Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking at this sweet 2008 911 S and my buddy goes "what happened to the seats?" Sure enough he was right (he's has a couple 997 cars)

1440.jpg
A quick search on the googles with the vin brought up the last time the car was for sale was two years ago as a CPO car at a Porsche dealer in Vegas. Pics of the car two years ago show that the car has sport leather seats with deviating stitching. Definitely not the seats that are in the car now.

Anyone have any thoughts on what could have happened? Why would someone switch out the seats with something that looks jacked? Could someone have stolen the originals? Does that happen? Would the previous owner have sold them? (I wouldn't think it would be worth it) Weird.

Also, This is Mexico Blue. Yes? The ad from the porsche dealer said it was Malachite Green, which I think is wrong.

1440.jpg

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
for reference here's a shot from the last time the car was for sale. notice the vertical stitching on the seat bottom and back. Not there on the car now.

Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 10.40.05 PM.png

Oh, and I just noticed the seat bottoms in the back are also incorrect now, but the seat backs in the back appear to be correct? so the rest of the seats front and back were recovered? wtf?

1440.jpg

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yes they could have very easily switched the seats from another car, and they do not look correct. And no that is not Mexico blue or Riviera Blue. The color is ugly to my eyes, but that's a personal choice.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Those are 997 seats but definitely worn. I wonder if they previous owner sold it, the ones with deviated stitching is worth more and some people might pay extra for it. Those worn 997 seats are worthy nothing. He probably swapped them out. He probably traded it in and didn't get much for the car. That color might looks great to him but that is an undesirable color and dealer's will rob you on trade in. If you like everything about this car but the seats, you can spend another $2,500 and get a pair of used ones on rennlist and 6speed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
That's the rouched leather seats. I'm sure some nicer car got the ones from this one because they needed to sell it and the seats probably stopped it. The rouche or whatever are actually stitched to be that way, lazy boy seats. Not sure who would even like them. I turned down 2 997's due to those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
The seats look legit and I think were an upgraded soft leather. That isn't the cheap seats and I think that upgraded leather was removed from the 991 options. Ruche is probably the technical term but I think the were called something else. Just can't remember. In any case, I believe the current leather cost more than the standard leather.

Not Mexico Blue. No idea, sorry.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
weird. I wonder why someone would swap out perfectly good and matching seats for those. To each their own I suppose. I won't be buying the car. I was hoping that it was a mexico blue car with bad pictures, but the others are correct. It is not. Also, after being spoiled with the PDK in my Cayman, I think I'd probably regret going into a 6MT. (I daily drive my car)

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Back in the 996 era, they called those "Supple Leather" seats. Not my cup of tea, but you could just swap out the centers rather than replacing the whole seat. Used replacements are pretty cheap, though. Didn't know Supple Leather was available on 997s.

Reactions: chows4us

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Back in the 996 era, they called those "Supple Leather" seats. Not my cup of tea, but you could just swap out the centers rather than replacing the whole seat. Used replacements are pretty cheap, though. Didn't know Supple Leather was available on 997s.

^^^^^

THATS IT. Supple Leather. Yes, this I know and I know it was a 997 option because I wanted the Supple Leather option. It's an upgrade to the regular leather. This is it.

Good memory!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
huh. so in theory, you could revert it back if one were to buy the original style "inserts"?

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
huh. so in theory, you could revert it back if one were to buy the original style "inserts"?
Yep. Might be cheaper to just replace the entire seat though...haven't ever seen anyone selling inserts other than Alcantara for big $$.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thought I'd weigh in since I spent a month chasing this car around miscellaneous SoCal CarMax locations all of April.

For the people familiar with Southern Californis cities:

The first time I spotted the listing, the car was located at Buena Park. Since I had been borrowing my son's car while he was away at college - but was due home for summer break shortly - it was time to shop for a commuter car. Wife was thinking "economy" car. I was thinking hard-to-find and ultra-rare Paint To Sample 2008 Turquoise Blue Carrera S with only 34,000 miles!

By the time I convince her this was the right answer, the listing disappears from the CarMax site. I sort through various listing looking for a low-ish mileage option knowing I wouldn't likely find another local PTS in my price range within a 4 or 5 week timeframe.

However, after a week of pondering next steps and the possibility of an Audi S4, voila, the car shows back up on CarMax - only this time at Riverside. Checked with the wife whether we should drive out to see the car. But she has a headache and doesn't feel like driving out at night only an hour or so before closing, so we decide to wait until the next morning to take a look.

Next day, no car listing! Apparently somebody bought the car in the 90 minutes from when we saw the Riverside listing until store closing time?

After two close calls and just missing out on the elusive PTS, it's another week of looking for alternatives pondering what could have been... wait... what is this... a CarMax listing in Ontario for a 2008 'Blue' Carrera S with 34,000 miles! Apparently people have been reserving the car online and taking advantage of free local transfers to check out the car. Well, I can play that game too! Since it's an hour before opening time, I fill out the online form to hold the car. I wait anxiously for the local branch to call back to confirm the transfer. Finally get the call... we'd be happy to transfer the car to a location nearer to you - but it could take up to 5 days for the this to happen (5 days to move the car 70 miles???) No matter, we'll let the car come to us.

How do I know the car won't be snatched up by somebody else before I get a chance to look at it? Not to worry, after the transfer is entered into the system the car will "disappear" from the public website - so print a screen shot now and download the Carfax report now in case you want to check out any of that info while you're waiting for the car to be delivered. I trundle off to my adult co-ed soccer league, and check the status of the car online during breaks... still posted, still posted, still posted... finally, off-line and presumably 'locked up' pending transfer!

Since I had previously received an email from the 'local' store thanking me for my interest and letting me know that they would contact me when the car arrived and was ready for inspection, there was nothing more to do but wait (up to 5 days) until they sent the email letting me know it was time to come in. Day 2, nothing. Day 3, nothing. Day 4 - CarMax voicemail, Hooray! Wait. We regret to inform you the car is no longer available? What gives? The car is reserved for ME. The car is being transferred to MY location. An angry phone call later, apparently the Ontario location 'held' onto the car in the hopes of making a sale and didn't actually transfer the car. How is this even possible?

Another week on the couch pondering miscellaneous online listings... Wait... a... CarMax... listing... at... Buena Park (where it all started).. for.. a.. 2008 Blue PTS Porsche Carrera S with 34,000 miles... my head is going to explode

Since its before opening time, I log in online and fill out the familiar form to hold the car. This time, at the current location, not taking any chances with any fake transfer nonsense. We'll come out, in person, this coming Saturday... please hold the car... OK.. no problem.

As most of you know, California is in the midst of a horrific drought. Low resevoirs. Non existent snowpack. Mandatory cutbacks. Except... for... Saturday... when there is a torrential downpour (otherwise called a mild to medium sprinkle elsewhere).

An hour and 15 minute drive turns into two and a half hour fiasco routing through 7 Freeways (instead of the usual 2) dodging uncountable accidents - until we finally arrive at the dealership at 2:55pm. Since our Credit Union closes at 3:00pm, please call NOW to confirm our funds... wait... you can just check our online statement - why didn't you say that when we made the appointment instead of saying you need to call to confirm funds?

No matter, we're here to see the 2008 Porsche Carrera S!

Yes, it's a very unique color isn't it... I'll pull it out front so you can check it out and take it for a test drive... did I mention it's a very unique color?

Full leather Interior with deviated stitching.

Chrono Sport.

15 Spoke Sport Design Wheels.

6 Speed MT.

Clear Bra.

Paint run, right front fender - is this a repair?

Driver side door panel rip repaired with shoe goo?

Curbed left rear wheel.

All 4 tires with only a few thousand miles left.

What's this touch up on the right rear quarter.

Spilled coffee on the deviated Silver seatbelts?

Mismatched and worn seats? Really?

And of course, what was REALLY noticed when the car was first pulled around - the color wasn't blue at all...

I had thought (hoped?) that some of the pictures online we 'off' due to lighting or weird camera color rendering...

Nope. The color was off due to the color being off. Murano Green. Gumby Green.

If pics of the car are taken outside on a sunny day, the reflected light takes on the blue from the sky.

But in the subdued light in the mid-afternoon on the one time it rains in months of drought in SoCal... GUMBY GREEN.

IF the car were as pristine as when 'Volomad' owned it - I would have gone through with a purchase...

IF the car would have been the hoped for Turquoise Blue - I would have gone through with a purchase (and made the car 'right').

BUT, the combination of the unexpected Murano Green color and the less than high standards of the post-Volomad Las Vegas owner meant I passed on owning a PTS Carrera S...

But I do get to welcome to my home a (new to me) 2009 Aqua Blue Metallic Carrera S Cabriolet instead.

PICTURE CREDIT: VOLOMAD
662512d1347211596-murano-green-911-murano11_lite-1.jpg
662511d1347211596-murano-green-911-murano5_lite-1.jpg
662508d1347211596-murano-green-911-murano-in-shade-1.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts