Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
8801 - 8820 of 8849 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cayman S
7 Posts
So my new mechanic said probably want to think about coil packs soon. So a quick trip to FCPEuro this past Friday and picked up the coil pack kit with plugs. The coils have dielectric grease in them already (after watching a video where the revision coil packs have it already). Also, DONT put the grease on the electrodes! I watched a video where a guy did that....dielectric grease is waterproof lube and an insulator. Took longer than expected just because I was taking my time and made the mistake of not pushing one of the boots up off of the coil pack before disconnecting. Don't be like me, make sure your boots are slid up and off the connectors before removing! Plugs came out no fighting at all. Some photos of the packs and plugs. #5 was on its last legs. 1 was pretty bad as well and 2 had a good crack.
So in the 2 months of ownership of my 2006 Cayman S with 38000mi (I put 2k on it). I have installed and done the following:
  • V4 coolant cap (had residue on old one where it must have sprung)
  • New inner/outer tie rod on passenger side
  • Replaced strut on drivers, broken spring so sourced a used strut with 50k on it. For now until suspension refresh.
  • Oil and gear oil change (by new mechanic to give it a once over. Also have a Blackstone being done.)
  • Balanced all wheels and alignment 2x. Seem to have slight bends in one front and one rear (may explain the slight shake in the wheel, will look to fix front one this winter not sure how much that costs)
  • Cleaned all the gremlins from 16+ year old engine bay of fall in the NE. Leaves, acorns, polliwogs, gravel etc....
  • Installed starter, now own etorx sockets. Found a disconnected vacuum line...somehow found where it went (harmonic something on the one intake runner?)
  • Inspected all pulleys (belt/water pump was replaced by previous owner).
  • AOS replaced, old one did not have much oil in it. some drips out of it but mostly dry. Will keep it as a backup or when I return to FCPEuro.
Think the next thing will be Numeric shifter cable.

Thanks if you read this! Any input on the plugs appreciated, they had no oil on them which I guess is good.

I did not scope the cylinders, thought about it but am not burning oil, no soot on tailpipe. Next oil change I am asking them to pull the pan and scope the bottom of the cylinders.

Yellow Font Audio equipment Wood Metal

Automotive tire Camera accessory Cameras & optics Plumbing fixture Gas

Product Automotive tire Yellow Camera accessory Gas

Fixture Yellow Engineering Gas Composite material

Camera accessory Yellow Engineering Gas Machine

Automotive tire Tire Gas Fixture Engineering
Automotive tire Camera accessory Camera Cameras & optics Camera lens

·
Registered
17 Posts
It is heavy… and yes the GT3 style is kinda spendy…if you pull off the hatch interior there is a 10lb weight attached the the underside…take that out. Also spend 15–20.00 and get the stronger strut shocks.. CF is lighter but you made the right choice with FG… when you close the hatch don’t slam it… set it down in the resting position and at the risers pull down and click shut…
Good advice, I already upgraded the struts and they hold the hatch up perfectly, I think i will get the weight reduction back if upgrade to an aftermarket exhaust, they are much lighter, but they are so loud, not good for daily driving. I wish there was a light, performance exhaust for the 987 Cayman that doesn't ring your ears when just touring around. I already have headers, which really improved the performance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good advice, I already upgraded the struts and they hold the hatch up perfectly, I think i will get the weight reduction back if upgrade to an aftermarket exhaust, they are much lighter, but they are so loud, not good for daily driving. I wish there was a light, performance exhaust for the 987 Cayman that doesn't ring your ears when just touring around. I already have headers, which really improved the performance.
Agree about the need for a moderate exhaust option. Question… did your headers make a noticeable improvement in whp? We

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and non-RS 2010 GT3
1,762 Posts
Agree about the need for a moderate exhaust option. Question… did your headers make a noticeable improvement in whp? We
Headers/exhaust make about 15-20hp… the plenum doesn’t do chit.. I have an AWE exhaust likes loud if your on it, otherwise it’s not bad and doesn’t drone much at all. If I had to compare it sounds like a 3.6 GT3

·
Registered
24 Posts
Trunk/Frunk Light Replacement

While exploring this new-to-me car, I noticed that the trunk light gets really hot if left on for more than a couple of minutes. I'm not aware of any way to shut them off. I decided to find an LED replacement.

Rectangle Font Auto part Electric blue Transparency

This is what I bought, and it works fine with one caveat. Notice that there is a blob of solder on the metal caps. That extends the length of the bulb enough to interfere with the bulb holder in the car. I used my lathe to trim the ends. One could do the same with a drill and a file.

Office supplies Writing implement Office instrument Ball pen Line

The fit is now identical to the original incandescent bulb. The light is a pure white color (no yellow shade) and the heat is gone. I might do the glove compartment light as well, but will probably look for another brand of bulb that doesn't need to be tweaked to fit.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Another exhaust option is long tube catless Soul headers into a Milltec muffler with twin exhaust tips. I like this combo as it usually catches people ear without a drone. The long tube catless headers into the Milltec muffler gives the extra hp without much back pressure. You will need to install these headers yourself as speed shops cannot remove the cat. My state does not test older cars for emissions before 09, so I am a happy camper. The Milltec muffler has a stainless coating that can be seen through the rear defusser of the 987.1 car. You might find one on E Bay or somewhere else, but they were a big ticket item then the car was new. Imported from England.

The IDP Plenum/82 mm GT3 throttle body does work, but it only works above 6500. Its a negative torque value below 4000 though. The M97 engine has a 7000 rpm full stop due to weak rod bolts. So, that issue does not leave the IDP Plenum much room to work and the negative below 4000 certainly makes the street value a bad one.
Vehicle registration plate Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Hand Human body Bicycle part Fluid Finger

Reactions: Justinfro

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and non-RS 2010 GT3
1,762 Posts
Another exhaust option is long tube catless Soul headers into a Milltec muffler with twin exhaust tips. I like this combo as it usually catches people ear without a drone. The long tube catless headers into the Milltec muffler gives the extra hp without much back pressure. You will need to install these headers yourself as speed shops cannot remove the cat. My state does not test older cars for emissions before 09, so I am a happy camper. The Milltec muffler has a stainless coating that can be seen through the rear defusser of the 987.1 car. You might find one on E Bay or somewhere else, but they were a big ticket item then the car was new. Imported from England.

The IDP Plenum/82 mm GT3 throttle body does work, but it only works above 6500. Its a negative torque value below 4000 though. The M97 engine has a 7000 rpm full stop due to weak rod bolts. So, that issue does not leave the IDP Plenum much room to work and the negative below 4000 certainly makes the street value a bad one. View attachment 283193
View attachment 283194
Great headers!!
Agree on the plenum… bad investment as you’ll never realize the potential with the motor rpm range.. GT3/turbo cars different story

·
Registered
38 Posts
Your Cayman looks amazing. The silver really shows the the lines and curves. Nice job!
thanks! Appreciate the nice words.

Ive managed to get a few special interior pieces too. The car came with extended leather, but I’ve added the18 was adjustable sport seats with the embossed logo, leather door handle surrounds, both from a 997, and a design addition gloss black interior trim set 🙂

View attachment 283209
View attachment 283208

View attachment 283202
Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Administrator
1,671 Posts
Installed my leather door handle/switch surround.
VERY nice! I note you're in the UK, but I'm curious how you found someone capable of doing this sort of work.. it looks like excellent quality.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
What did I do to my car today? Well not today but over the past week or so.

I did...

1. Repair the left and right rear wiring harnesses for the ABS and Brake pad wear sensors (DIY)
2. Added a Focal active subwoofer under my seat (right driver's side) DIY
3. Replaced my wonky right rear drive shaft (mechanic)

How about you? 😊
Bumper Gadget Office equipment Machine Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Motor vehicle Bicycle tire
Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Tire

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive design

Reactions: ACKTung

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Oh and I also got new tyres.
Michelin PS4S as the PSSes were coming apart.

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Road surface

Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

·
Registered
2011 987 Boxster PDK
11 Posts
Took off the front end to clean out the leaves, bugs, etc that I couldn't get with the shopvac and installed a set of grill screens to keep the big stuff out in the future. Thanks to all the info on here about how to get the front end off. Was a bit daunting since I hadn't done it before, but found some great instructions online that helped. And cheers to those that recommended keeping the hardware from each section together. I had missed that the hardware in the wheel well were a different Torx size than underneath even though they look pretty much exactly alike.

8801 - 8820 of 8849 Posts