Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. I have a 2013 BS which means I got done out of the 40GB built-in carousel (2014+). No biggie, a 64GB thumb drive smaller than a paperclip solves this issue. At least it did for a while. I simply dumped all my music onto it, set it to random play and was happy.

Then I decided I really didn't like the Christmas music coming on in the summer. So I pulled the stick, stuck it in my computer and played the Grinch who deleted Christmas. At the same time I moved all the music my wife and I can agree on into one folder, and moved around a couple of other folders to make things more tidy.

I then plugged the stick back in the car, that's when the wonkiness started.

It would play a song and I would hit advance and there would be a 2-3 second pause prior to the next song starting, sometimes I would have to hit the "next" button again and the next song would start. At this point the display flashes briefly and irrationally goes back to displaying the name of the old song old song. At this point hitting the "next" button does nothing......until it sorts itself out and then, because I've now hit the "next" button several times, the next few songs play briefly and move on while I look for the "prev" switch.

It simply never had issues like this prior to the reorganization of the files. So.... I pulled the stick out of the car, copied all the music back to a disk. Erased the stick (and did a checkdisk just in case) and copied the 60-or-so GB's of music back onto the stick. When I put it in the car, it does a little progress bar as it builds the database (takes about 5 mins on 64GB).

Try the "Next" and "Prev"... works like a charm. No hesitation. Almost instant response.

The moral of the story: DOS directory formats are an old and inefficient standard. Moving around directories and files creates a lot of linked-list garbage in the background. And thumb drives are not that fast, neither is the CPU in the Porsche.

If you do use a USB for your music, stage it on disk first, then do a clean copy to your empty USB drive.

Your fast-forwards will then be as fast as your shifts (assuming you have PDK :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re: Carrying a big USB Stick - Inefficient Next and Prev functions

So.. I have a 2013 BS which means I got done out of the 40GB built-in carousel (2014+). No biggie, a 64GB thumb drive smaller than a paperclip solves this issue. At least it did for a while. I simply dumped all my music onto it, set it to random play and was happy.

Then I decided I really didn't like the Christmas music coming on in the summer. So I pulled the stick, stuck it in my computer and played the Grinch who deleted Christmas. At the same time I moved all the music my wife and I can agree on into one folder, and moved around a couple of other folders to make things more tidy.

It would play a song and I would hit advance and there would be a 2-3 second pause prior to the next song starting, sometimes I would have to hit the "next" button again and the next song would start. At this point the display flashes briefly and irrationally goes back to displaying the name of the old song old song. At this point hitting the "next" button does nothing......until it sorts itself out and then, because I've now hit the "next" button several times, the next few songs play briefly and move on while I look for the "prev" switch.

It simply never had issues like this prior to the reorganization of the files. So.... I pulled the stick out of the car, copied all the music back to a disk. Erased the stick (and did a checkdisk just in case) and copied the 60-or-so GB's of music back onto the stick. When I put it in the car, it does a little progress bar as it builds the database (takes about 5 mins on 64GB).

Try the "Next" and "Prev"... works like a charm. No hesitation. Almost instant response.

The moral of the story: DOS directory formats are an old and inefficient standard. Moving around directories and files creates a lot of linked-list garbage in the background. And thumb drives are not that fast, neither is the CPU in the Porsche.

If you do use a USB for your music, stage it on disk first, then do a clean copy to your empty USB drive.

Your fast-forwards will then be as fast as your shifts (assuming you have PDK :)
Interesting post. Thanks for the info!

I didn't know the 2013 PCM didn't get the 40gig Juke. Is there a post that describes differences like that? I'm looking to get a 2013/2014 BS, with Bose/Nav/PCM, and I assumed there was no difference between the model years.

I've done a few test drives, but I haven't really explored the PCM much. I should probably go do that, and make sure it does whatever I want it to. It's just weird pairing your personal phone with a car's BT, and most of the salespeople there -- understandably -- are more interested in driving the car than futzing with the electronics.

(Is there a post that talks about the model year difference in general?)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

There were a couple of very minor difs between '13 and '14. There's a thread about it. My recollection is that the difs were:

1. The 14 adds the Jukebox as standard
2. Basalt Black color was discontinued
3. rev-matching was added as an option

You should go to a dealer and sit down with the user manual. It's actually pretty thorough.

Don't forget about the car search (Planet-9 Porsche Forum - Planet 9 Porsche Search) (It's busted right now, but should be fixed tomorrow)

This thread is also an interesting read:
http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/74269-things-i-didnt-know-about-my-new-981-boxster-cayman.html

Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
47 Posts

I have CDR with Sound package +, which is supposed to be same as PCM less NAV module.
And mine does not understand even 32 GB sticks, had to split my collection and put into 16 GB only part of it to be able to listen.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Did you format your stick as FAT32?
It's the "Old" format for disks.
My 64GB gb came from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJRS6QY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I cannot remember if I had to format it when I got it (I don't think so)
The only real "issue" with it is that it's so small, it's hard to pull out once you install it (I put a thread loop though it prior to install)

·
Registered
5,485 Posts

OK, Fat32, do you know how many folders are acceptable and what format the images have to be in to be seen on the PCM?

Thanks!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I loaded 52GB, 15,454 files, 869 folders -- type MP3 and WMA

·
Registered
5,485 Posts

I loaded 52GB, 15,454 files, 869 folders -- type MP3 and WMA
Cool, thanks for the update, any images for folders or albums?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Indeed, it has them loaded - although the car does not "do" anything with them (there's no display from any of them).
I have yet to figure out how to create a playlist it will recognize.
Basically, it all just shows as a tree structured directory.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts

Indeed, it has them loaded - although the car does not "do" anything with them (there's no display from any of them).
I have yet to figure out how to create a playlist it will recognize.
Basically, it all just shows as a tree structured directory.
Hmmm, the reason I was asking, (and I could be mistaken) I thought that the album art was displayed if it was in the right place and of the correct format... I will have to search for those posts (if they exist).

·
Registered
5,485 Posts

Well album art does indeed get displayed, although at this point I am not sure what the criteria is... I have some that work and others that do not.

So far I have determined that the PCM will scale the pictures to the same size regardless of original format, but not what triggers the process. I have tried to add art to folders that did not have it before but that didn't work. Next up trying art that works in one folder in a folder for an album that displayed nothing...

UPDATE: simply coping the album art that works in the other two folders did not have them appear in the "other" folders!? It would seem that there is some mechanism for this to work possibly a hidden file? Hmmmmm!

·
Registered
670 Posts

I would get an old iPod and just leave it in your glove box attached. Nobody uses them anymore anyhow!

Reactions: NetMage

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

·
Registered
5,485 Posts

I would get an old iPod and just leave it in your glove box attached. Nobody uses them anymore anyhow!
Sorry, my blood is green, no Apple products will be in my future! ;)

·
Registered
5,485 Posts

I also have this thread running about how to format USB/SD/CF things in a way that it can be read on the maximum variety of devices. Homed on the z4 forum. This mostly applies when the storage unit is bigger than 32 GB in which case all hell breaks loose.

How to format 64 GB USB sticks/SD cards so that the Hifi Professional can read them (bigger than 32 GB) - Z4-forum.com
Actually I should have mentioned that I specifically bought a couple of 64GB USB mini-sticks for music storage, one for my BGTS and one for the wife's Macan, they came formatted FAT32. There has been no trouble with the PCM in either vehicle reading the data, all MP3 encoded songs ply just fine.

I am taking this as a bit of a personal challenge to get working... I loaded four albums, of those 4 only 2 displayed album art, the other two did not, even when I copied the working album art into the folder for the two albums that were not working...

It just astounds me that the information for the correct file format should be so tough to find... This must be an "Apple" conspiracy! :hilarious:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

Actually I should have mentioned that I specifically bought a couple of 64GB USB mini-sticks for music storage, one for my BGTS and one for the wife's Macan, they came formatted FAT32. There has been no trouble with the PCM in either vehicle reading the data, all MP3 encoded songs ply just fine.

I am taking this as a bit of a personal challenge to get working... I loaded four albums, of those 4 only 2 displayed album art, the other two did not, even when I copied the working album art into the folder for the two albums that were not working...

It just astounds me that the information for the correct file format should be so tough to find... This must be an "Apple" conspiracy! :hilarious:
It is all in microsoft's short sighted planning. All these FAT things could have been made to fit today's capacities in the first place, and now you have a thousand different ways to cross randomly picked borders such as the 32 GB border.

FWIW my filesystem of choice for multi-TB external harddrives that I want to connect to a variety of OSes is OSX's own filesystem. I can be read and written with no problems by Mac, Linux and FreeBSD, and there are no limits such as 2 GB file size etc.

It is disappointing to learn that Porsche's software scans the entire filesystem before doing something. In my BMW there is a background scan. After you insert the USB thing you can navigate through the directory tree to find directories or files of your choice right away. If you want playlists they will randomly show up at some later time from a background scan. Unfortunately they seem to have botched the implementation and the cache invalidation doesn't seem to work right when contents change. I will try renaming the label of the filesystem but that would be annoying, too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts