Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
8901 - 8920 of 8938 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and non-RS 2010 GT3
1,966 Posts
This goes to the wrapper poster above:
I wrapped my side/front splitters with 3M. Great product but the 3M weave is a little large, but yours looks smaller like it should be. I tore mine off and having it all painted to match the car and then clear wrap etc…. BTW, that’s what I did to my 987 today.. that and adjusted my wing to the top notch on all 4’s…

·
Administrator
1,980 Posts
Great that you posted this to the forum.. I think I might copy your post to a stand-alone thread in the DIY forum.

When you have a chance - please take a few moments to introduce yourself and car(s) to the other members. The New Member Introductions is the place to do that.

Welcome to Planet-9, the Friendly Porsche Forum!

Reactions: E46to987

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had de-lamination on one of the silver trim pieces on the steering wheel. In lieu of paying $100 for that one piece of plastic, I decided to do carbon Fiber wrap on all the trim pieces. I really like how it turned out.

View attachment 284078
That looks terrific. Mind sharing what wrap you used, and any application guide you referenced? I’ve always disliked the sparkly silver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks Sherman,

I used RockRose 5d Black high gloss vinyl carbon wrap. It has been used by a couple others on this forum. I watched some youtube videos on removing the airbag (easy), then removed the three trim pieces and just took my time with the wrap. First time I have ever wrapped anything. I'm thinking of doing my shift knob as well since the blue leather is showing signs of wear. If it doesn't work, it can be easily removed. I bought a 1ft x 5ft strip of vinyl, so I have plenty left.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Thanks Sherman,

I used RockRose 5d Black high gloss vinyl carbon wrap. It has been used by a couple others on this forum. I watched some youtube videos on removing the airbag (easy), then removed the three trim pieces and just took my time with the wrap. First time I have ever wrapped anything. I'm thinking of doing my shift knob as well since the blue leather is showing signs of wear. If it doesn't work, it can be easily removed. I bought a 1ft x 5ft strip of vinyl, so I have plenty left.
Food for thought on the 5D-7D carbon wrap material… when heated, stretched and pulled into place so far I’ve had 2 brands (tech wrap) and Vvivid… when it gets wet, moisture somehow gets under that clear top layer…

Attachments

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Quick snap after wrapping Conti DWS all-seasons on some reasonably priced FlowOne F2s from Tire Rack to get me through the winter. I had put PS4Ss on the stock wheels over the summer and didn’t make sense to keep swapping tires every season.
View attachment 284110
View attachment 284109
Not sure what your summer wheels are but those look great

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not sure what your summer wheels are but those look great
Thanks. i thought they look pretty fitting too, might put some spacers in a few months. Also helps the car is lowered slightly.

I have the Michelins on OE 18” S wheels

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Thanks. i thought they look pretty fitting too, might put some spacers in a few months. Also helps the car is lowered slightly.

I have the Michelins on OE 18” S wheels
Man… I’d switch out… new ones wider? Get them flush would be aggressive looking

8901 - 8920 of 8938 Posts