the clear plastic by the rear fender openings, it had really yellowed and was starting to show signs of cracking. Using a heat gun and some care it was simple enough to get off, and I replaced it with a black plastic "lamb-chop" - the same shape and size.

·
Registered
2011 Porsche Cayman S
214 Posts
I just ordered MPT Icon to try on my vehicles. It is a Carbon/PTFE coating which is supposed to create a liquid paint protection after many applications.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
I do have PPF (Paint Protective Film) on the front bumper, the hood, headlights and mirrors. It's the same age as the car and was starting to look a bit tatty and yellow. I did some research and replacing it with removal and a new installation would be around $1500-2000. Seemed like a lot. My research then turned to how the PPF can be restored, and it turns out one company makes a polishing compound that's specifically made for PPF. It's Gyeon PPF Renew.

https://a.co/d/iYh6g47 - Amazon link.

I was a bit hesitant about using it since when I was exploring getting the car ceramic coated by detailing shops (I visited 6 of them) several gave me scare stories about how once the PPF is scuffed it can't be polished, and if it yellowed it couldn't be brought back to clear.. But I found this stuff and figured what the heck, if it doesn't help the PPF then I'd probably end up removing it anyway, so it would be worth giving it a try.

So I did. It's used with an orbital polisher (Porter-Cable in my case) with a white polishing pad. I just worked it across the PPF in small areas (maybe 18" square) until the film started looking better. When I was done, the majority of the yellowing was gone (I suspect it was crap absorbed into the PPF surface and perhaps old wax on the PPF) and the PPF shined almost as good as the rest of the car after polishing. I say "almost" because the PPF did have some small depressions in it where it had done its job of protecting the paint (stones bouncing off it probably.) When I was done using the polish it was good enough that I decided it could stay on for the foreseeable future.

I did include the PPF in the coating job today (NanoBond suggests it), and it looks quite good.. Again, you can tell the film is there since it isn't quite as uniform in thickness as the paint surface, but it looks fine, and you really have to get up close and look at it to tell it's there. The scuffs that I got the scare stories about - they polished right out using the PPF Renew.

In both cases - I still have plenty of product. The NanoBond is perhaps 1/3rd used up. The PPF Renew - about 1/5th used up. If it lasts for a year and makes it easier to wash the car (my goal for this project, it's not easy hand-washing the car with arthritis) I'll be satisfied.

BTW - I had already removed the clear plastic by the rear fender openings, it had really yellowed and was starting to show signs of cracking. Using a heat gun and some care it was simple enough to get off, and I replaced it with a black plastic "lamb-chop" - the same shape and size.
The PPF on my Boxster is in pretty good shape and hasn’t noticeably yellowed; so I may be able to skip the Gyeon step. One last question … did you clay the PPF or skip it. Assume you skipped?

Thanks very much for the thorough response!

·
Administrator
1,671 Posts
The PPF on my Boxster is in pretty good shape and hasn’t noticeably yellowed; so I may be able to skip the Gyeon step. One last question … did you clay the PPF or skip it. Assume you skipped?

Thanks very much for the thorough response!
In the past, I've clayed the PPF, but I would suggest using caution and lots of lubrication since PPF is quite obviously much softer than hardened paint. For this job, I cleaned it and then went at it with the Gyeon PPF Renew.

·
Administrator
1,671 Posts
I just ordered MPT Icon to try on my vehicles. It is a Carbon/PTFE coating which is supposed to create a liquid paint protection after many applications.
Maybe I should create a new sub-forum for protection/detailing products and use. It would seem to cover all Porsche models. Anyone with an idea for a name for the forum let me know and I'll create it and start gathering posts from the various forums that might be happier (and more useful) there.

DUH, Edit: Maybe I should just look at the forum structure, and find: Porsche Care and Detailing

I'll copy over the discussions here that might do well over there..

8761 - 8780 of 8849 Posts