Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Car Colors

Hi there, new member's first post here. :cheers:

I've been toying on the configurator for months while I plug away at the missus for permission to buy a new BGTS. She's wavering, I tell you, she's wavering...

I have been struggling with the colours though. So many dull cars on the streets nowadays - silvers, greys and blacks - and a sports car should stand out, right?

But whenever I look at the photos of the second hand cars (for inspiration), I'm never inspired by the black leather interior. I love the idea of contrasting stitching, a dark dash and brighter seats. If I were buying a 911 it would be a black/garnet red interior, and I've come to the conclusion that my BGTS has to be Agate/Amber.

That done, I'm struggling to choose anything but the Agate exterior. It looks right. I figure Anthracite Brown would also work, or even black.... But Agate exterior strikes me as the best with Agate/Amber interior. Happy to be told I'm wrong though...

·
Registered
262 Posts

Agate/Amber is nice! The dealer here in Nova Scotia has a black GTS with that interior and it looks great!

Reactions: Pokerhobo

·
Registered
4,682 Posts

I was somewhat close to choosing Agate/Amber. I'd have had it with Sapphire Blue. There's a few members here that have it with DBM and that looks great as well. One in particular has DBM with the painted interior dash and door strips and I love the way that one came out. I'd have never thought to do it, but having seen the pics, it's downright stunning.

Reactions: Milehigh981

·
Registered
370 Posts

The solid Agate Grey interior in leather is a good alternative to black. I found black a bit dull , Agate Grey is much more interesting.

·
Registered
51 Posts

I have dark blue metallic and agate/amber. It's a great combination. I love the agate/amber interior, and I get lots of compliments on it.

The salesman tried to discourage me from ordering it, but once it came they liked it so much they ordered an inventory car in agate/amber.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts

The solid Agate Grey interior in leather is a good alternative to black. I found black a bit dull , Agate Grey is much more interesting.
Before going down this road, it's worth noting that there are a bunch of interior parts that come in black that won't match the Agate interior unless you spend a bunch to have them covered in leather. BJR pointed this out a little while back. They include things like the PCM and steering column, among others. Going with black gives a lot more uniformity.

Reactions: eteled

·
Registered
625 Posts

I was somewhat close to choosing Agate/Amber. I'd have had it with Sapphire Blue. There's a few members here that have it with DBM and that looks great as well. One in particular has DBM with the painted interior dash and door strips and I love the way that one came out. I'd have never thought to do it, but having seen the pics, it's downright stunning.
Sapphire blue and agate amber is a great combo.

+1. Love the color.

·
Registered
503 Posts

So many dull cars on the streets nowadays - silvers, greys and blacks - and a sports car should stand out, right?
"Should" is up to you. If you want grey then get grey.

But Agate exterior strikes me as the best with Agate/Amber interior. Happy to be told I'm wrong though...
It's entirely subjective. If you want feedback then find someone with an aesthetic sense in line with your own or one you trust versus just polling random people on a forum site.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

Just remember that any exterior color will go flat/dull if you don't keep it polished/clean. Black has a high maintenance, but it is wonderful if kept polished.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

Black interior also makes the cabin feels small, amber and sapphire is a perfect combo.

·
Registered
219 Posts

image.jpg

The interior I chose is not a combination of two colours, but only one. In my case, i selected full agate grey, rather than black. I thought it would not be as strict as black. Basically, it is dark enough but not too dark... Hope you follow me! In my case I also added a red deviating stitching on the seats. I have enclosed a picture of the door panel in Agate Grey. In your case, if you select the Agate Grey as the exterior colour, I sincerly think that a combo between 2 colours for the interiors would be better (such as Agate Grey / Orange). Otherwise it would be the same hue inside and outside. And I believe you need some contrast...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

"Should" is up to you. If you want grey then get grey.

It's entirely subjective. If you want feedback then find someone with an aesthetic sense in line with your own or one you trust versus just polling random people on a forum site.
I'm just canvassing others' opinions and experience. The first point, about sports cars standing out, was a rhetorical question; the second one was very much looking for suggestions. I don't want a grey car - I'm looking for an exterior that goes really well with my chosen interior.

I hadn't considered Agate/Amber with Sapphire Blue for example - it doesn't look right on the configurator and I'd never seen the combo either in person or in a photo. It's a useful discussion for me.

·
Registered
848 Posts

Sapphire Blue is a brilliant exterior color, I'm totally happy with it. I couldn't say how it goes with the amber though. (It looks very classy with agate/pebble.)

·
Registered
51 Posts

Agate/Amber looks really bad in the configurator. It's much nicer in real life.

I hadn't considered Agate/Amber with Sapphire Blue for example - it doesn't look right on the configurator and I'd never seen the combo either in person or in a photo. It's a useful discussion for me.

·
Registered
693 Posts

Let your wife choose. It will help with the wavering. :naughty:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Let your wife choose. It will help with the wavering. :naughty:
lol. I get your point. She told me last night that she doesn't like the amber though. :hilarious:
:crazy:

More work required... I'm not giving up on that interior.

·
Registered
700 Posts

We love the agate/amber and it does go well with anthracite brown. I have seen the interior with white and dark blue metallic and it goes well with both of those. I would also think black or GT silver would be nice. Agate gray goes without saying. If you are looking for "pop" I would say white or GT silver with the agate/amber. Dark blue metallic is obviously darker but still with more color that the other dark shades. Anthracite has some color but is subdued much like Agate gray.

I'm with you though and cannot picture sapphire blue with agate/amber and can't find a picture online to check out.

·
Registered
307 Posts

Dark Blue Metallic and Agate/Amber here -- same situation as @donv; dealer tried to discourage me, but ordered it anyway and am glad I did. It really pops and adds a little sparkle to an otherwise classy/subdued exterior color.

I've seen many pictures on here of it in the White exterior and they looked fabulous as well. If I was a fan of white cars, I'd have configured it that way in a second. It's also been done with the Agate exterior, and that looks really good, too. But, IMO, I think it pops more on the Dark Blue and White.

Some other really sexy looking options I've seen 'round here: White exterior w/ Espresso + white belts; Sapphire exterior w/ Red; and I believe I saw a White w/ Blue interior which was pretty neat. Honestly, I really wish I could get on board with white cars, because I've seen some pretty nice combos in that color. I guess it's like a sterile exterior on which every little detail can pop and the net result just looks so clean.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts

Yeah... Agate/Amber looks great in a white car. If you're feeling spendy, go for the metallic white. :D

Reactions: 293866

·
Registered
281 Posts

Before going down this road, it's worth noting that there are a bunch of interior parts that come in black that won't match the Agate interior unless you spend a bunch to have them covered in leather. BJR pointed this out a little while back. They include things like the PCM and steering column, among others. Going with black gives a lot more uniformity.
Nahh....haha - I have a standard Luxor interior, and none of the black bits bother one bit. You'll be concentrating on how the steering wheel, complete dash and carpets are all in a color that isn't black, you'll barely notice the black steering column or infotainment surround.

To the OP, I really like the agate/amber interior, but I also like a universally light one, so I went with Luxor to get the light dash and steering wheel. But that amber is a treat.

As for paint, I went with anthracite which is a very nice color. Its more muted than the older macademia color, but its still definitely brown except in a quick glance under poor lighting it can appear Grey. I love it, but agate Grey is a great choice and I think I'd pick it if you wanted the amber interior.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts