Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Planet-9 Enthusiasts,

I am pleased to announce that we will be sending not 1, but 2 of our own members to Geneva for the press day to gather as much information as they can on the new Cayman GT4. We are hoping to also be able to stream the launch of the event live depending upon the bandwidth available to our reporters while on site. In the mean time before they pack their bags and cameras and recording equipment, what would YOU the members of Planet-9.com like to make sure our reporters find out while on site. Please compile a list of your questions below so our reporters have something to ask!

Sincerely,

·
Registered
145 Posts
What is the difference in the new rear suspension?

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are a few things I guess I'd like to know...

1) Can you order the club sport package at a later date and then add it to the car? (You have been able to do this with GT3 club sport packages in the past, you couldn't get them with the car new in the U.S. but dealers could order them via parts, have them shipped from Germany and installed in US cars, all the mounting points were there, etc.)

2) Is the rear hatch aluminum or still steel?

3) Does the colored stitching come standard or is that an added cost option? (this may be answered by the configurator before Geneva)

4) Will there be a powerkit upgrade like there is already for the same motor in the 991S/GTS?

5) Is sport exhaust standard? (again likely answered by configurator before Geneva)

That's enough for now, it's getting late...

·
Registered
770 Posts
Is this going to be a single-year production model or can we expect a 2016 model, too?
What are the standard seats for the US production model?

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
All good questions. Keep them coming. I am not sure I will get time do to an interview like the evo interview while there (I know I will not!), but I will see what I can do to get some answers.

As I prepare, here are some things I am setting up/have set up (I will start more in a separate threat in Automotive Off-topic or Planet-9 News forum as Ken prefers):

1. I created a car related twitter account (don't want to bore my non-car enthused tech followers on my other twitter account): @Mike981S
2. I plan to use my blog to document some of the prep work and the show. Started today: http://www.planet-9.com/entry.php?b=5460
3. I am looking into some live streaming options (not sure yet how we want to sync times but we will figure it out)
4. I will upload pictures here and on my flickr account
5. Will use my youtube channel for video footage.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Mike, what's your YouTube since i have no social media accounts?

Who else is going with you from P9?

·
Registered
179 Posts
- Will there be a lifter kit for the front suspension?

- When is the PDK or PDK-S version arriving?

- Why is the power output from the 3.8 engine lower than the equivalent unit in the 911 (even without powerkit)?

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
- Will there be a lifter kit for the front suspension?

- When is the PDK or PDK-S version arriving?

- Why is the power output from the 3.8 engine lower than the equivalent unit in the 911 (even without powerkit)?
I would like to know more specific details about this last question. The EVO interview with Porsche stated that Porsche was not protecting the 911 with the GT4 power output but yet they used a detuned 3.8L from the 911S. Is this to allow for future growth of GT4 power output or is the power output intentionally detuned to protect the 911? Also, is Porsche going to offer a power kit option for the GT4 later on?

Reactions: tkutz

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Confirm the suspension similarities to the GT3- are the sway bars adjustable? Are the lower control arms 2 piece to allow for shims to adjust camber?

What is the oiling system on the engine - is it the same as the Carrera or does it use the external tank and other oiling system components of the GT3?

Confirm that the optional bucket seats are the same as the lightweight bucket seats from the GT3 and will they be available for the US market at launch? Why is there no passenger seat cutout for 6 pt harness anti-sub belt in these seats?

Looks like this is mostly covered in the configurator and web site- "integrated" sump engine, adjustable suspension

·
Registered
947 Posts
Will the manual include Rev Matching, and if so does it require Sport mode (in other words, can you turn it off if so desired)?

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Confirm the suspension similarities to the GT3- are the sway bars adjustable? Are the lower control arms 2 piece to allow for shims to adjust camber?
Yes, there is shims/camber adjustment. Guy plainly says it in evo interview

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I wonder if this (meaning putting the number at 385) is just to keep everything in order (Carrera S)?
The guy from Porsche in the EVO video mentioned every time that it is 'at least' 385 hp...I think at some point he even joked and said 385 hp at 10,000 feet.
Then he said - you know we are very conservative with our numbers....

My guess is - the car makes 400hp but Porsche decided to put 385 as the 'official' number for brochures and websites to give the 911 S crowd the 15hp 'advantage' on paper.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I'm pretty sure I heard Preuninger say the control arms are adjustable with shims, the sway bar is adjustable (3-way I think he said) and the engine is a "pseudo dry sump" NOT like the GT3 engine.
I also totally agree that the actual engine power is greater than 385HP. Preuninger said something like "you'll feel it" meaning the extra HP. Preuninger is a big fan of the GTS, and he clearly thinks the GT4 is a significant upgrade from that car.

My question: can I buy the bucket seats in the US and fit them in my GTS? (Assuming I have enough money to do so. LOL)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Standard equipment is Sport Chrono Package with "SPORT" button', but there is an $1,850 option of `Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App'.
This option just adds an analog stopwatch on the dashboard and smartphone application?

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I wonder if this (meaning putting the number at 385) is just to keep everything in order (Carrera S)?
The guy from Porsche in the EVO video mentioned every time that it is 'at least' 385 hp...I think at some point he even joked and said 385 hp at 10,000 feet.
Then he said - you know we are very conservative with our numbers....

My guess is - the car makes 400hp but Porsche decided to put 385 as the 'official' number for brochures and websites to give the 911 S crowd the 15hp 'advantage' on paper.
I think what he meant by that is the engines that they QA check on a dyno has to produce between X and Y horsepower with X being 385hp. I think Porsche's acceptable variance in output is between 100 - 105% of rated HP or its between 0 and 5 hp over rated. I forget which criteria they use. The configurator says 385hp so that's the number + statistical variations within that range...but at least 385hp.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
That configurator must have been thrown together pretty quickly! Nearly every technical spec is TBD. No idea what the rear wheel size is, as Preuninger said they were made especially for the GT4. My guess is 10" or 11" with 295s since the GT3 has 12" wheels with 305s. Essentially a brand new set of wheels due mainly to the 5-lug design, but also for the demands of the GT4. Given the price Porsche charges for wheels, a set of HREs might not seem so expensive...

·
Registered
194 Posts
That configurator must have been thrown together pretty quickly! Nearly every technical spec is TBD. No idea what the rear wheel size is, as Preuninger said they were made especially for the GT4. My guess is 10" or 11" with 295s since the GT3 has 12" wheels with 305s. Essentially a brand new set of wheels due mainly to the 5-lug design, but also for the demands of the GT4. Given the price Porsche charges for wheels, a set of HREs might not seem so expensive...
Build:Standard Configuration;
8.5 J x 20" GT4 light alloy wheels with 245/35 ZR 20 performance summer tires (front)
11 J x 20" GT4 light alloy wheels with 295/30 ZR 20 performance summer tires (rear)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Couple of the questions asked here have already been answered.

- PSE is Standard Equipment-
- 2 Way sport seats are standard
- sport chrono with sport button is standard

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Can we put on our 18" rims?

Note: 18' rims are popular for using super soft R comp. Not much choice for good rubber on 19" or 20".

1 - 20 of 188 Posts