Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
9021 - 9040 of 9069 Posts

· Registered
2011 Porsche Cayman S
305 Posts
I consider getting a GT4 bumper cover when I scraped up mine but price kept me from that and I went with repairing it. Where did you get the kit?

Shawn in VA (USA)
I got it from Rennline when they were having their Christmas sales going on. I got the whole setup for $199. It was a great deal. That was for the vent, the mesh grill and template including free shipping at the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
2006 987 Cayman S
92 Posts
PCCM+ has been installed! I believe I am one of the first 3-5 units in Southern California, if not nationwide. Big thanks to Porsche of San Diego for getting the unit out to me as soon as they stocked it. Super happy with how OEM+ the whole package is, the UI/UX is similar to the 992-gen, directions show up on the digital speedometer, and no more terrible, greasy buttons.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Gadget Steering wheel Automotive design

· Administrator
2,235 Posts
PCCM+ has been installed! I believe I am one of the first 3-5 units in Southern California, if not nationwide. Big thanks to Porsche of San Diego for getting the unit out to me as soon as they stocked it. Super happy with how OEM+ the whole package is, the UI/UX is similar to the 992-gen, directions show up on the digital speedometer, and no more terrible, greasy buttons.
Sounds like it's going to be great, a tad expensive, but good functionality and obviously looks like it belongs in the dash. As far as the knobs - those those look identical to the ones I had on my '06 Cayenne - which became mushy and sticky and eventually dusty. And they're similar to the ones on my '11 Cayenne - which became mushy and sticky and eventually dusty. After so many generations of stupid knobs you'd think Porsche would figure out we don't really need soft-touch on the PCM knobs..

· Registered
95 Posts
Was able to pick up my ‘09 BS today at Crown Custom in Wheeling, IL (great shop). They refinished my 19” Porsche wheels in a body color match Arctic Silver with gloss black accents; wrapped taillights with a light smoke; wrapped the spoiler in gloss black; painted rear vents in gloss black. I changed out badges to black from Suncoast also. I think I like the overall impact and would like to hear opinions also.

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

· Registered
2011 Cayman S, Sport Chrono
153 Posts

View attachment 285502
Do you have a part number on the PCCM+ unit? I assume the Apple CarPlay requires a wired connection?

I’ve found that ”sticky” knobs and plastic can be cleaned with Zep Heavy Duty Citrus Cleaner. Spray some on a microfiber and clean it off. Takes a few rounds, but it works. The sticky stuff gets on the microfiber so you have to use different sections of the microfiber for each round. A thinner microfiber works best as it provides more direct friction. Then make sure to clean off the Zep from the plastic components with water or alcohol/water solution.

· Administrator
2,235 Posts
I put a deposit down on "my" soon-to-be-mine 987. I am impossibly excited. And just like that, my M3/4/5 is up for sale.
As soon as you get it - and take the mandatory new car pictures, we expect to see you and it in a post in New Member Introductions

Meanwhile - congrats - you're gonna love it.

Reactions: ShortShorts

· Registered
2006 987 Cayman S
92 Posts
Do you have a part number on the PCCM+ unit? I assume the Apple CarPlay requires a wired connection?

I’ve found that ”sticky” knobs and plastic can be cleaned with Zep Heavy Duty Citrus Cleaner. Spray some on a microfiber and clean it off. Takes a few rounds, but it works. The sticky stuff gets on the microfiber so you have to use different sections of the microfiber for each round. A thinner microfiber works best as it provides more direct friction. Then make sure to clean off the Zep from the plastic components with water or alcohol/water solution.
Sure - 99764259100 is the part number for USDM cars. Sadly, the CarPlay is wired - looking into an adapter for wireless capability, however. From what I understand, these PCM buttons are made to look like the original 987.1 buttons, but do not suffer from the degradation that the original buttons did. Porsche solved this issue in the 9x7.2 generation.

· Registered
2006 987 Cayman S
92 Posts
Sounds like it's going to be great, a tad expensive, but good functionality and obviously looks like it belongs in the dash. As far as the knobs - those those look identical to the ones I had on my '06 Cayenne - which became mushy and sticky and eventually dusty. And they're similar to the ones on my '11 Cayenne - which became mushy and sticky and eventually dusty. After so many generations of stupid knobs you'd think Porsche would figure out we don't really need soft-touch on the PCM knobs..
Au contraire, these knobs are not soft touch and are made to look like the 987.1 knobs without actually falling apart if you even look at them. Porsche solved this in the 9x7.2+ cars - interesting to hear about your 958 having that issue. Our 958tt hasn't had that degradation (2014MY).

· Administrator
2,235 Posts
Au contraire, these knobs are not soft touch and are made to look like the 987.1 knobs without actually falling apart if you even look at them. Porsche solved this in the 9x7.2+ cars - interesting to hear about your 958 having that issue. Our 958tt hasn't had that degradation (2014MY).
Just give your car some time, especially if it lives outside (mine used to get the garage, but that space is now occupied by the Boxster.. so the TT sits in the driveway, and isn't happy about it..) The knobs turned to the usual sticky/mushy feel at about 10 years. Right now they have those dreadful Chinese trim rings on them - at least they feel OK and don't leave sticky feeling fingers after using one. I have replacements on my Suncoast wish list that I give out on gift-giving occasions. So far no one wanted to spring $75 for a pair of knobs.

· Registered
24 Posts
Finished up installing a shallow mount Alpine iLX-W650 head unit, love it! There is room for an amp behind the head unit. I have the non Bose system. Sound is much better but not good enough. The upside is CarPlay works wireless.
I plan on replacing all speakers. I have the raised grills in the door where the 8" speakers go, but there is no sound from there.
My plan is a pair of 8" woofers, 4 4" mids and a pair of tweeters, not looking for monster sound but nice clean full bodied sound.
Input device Electronic instrument Computer network Audio equipment Computer hardware

· Registered
95 Posts
Finished up installing a shallow mount Alpine iLX-W650 head unit, love it! There is room for an amp behind the head unit. I have the non Bose system. Sound is much better but not good enough. The upside is CarPlay works wireless.
I plan on replacing all speakers. I have the raised grills in the door where the 8" speakers go, but there is no sound from there.
My plan is a pair of 8" woofers, 4 4" miss and a pair of tweeters, not looking for monster sound but nice clean full bodied sound. View attachment 285650 View attachment 285649 View attachment 285650 View attachment 285650 View attachment 285649 View attachment 285649
For some reason, can’t open the pictures…love to see visuals of your alpine head unit after install.

· Registered
153 Posts
Changed my oil. My 987.2 is supposed to take 8 quarts I think. But I ended up using 9 full quarts and have it one bar under completely full.

Have now started working on coilover and sway bar install. Excited to get my Ohlins R&T and Tarret sways installed.

· Registered
2,066 Posts
Greg - This is about as low in the rear as you can set the Ohlins; as the golden control knob is almost touching the rubber half shaft billows. As it is I use my thumb and finger to change the settings. Not sure which Tarett sway bar you are using, but my GT bar, I actually had to cut off the last hole as the bar was hitting the OEM LCA. When I switched to the Taratt Cup Race LCA's the axle never moved around again due to the solid red center puck.

Greg, you most likely will also need an adjustable rear toe link, to get he correct alignment toe in. I needed Elephant link with a bumpsteer adjustment. Also shown is the GT2 rear brake duct strapped to the Tarett LCA.

You can also see the LN skid plate under the 10 qt LN sump. There are a few marks in the skid plate from speed bumps but not deep enough to touch the sump just light scratches.

These mods were from 2017 including corner balancing with 200 lbs in the driver seat, No problems with any of these mods and 30k miles later.

Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Vehicle

· Registered
153 Posts
Thanks for the pics and info Apex. I'm glad to hear the setup has held up well.

I did get the GT sway bars. I believe they have some stiffer ones as well, but these have some adjustment so I'm hopefully fine. In addition to the Tarrett sway bars, I also have the Tarrett adjustable drop links, toe links, camber plates and shock mounts. I will hold off on LCA's for another season.

Was it front or back where you had to cut the sway bar so it wouldn't hit the LCA? What positions do you use on the sway bars? Tarrett recommended the middle point on the front and the second hole on the softer side for the rear as a starting point.

· Registered
2,066 Posts
The rear Tarett GT bar was hitting the OEM LCAs on both sides. My shop said that the OEM center puck allows a lot of axle movement forward and back. They claimed 4 " total movement, so that was one of my goals to eliminate this movement. 2nd year, I got the Tarett Cup Race LCA's installed to -2.5 f and -2.4 r. with no axle movement Later I increased the camber to -2.9 due to Hoosier recommendation of at least -3.0 front camber.

I used Tarett's swaybar recommendation to start, but found that with a Wavetrac LSD, I needed more oversteer in front, so I stiffened the rear and used less in front. That combo seemed to work well. I could do a set well, but the biggest issue was no under steer after the apex with the LSD pushing for all it's worth. So unless you also have a LSD, then start with Tarett's recommendation and go from there. I have a larger front tire footprint to add traction to the front. I run 255/35/18 on 9 inch wide wheels f and 275/35/18 r on 10 inch wheels. Using RE71RS and feel really good about their longevity.

I thought about the Tarett camber plates, but read numerous web responses about how the center bearing would fail causing all sort of noise, The removal of that bearing is a lot of work, So, I did not do this mod, stopped at -2.9 camber using OEM camber and Tarett cup LCA's shims. Longivity says this was the right move as there is no way that camber plate bearing would last this long. But, I also agree that using both the LCA;s and camber plate makes each work well in their respective area, meaning not taxing either mod to the max.

9021 - 9040 of 9069 Posts