Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

Which of the shown interior trims do you prefer for the GT4?

• Standard brushed Alu with center console in leather

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • Anodized Black Alu trim

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • CF Trim with center console in leather

Votes: 27 28.4%
  • Yellow trim with center console in leather

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • I don't like any of them, I prefer ... (please provide your preference below)

Votes: 10 10.5%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As always I am still wavering with the colors. Especially if I get the martini stripes, then the car best is white or silver. And my wife is not helping by saying that she likes the reds, the GT Silver, the white, the sapphire blue and the yellow :hilarious:

Another thing that I am debating is the interior. And yes, I know it is a GT4 and it should not matter, but I am a bit OCD and since I am sitting inside the car, it is a bit important to me. And don't laugh if you look at the picture, I was not believing myself when I clicked that one option :D (guess which one I am referring to).

Anyway, here is my dilemma:

Since the car is black with yellow stitching (if I go with yellow) or the grey stitching (for other colors), I am debating the trim pieces. The default is the brushed alu which is nice, and goes well with the cross bar behind the seats:

GT4_yellow_brushedAlu_centerleather.JPG

Note that I replace the center console trim with leather because I prefer to not have something shiny down there (I have the normal trim in my Boxster and this is one thing I probably would add now).

However, I could go with the anodized brushed Alu (that does not allow the leather center console trim):
GT4_yellow_brushedAlublack.JPG

But my initial feel is that it is making the cabin too dark and I would want the door pulls be aligned too.

The seats have CF, so I think the CF package with the center console trim still in leather nicely ties the CF parts together:

GT4_yellow_carbon_centerleather.JPG

But it is still quite dark and may not be enough contrast between the leather and alcantara based on what I saw in a 981 GTS at the dealer. And I would want to have the door pull trim in CF as well... and soon I am overtaking Brian as the best DBCarbon customer :hilarious:.

So the other option would be yellow painted trim:

GT4_yellow_yellow_centerleather.JPG

Note that I actually am surprised that I like it. But I think I know why. It does still have the center console trim in leather and does not include the PCM trim. I still would not do these two in color.

Anyway, interested in hearing your comments about my taste :hilarious: and your preferences. I probably will disregard the consensus anyway :hilarious:

I am currently wavering between the last two if the exterior is yellow or red and CF and probably go CF for most other exterior colors, and keep the stock brushed Alu if I go silver.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Of course this is all taste oriented as you know but since you asked. :)

I never liked the cheap plastic trim pieces in the 981s. If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten the WW version of the black brushed aluminium with my two tone leather interior. However, you want a black interior which is perfect with a yellow car so I would not get a dark colored trim piece because it makes the interior too dark and I like some mild contrast. That rules out CF and brushed black aluminium.

I don't like painted bits in the interior especially such stark contrast with bright colors like yellow or red. That is just my preference. Including gauge faces etc.

I love the lightly applied deivated stitching in yellow in your car.

Your first pic is my preference.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Aesthetics are extremely subjective. That said, I think CF will bring the sexy over the long term -- never drifting into garish -- or dull -- which I believe some of the other options will -- notwithstanding my opening comment. :)

Reactions: acropora

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
LOVE everything about it (the same way I built my dream GT4), except the yellow vents.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Firstly... you mention that you can't get the leather console trim with the black aluminum. Let me reassure you that with the black console, it won't matter. I really dislike that trim in any colour that doesn't blend in with the rest of the console. It just seems disjointed and out of place to me. So with that in mind, rest assured that the black aluminum blends in beautifully and you won't even know it's there until you touch it with your hand and feel the coolness. SO... if you like the look of all black, I highly recommend the black aluminum. I love it in mine, though mine is a two-tone interior so the aluminum merges nicely with the black upper part.

The only other option I'd consider is the painted one with the leather console trim. I think the painted strips look quite striking in the otherwise black interior. It can get ridiculous and disjointed if you start going further with it such as with the center console and PCM and stuff... but just the dash and door strips look just fine to me.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I too would like the dark aluminum trim with the leather center console, but, alas…..
Heard that the (fake) cf pieces delaminate sooner than later. DB is probably the safer way to go if you like the carbon.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I too would like the dark aluminum trim with the leather center console, but, alas…..
Heard that the (fake) cf pieces delaminate sooner than later. DB is probably the safer way to go if you like the carbon.
I stress again... there is no need for the leather center console trim with the black aluminum. The black aluminum blends in perfectly with the black console. I'll see if I can dig up pictures...

·
Registered
186 Posts
[rant]I'll toss in my $0.02 here. When I ordered my GTS, I wanted a classy and understated look. I personally don't like carbon fiber, and loved the feeling of the brushed aluminum (lucky enough to see it in person).

I then had to choose between black brushed aluminum or contract stitching in silver for my Cayman GTS. I went with the stitching, and while I love the stitching, I'm still a little miffed by the carbon fiber.

THEN the GT4 comes out, and you can get silver contrast stitching AND black brushed aluminum together! >.< However, the center console lid is boring compared to the GTS's (leather, stitch, alcantara, stitch, leather in the GTS vs. straight alcantara w/ no stitching in the GT4), but the GT4 gets the new wheel.

Probably won't help your decision, as our likes and dislikes are very different. [/rant]

IMO, because you're going with the carbon buckets, I'd go full CF including the center console.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All well thought out replies so far. Just not making the decision easier except to highlight that all options have their fans so I will not be completely off regardless of the order. :cheers:

As to the vent slats: I was shocked myself when I clicked on them and I liked them :eek:. But given they are rather thin I personally like the look at least on the config.

Thanks Weasel for the picture. It does look pretty good in real, and if they had a two-tone interior or a red interior (and black exterior), it would be a great fit. But since the interior is only available in black, I think it would be too dark. CF at least has the weave pattern in it and refers to the seat's pattern. My main fear is that the yellow will be too plastic looking in real (guess I have to find a local car to take a look). And yes, anything yellow on the center console or PCM is ridiculous looking to me as well.

As to going with DBCarbon: That's an option too, but I wonder if the door strips can be done for a reasonable price and effort and if the weave will clash with the seat's weave.

Firstly... you mention that you can't get the leather console trim with the black aluminum. Let me reassure you that with the black console, it won't matter. I really dislike that trim in any colour that doesn't blend in with the rest of the console. It just seems disjointed and out of place to me. So with that in mind, rest assured that the black aluminum blends in beautifully and you won't even know it's there until you touch it with your hand and feel the coolness. SO... if you like the look of all black, I highly recommend the black aluminum. I love it in mine, though mine is a two-tone interior so the aluminum merges nicely with the black upper part.

The only other option I'd consider is the painted one with the leather console trim. I think the painted strips look quite striking in the otherwise black interior. It can get ridiculous and disjointed if you start going further with it such as with the center console and PCM and stuff... but just the dash and door strips look just fine to me.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'd probably go for the standard brushed aluminum, but with a brushed aluminum console (if that's an option). That's what we've got currently and we really like it. That's part of what makes the GT4 so cheap, it already has the option we paid good money for in our current Cayman. The brushed Al is very classy and refined. I don't know if that's what you want when buying a GT4.

If I were going totally mad (i.e. buying a GT4) and not listening to the wife, I'd like one in yellow with either CF or Yellow trim. They look great on the configurator. The wife really doesn't like the Yellow though, so that's a non starter. The yellow trim looks a bit "cheap", like you couldn't afford to put something more expensive there. The Yellow looks fun like a toy car is fun. The CF looks very high tech, I like that, but really it introduces another texture which I don't think quite blends, at least by looking on the configurator. I'd like to see the options in person.

Classy, fun or high tech; whatever you want.

(Its obvious I've spent too much time pondering a car I'm not going to buy.)

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Hi Mike,

While the GT4 would ever be a buy for me, I do offer the following.

CF vs leather on center console - albeit I understand not wanting anything shiny down there, CF door sills (no need to personalize), and would do custom CF in any Al areas. Do not like the brushed handles on LG but to cheap to redo. And for me at least no more yellow painted areas. I think a real track designed car is a winner with a lot of CF.

Too bad no mahogany offerings :dance:but as some have said ITStrongO such never belongs in any "sporty" Porsche.

I was over $110 K when I got done with the build.

I'm holding out for the 991 4C GTS in PTS in arena red/ruby red but my Mrs. has since my 1st build developed a serious hearing impediment it seems.:hilarious:

Good luck with whatever. I can not wait to see Liberace's - BJR's comments.

:cheers:

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Interior and exterior color and styling is as personal choice. So, you might not like this answer but, I would not spend one penny embellishing the stock interior in any way for this car. For a base, S, or GTS, maybe. My reasons center around:

1. It's all a waste of money that can be put to better use, for example to get another set of tires because the OEM tires, if DD, are going to go quickly compared to the base, S, or GTS models.

2. If the interior was a bright color, you "might" see the contrast, like a luxor interior contrasted against as CF trim. With everything black, it all flows together into one black nothingness.

3. Once the car is delivered, none of this color/styling choices are worth anything. While PAG will love you and the dealer love you, they will make money and you will lose money (other than the fact you enjoy it).

Looking at the build code you put up, you got $2.3K in interior bling. That's a set of tires.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Interior and exterior color and styling is as personal choice. So, you might not like this answer but, I would not spend one penny embellishing the stock interior in any way for this car. For a base, S, or GTS, maybe. My reasons center around:

1. It's all a waste of money that can be put to better use, for example to get another set of tires because the OEM tires, if DD, are going to go quickly compared to the base, S, or GTS models.

2. If the interior was a bright color, you "might" see the contrast, like a luxor interior contrasted against as CF trim. With everything black, it all flows together into one black nothingness.

3. Once the car is delivered, none of this color/styling choices are worth anything. While PAG will love you and the dealer love you, they will make money and you will lose money (other than the fact you enjoy it).

Looking at the build code you put up, you got $2.3K in interior bling. That's a set of tires.

Just my opinion.
What about bucket seats?

·
Registered
666 Posts
LOVE everything about it (the same way I built my dream GT4), except the yellow vents.
Aesthetics are extremely subjective. That said, I think CF will bring the sexy over the long term -- never drifting into garish -- or dull -- which I believe some of the other options will -- notwithstanding my opening comment. :)

I also have to say no to the yellow vents, especially with the yellow stitching. It's just too much.
So my pick from your post would be the Carbon Fiber picture without the colored slats. The CF goes well with the seats and tones down the yellow accents. The yellow seat belts go well with the yellow door straps on a car with a yellow exterior. Red belts ,red car, etc. Truth be told, if I did not go with either a red or yellow car, I would keep the standard black seat belts.

·
Registered
186 Posts
No offense meant to anybody who loves it, but I personally believe that the painted interior pieces end up looking cheap, just like the stock silver trim pieces. If you want contrast, the silver brushed aluminum is classy and gorgeous.

I'm really bummed you can't get any of the two tone seatbelts in the GT4 like you can in the GTS.

In the end, choose what you love, and do whatever you can to see options in person. The only thing that matters is that you get a giant smirk every time you sit in the driver's seat.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
What about bucket seats?
I didn't mention that because I didn't consider the seat choice a color or styling issue.

Given the fact the car is intended to be tracked/autocross, the buckets are the appropriate seat for the vehicles. Their function fits the function of the car. Further, it's an option that while expensive, the next owner might find valuable if they also use the car as intended. So personally, even if I were not one to heavily used the vehicle for HPDE and the like, I would get them because they fit with the vehicle. IMO, the bucket seats go with that fancy wing and the OEM tires. They are all tied together and should be an integral part of the base price of the car.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts