Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the end of a season of many hard races I'm interested in the collected knowledge we have gained re these cars in general and the new block in particular. This new block was/is purported to be the racing block of Porsche's future: So how did it do ??

Jack
Tampa
09 CS

·
Registered
42 Posts
We have learned that the new engine is perfect. No oiling issues, overheating, or bearing failures. Power steering failures are non exsistint since the fluid is cooled thru the engine cooler. No ABS issues whatsoever. We have over 30K track miles on the cars now with several 3 and 4 hour enduros,98 degree race weekends,rain you name it. They have performed without a "hiccup"
Now, what I can't tell you is what we know to make them go FAST.......;)

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
RonB:

Excuse my ignorance but is the power steering system design the same as on the street cars?
...and a follow up Q...did they make a change in the gen II cars, or is this a mod?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Ron. Great news indeed !! Before my 09 purchase, I'd been trolling for any info, any issues re the new block. It is truly amazing how few issues have been "documented". Aside form several reports of fuel pumps and injector issues and the theoretical concern re carbon buildup (after the cayenne carbon pic went viral), there really is not alot of noise re the new block !!

I'd like to second the question re the power steering. Is this a new design or just better cooling of the old unit. Do you have concerns re carbon deposits and if so are you taking precautions or performing additional maintenance ?? Have any blocks been disassembled ??

Thanks again

Jack

·
Registered
42 Posts
We have not had a problem with carbon build up as you can imagine. These cars are run constanly at high RPM not like a Cayenne.

We do run some "secret sauce" in the fuel to keep the high pressure pumps lubed,other than that it's all normal.

The power steering is an all new design;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Please keep in mind that the Interseries cars are STOCK. So the answer is yes, same as the production cars. ;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ron: This lack of issues might be unprecedented in a new race car and race series. I believe it portends great thing for the new block, our cars and your series !!

Jack
Tampa

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Ron: This lack of issues might be unprecedented in a new race car and race series. I believe it portends great thing for the new block, our cars and your series !!

Jack
Tampa
When you think about it, it makes sense. They ironed out the bugs in the Gen I cars that could only be identified after examining the thousands of track miles logged in them. I have no doubt that Porsche uses our experience by reading these forums. It would be nice if they would return the favor and answer questions.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ron: Thanks again.
Is Porsche monitoring your "data" or these cars in any special way. Do you think they will "autopsy" any of these cars or their drivetrains ?? Other that bulletproof reliability and great robustness, were there any surprises ??

Jack

Tampa

·
Registered
569 Posts
RonB:

I've tried both my local dealer and Suncoast to see if they could source an OEM LSD for an '09 car. I was wondering if the interseries guys have access to order the unit as a part? Also if / when the LSD's wear out in the interseries cars, if you will just get them rebuilt by Guard or someone else?

Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
There are not any parts from Porsche available for the factory LSD. We have not had any problems with the gearbox as it is. However you may want to look at the Guard GT units. It is much better than the factory unit.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
So what's the story on racing with a PDK trans? What's the verict from the racing community on 7 speed PDK vs. 6 speed manual?

·
Registered
69 Posts
We have learned that the new engine is perfect. No oiling issues, overheating, or bearing failures. Power steering failures are non exsistint since the fluid is cooled thru the engine cooler. No ABS issues whatsoever. We have over 30K track miles on the cars now with several 3 and 4 hour enduros,98 degree race weekends,rain you name it. They have performed without a "hiccup"
Absolutely brilliant...!

And very encouraging:)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts