Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a pre-owned Boxster S 2009 in Aug last year. The owner replaced rear tires in Dec 2013, but today when I checked both of them, looks like they are worn out and should be replaced immediately!!? The Boxster was about 33K miles when I bought it and I only drove 1500 miles in last 8 months. The date of tire is Aug 2012 so it's not old.

Any idea why is that? Or it's common for a Boxster? (sounds not right...)

[Photo attached]

IMG_20150414_203914.jpg

·
Registered
177 Posts
Wow, you're down to the cords. It could be an alignment issue, but the wear is pretty even across the tread face. What tires are they? Softer compounds will wear more quickly, even if you drive sedately. Of course, if you have a heavy right foot or take the twisty way everywhere, that will take a toll too. Regardless, those tire are no more, they have ceased to be, etc, etc. In fact, those tires are dangerous - if I were you, I wouldn't even drive the car to the tire shop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both tires are Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Tire 265/35ZR19 (94Y), should be common for Boxster. I am going to replace the tire tomorrow! But any idea why it happened? I don't have a heavy foot. Changing rear tires every 5K miles would cost me a lot!

Another thing I just figured out, on the tire service document that the owner gave to me it said the odometer was ~38K (Dec 2013), but it was ~33K when I bought it in Aug 2014...Is it possible to rollback odomoter?

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Looks like BIGfoot has been driving your car. Wear looks pretty even, so I doubt alignment issues. I would take those off the car at home and take them to the tire shop. They r in that bad of shape.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
This is due to burnouts and happy tails... I know that.

Don't ask how. ;)

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
I call BS on 1500 miles on practically, as stated by OP, new tires wearing to the cords like that in normal driving. There are 2 ways I can think this happened:

1) lots of track time
2) OP didn't inspect tires at purchase - just went by some piece of paperwork - verifying tread depth remaining

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Somebody was abusing the tires to the point that they are now dangerous to drive on. It happened either before you got it (but then you didn't recognize it at the point of sale or during the 8 months that you have owned it :crazy:), you did it yourself, or you let someone else drive the car.

If you are going to replace the rears with Michellins, their producton is back logged. Good luck. I am on the waiting list but my tread is still above the wear bar. Your wear bar is....well......worn off. lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys.

Yes, I didn't inspect tires when I purchased it, just had a test drive on street and went through the paperwork. I was too excited to notice the tires might have worn out :( So I am going to replace all of them, the front tires are both installed in 09 and should get replaced as well even they look much better than rear ones. Unfortunately the tire shop said they have to back order, I probably will choose whatever they have in stock.

The dashboard also reminds me it's time for service, I will drive to the Porsche service center where the Boxster was originally purchased to see if I can get the service records. The milage on odometer looks suspicious to me...

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Got a pre-owned Boxster S 2009 in Aug last year. The owner replaced rear tires in Dec 2013, but today when I checked both of them, looks like they are worn out and should be replaced immediately!!?
What made you think that?

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Thanks guys.

Yes, I didn't inspect tires when I purchased it, just had a test drive on street and went through the paperwork. I was too excited to notice the tires might have worn out :( So I am going to replace all of them, the front tires are both installed in 09 and should get replaced as well even they look much better than rear ones. Unfortunately the tire shop said they have to back order, I probably will choose whatever they have in stock.

The dashboard also reminds me it's time for service, I will drive to the Porsche service center where the Boxster was originally purchased to see if I can get the service records. The milage on odometer looks suspicious to me...
Those tires have a LOT of miles on them, or a few miles and a bunch of abuse, e.g. burnouts. Could be track time as well: if so, the fronts would also be showing significant wear (not as much as the rears). A pre-purchase inspection (PPI) would have caught the tire condition, as well as other potential issues that a simple visual once-over by a non-expert wouldn't uncover. I suggest you consider doing a full inspection of the car now to determine what you bought. It'll turn up simple problems that you can easily rectify (such as brakes nearing the end of service life) and potentially stuff you probably want to know about but can't fix (such as evidence of significant accident repairs, or range 3-6 over-revs). If after doing an inspection all you need to do is replace tires, consider yourself fortunate.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Unfortunately the tire shop said they have to back order, I probably will choose whatever they have in stock.
Tyres can be a bit of a lottery without having had prior experience of the brands. My personal choice in order of preference would be:
1) Michelin Pilot Super Sports
2) Michelin Pilot Sport 2
3) Goodyear F1 Eagle Assymetric
4) Bridgestone REO70

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Maybe Chris Harris has been secretly borrowing the car? Or Clarkson??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: Changed 4 tires today in a nearby America's Tire, now I feel much safer :) But the tire pressures (33F/39R) are higher than the factory recommendation (32F/34R), I am going to lower them tomorrow.

I Also scheduled a yearly service next week to see if there is any other issues, hope there is no big surprise...As to the milage, the Porsche service center told me the Boxster was serviced 1 year ago at 31K. So I guess the 38K on tire invoice of Dec 2013 was a typo, it should be 28K. Mystery solved, odometer wasn't rolled back.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts

Almost anything is possible, but a odometer rollback is very unlikely by a dealership. When I was a teenager, odometer rollbacks were common place, but the penalties for rolling back an odometer have become so draconian that it's rarely done, especially by a dealership. Tampering with or knowingly misrepresenting an odometer mileage reading is illegal under federal law, which classifies the crime as a felony, carrying penalties of up to three years in prison and/or a $50,000 fine per violation. There are also state penalties for rolling back an odometer.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I can't shake the feeling this thread was made 13 days late.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts