Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this photo online in another member's classified ad, and I don't have ventilated seats or I'd test myself.

Reactions: KL Cayman

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Interesting! I have both options but have never given it any thought. The heated seats are a heating element, and the ventilated seats have nothing to do with the AC and actually is just a fan that sucks the cabin air down into the seat and cools by convection so technically both could be working at the same time. The seat would get warm, but also draw cabin air into the ventilated holes. I do seem to recall the heated seats will not activate if the cabin is above a certain temp to avoid the seats getting too hot.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is interesting that Porsche allows both to function at the same time (unless that is by design, and it's like a 3rd mode? Like heated seats + swamp butt prevention, haha). I know in other vehicles activating one would deactivate the other, so I was surprised to see this.

Reactions: KL Cayman

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yes I agree and to clarify Ive never actually tried it myself, but the image seems to suggest it can be done. I will definitely give it a try out of curiosity the next time I drive my car. I think you may be on to something with the heated seats and simultaneous swamp butt prevention. It could happen!

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
633 Posts
I've tried it. Not as warm as heat by itself.

Reactions: ICNU and KL Cayman

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm pretty sure it shut one or the other off automatically after less than a minute when I tried it in my '14.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, now we know. Thanks for verifying and sharing your experience!

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
633 Posts
I'm pretty sure it shut one or the other off automatically after less than a minute when I tried it in my '14.
Interesting, in my 14 they both stay on.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I remember seeing a Porsche ad or statement or something that noted that there are times when it is beneficial to use both heating and ventilation at the same time (though they didn't list the situations). I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe there are 'biological' reasons for wanting to evacuate and exchange fresh air quickly while keeping your buns toasty? :LOL: If there is an ad or commercial for this, I'd love to see it!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Funny. I found it. Right in the owners manual for my 987.2. See the "Note" under Seat Ventilation.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Funny. I found it. Right in the owners manual for my 987.2. See the "Note" under Seat Ventilation.

View attachment 271800
"Seat ventilation and seat heating can be used at the same time and provide excellent seating comfort when used in the right combination." Is that marketing-speak to paper over product engineering oversight, or a bad translation (almost reads like poor Chinese-English translation). :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Might be different in the 987. Did a little more experimentation and found that ventilation turns off if the seat is above some temperature. That's why I observed it turning off with a delay previously, as the heating outpaced the vent and reached that point. If the seat heat has already been on for a while, ventilation shuts off immediately.

·
Registered
50 Posts
981 manual states:

"Below 59F (15C), the seat ventilation cannot be switched on, in order to prevent excessive cooling."

·
Registered
10 Posts
That would be interior temp I figure, to keep condensation out of the seats. Seat ventilation works fine even with exterior temps below that (as the test in my prior post was.)

·
Registered
738 Posts
I use it all the time - it's great. I find the heated seats can be too warm and make you sweat. The fans eliminate this. It's a great feature!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts