Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy I spoke to is selling it for $45K. Description is below. He said the car has been in an accident and has been restored. It was just exterior damage. I looked at carfax and it had 14 reported. He told me it was all the work that was done onto the vehicle, and wheel alignment was one of them. One of his receipts he showed me was a $3000 repair where the headlamp costed $1200. I figured, if it's just exterior damage, this should be a steal as the car is well optioned. I just want to see if I'm missing anything else. Thanks for all your inputs in advance

20-inch Carrera classic wheels (a $4,290 option), PDK transmission with paddle shifters, POWER 14-way SPORT SEATS WITH MEMORY, Bi-Xenon Headlights with the Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus that allow the lights to see around corners, Premium Plus package with dual zone climate control, automatic dimming mirrors with rain sensor, Porsche entry and drive with electrically adjustable steering wheel and seats, interior LED lighting package, lumbar seats, adjustable thigh support, seat heaters and steering wheel heat, premium sound system, NAVIGATION SYSTEM, power steering plus system, SPORTS CHRONO PACKAGE with SPORT PLUS mode (a $1,850 option), Infotainment package with Bose surround sound (a $4,690 option) with SIRIUS SATELLITE RADIO, bluetooth for handsfree calling. This car originally sold for $77k and has been garaged and meticulously brought back to life.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
That was a very heavily optioned car. As we all know the price of options essentially vaporize when you sell any car. The big killer however is that this car has been involved in an accident which cost quite a lot to repair. Fairly or unfairly cars with accident reports take a huge depreciation hit. A couple of years ago a friend of mine had his 997S involved in an accident. The repair costs were over $10K. Since the accident was the fault of the other driver, he received a check for over $8K from the other driver's Insurance company for diminished value.

So if you like the options on the car, it may be good deal but don't forget that car will be hard to sell because it doesn't have a clean CarFax.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Personally I would go ahead with it provided everything else looked fine. Looks like the damages you mentioned were all repaired anyway. As long as nothing looks bent and out of shape in the suspension, and you aren't looking to throw the car back out for sale in near term ... then this is a good deal.

If you plan on having this car for 6 years or something, then not having a clean carfax isn't that big of a deal as the car would depreciate towards zero either case. That's just me though.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The accident doesn't look too bad, so the car is probably ok. In the pictures, the gap between the hood and front bumper looks off. That would bother me. Seems like it wasn't properly aligned during repairs.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Maybe it's just me or the lighting...but the hood gaps to the front bumper dont look quite right.
I was thinking the same thing. Might just be the angle.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
As said earlier, if you are going to keep it for quite a while then it might be a good buy. However, before I got too serious I would want to put it up on a lift and very, very carefully go over every inch of the car looking for "things" that did not look right ( bent pieces, bad paint re-spray, body - and wheel - alignment), and would want to drive it paying close attention to tracking, shifting, noise, vibrations, harshness, etc.

It sounds like a very good deal, but the question is why?

Reactions: jpccarguy

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Doesn't seem like a crazy good deal.yes it's a heavy optioned car, but options do little for car value. Looks like a base and not s too. You could probably find plenty of deals like this with cars that haven't had accidents.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Doesn't seem like a crazy good deal.yes it's a heavy optioned car, but options do little for car value. Looks like a base and not s too. You could probably find plenty of deals like this with cars that haven't had accidents.
I agree, you are looking at a 3K price difference for a base w/o an accident, I would pay a bit more and get one with a clean carfax. You never know what brings you, if you do need to sell it quick. You will find it extremely difficult to do so.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Is it an S or base? Do you know the total costs of the repairs? $3000 is practically nohting when it comes to luxury cars. That what would cost to fix light scratch on the bumper...

