Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Hi Jack,

Well here is what we have learned;

As of 12/15/2010, we have delivered 40 cars with about 100,000+ race miles combined...........!!!!!!!

Lee Davis, Ryan Eversley and Keith Carroll just won their class {3rd overall} in the 8 hour NASA race last week at Road Atlanta and never changed a thing during the race except tires.
We have run several 4 hour races,but this was the longest so far for the cars...we were impressed!!!

The engines have been extremely reliable with out any issues at all. We did have a few flywheel failures, so for 2011 we are going to change the rule to allow single mass units. We have not made a choice as to which type we will allow in the rules. Sachs has a new package with a light steel flywheel which might be the way to go.

We have had some axle issues due to heat build-up and the angles we run the cars. We change them out about every 2500 -3k miles just as a precaution

Under heavy use the shift cables tend to get out of adjustment,so as a matter of practice we have been changing them out as well.

The transmissions have been flawless,but they do run hot so it is important to change the fluid frequently. We use "Mobile1 Delvac"
We have switched the diffs to the "Guard" unit with some tinkering of the ramps.

The ABS is very sensitive and we have developed a ECU program that works very well with the "StopTech" brakes and "Performace Friction" pads that have been developed for the Interseries cars. Castrol SRF is a must.

All the other demons that were in the "Gen1" cars are non-existint.

All in all the cars are very low maintenance and have shown themselves to be reliable, fast and fun.

Happy Holidays

Ron
Congrats on the recent NASA enduro victories and thanks for updating us re your croc's maintenance and durability status and issues. This is GREAT news for the entire P-car world.

Thanks again and I hope you don't mind if we seek an update from time to time.

Jack
Tampa

·
Registered
569 Posts
RonB:

Can you comment on how much use and what kind of durability you saw with the factory LSD's? I seem to recall a comment somewhere that they had survived pretty well but for long term racing use, the Guard diff was much more up to task.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
RonB,
Could you explain how the power steering is cooled in the new cars? Is is adapatable to the 987?
Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ok here we go.....

Question #1

We have found that under extreme racing conditions and with the type of tires and suspension we have been using in the "Cayman Interseries" cars we were not able to keep the tires from spinning/slip in the corners. We did experiment with changing/modifing the diff clutch discs. However, by changing to the "Guard" diff the performance has been outstanding without ANY abnormal wear or malfunctions. Matt has a great product.

In my opinion the stock diff is perfect for a street or lightly modified car,but if you are going racing or have a track only car, then you will probably want to change it.

Question #2

The power steering fluid is cooled by the stock oil/water heat exchanger which also cools the engine oil. We have had ZERO issues with this system

·
Registered
17 Posts
Car arcing is as always the exiting event, and no one want to miss it up. I have fount some really good links over here. looking ahead for the good ones.

·
Registered
198 Posts
RonB said:
The ABS is very sensitive and we have developed a ECU program that works very well with the "StopTech" brakes and "Performace Friction" pads that have been developed for the Interseries cars. Castrol SRF is a must.
I have been looking at the Stoptech Trophy front brakes or the Girodisc setup. Can you comment on the issues you encountered with the ABS and the Stoptech front brakes?

Looking forward to series coming out west. You guys are great!

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
When you think about it, it makes sense. They ironed out the bugs in the Gen I cars that could only be identified after examining the thousands of track miles logged in them. I have no doubt that Porsche uses our experience by reading these forums. It would be nice if they would return the favor and answer questions.
Dave,
From what I've been told by someone (who will remain nameless) that has run a GT3 in the LeMans series, it's one way communications. Porsche does not give their feedback on pretty much anything. Your engine breaks you send it back unopened and $60k they send you a new one. Porsche is one of the few car makers that is in racing to make money not just to promote their brand.

So good luck on this website getting information from Porsche, besides didn't they make Ken change the name of the website. :wall:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Ron: It's been awhile

Anything new vis a vis lessons learned from running the interseries that relates to the owning and operating of our crocs; tracked and not tracked ??

As always, thanks

Jack

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
ron, an update on how this year is going would indeed be great. is the reliability still there, or are the older interseries car seeing some new issues?

perhaps even more interesting for us on the west coast: what's keeping the series from coming out west? not enough drivers/cars/interest? too much complexity to manage? or??

PS: got one of your factory diffs for a very fair price from your parts department, and put it into my car recently. :dance: very happy - thanks a bunch!

-AW1

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I know this is a very old topic, but I don't see any newer ones to ask on.

How are the PDK cars comparing to the Manuals on the track?

Are they faster?

Are there any problems with them?

41 - 58 of 58 Posts