The guy I spoke to is selling it for $45K. Description is below. He said the car has been in an accident and has been restored. It was just exterior damage. I looked at carfax and it had 14 reported. He told me it was all the work that was done onto the vehicle, and wheel alignment was one of them. One of his receipts he showed me was a $3000 repair where the headlamp costed $1200. I figured, if it's just exterior damage, this should be a steal as the car is well optioned. I just want to see if I'm missing anything else. Thanks for all your inputs in advance

20-inch Carrera classic wheels (a $4,290 option), PDK transmission with paddle shifters, POWER 14-way SPORT SEATS WITH MEMORY, Bi-Xenon Headlights with the Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus that allow the lights to see around corners, Premium Plus package with dual zone climate control, automatic dimming mirrors with rain sensor, Porsche entry and drive with electrically adjustable steering wheel and seats, interior LED lighting package, lumbar seats, adjustable thigh support, seat heaters and steering wheel heat, premium sound system, NAVIGATION SYSTEM, power steering plus system, SPORTS CHRONO PACKAGE with SPORT PLUS mode (a $1,850 option), Infotainment package with Bose surround sound (a $4,690 option) with SIRIUS SATELLITE RADIO, bluetooth for handsfree calling. This car originally sold for $77k and has been garaged and meticulously brought back to life.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
image1.JPG This is what he sent me. and this is what he wrote: The car was brought to have an alignment of course (that's probably one of the 14 records) but they didn't make any adjustments to it because it did not affect anything other than the surface damage that you see in the pics. This is what they wrote about the alignment after they checked it:PERFORM ALIGNMENT, ALL MODELS BUT 993
N CHECK ALIGNMENT OF VEHICLE
3713 IP (N/C)
PARTS: 0.00 LABOR: 0.00 OTHER: 0.00 TOTAL LINE L: 0.00
6070 0.50 PERFORMED ALIGNMENT CHECK. ALL ALIGNMENT VALUES ARE WITHIN
THE SPECIFIED RANGE. NO ADJUSTMENT NEEDED. VERIFIED WITH ROAD TEST.

It goes straight down the road and drives beautifully too. You wont believe how awesome it drives. So the other records are probably lien holders (no longer has a lien holder though), titling (moved from Washington to Oregon to Maine), a couple trips to the Porsche dealer to deal with a navigation system software update and an update to the pinch protection on the windows (but that was done at like 1500 miles or so and every Boxster was called in for that), a Maine State vehicle inspection after they did all the restoration work (which it passed with flying colors), a coolant flush and filter and an oil change at 10,000 miles (with Mobil 1 of course:). And obviously I dont charge any sort of doc fees or anything like that, hahaa, I learned the hard way on that when I was all set to buy a car once and then they added on like over $1000 of crazy fees that I had never even heard of. SO, yeah, no surprises with this car, everything was meticulously restored with brand new Porsche parts, the receipt of which I have attached just so you can see it. The restoration was so meticulous in part because it was for my Mom's 60th birthday and so I wanted it to be absolutely perfect, lol, little did I realize at the time that she wanted a convertible with back seats. So, yeah, E Class convertible it is (BORING!). Oh well, haha.

He kind of dodged the "what is the nature of the accident question". And the alignment seems like he could have just typed that in. I'll ask more questions. This car though is missing one big component for me. THE PSE!! If I retrofit it on at a dealer, it's going to run about 4K -_-

·
Registered
625 Posts
Walk away. You're not saving much and you'll be saving yourself possible headaches later on.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Maybe it's just me or the lighting...but the hood gaps to the front bumper dont look quite right.
I agree. In the 2nd photo you can see narrowing of the hood gap. In the 3rd it is not evident. I still think the odds are high that the slope of that hood and bumper are not like they were before the accident.

The other concern I have is if the hood was replaced or not. From the factory there's a sticker on the underside of the hood that shows all the option codes that Porsche provided on the car when it left the factory. If the hood was replaced it will not be there. This can matter for later resale since a wiser buyer will check for this sticker.

·
Registered
314 Posts
For a car that had accidents, you would want to know what the 14 reported incidents were - discounting a handful for the repairs, alignment, and inspections, there's still a heap of records, perhaps too many for a 1 owner, 1 year old car.

If you are really interested, buy that CarFax. While you're at it, buy the AutoCheck record as well.

For buying from a private owner, you aren't saving much compared to a car from a Porsche dealership that has no stories, possibly a CPO warranty, and all the benefits that come from buying from someone that will be there months or years into the ownership of your car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts