Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm sitting outside Starbucks in the early afternoon, working on a brief (I'm a lawyer) outside on my MacBook Air. Young lawyer comes up to me and says that I was his "inspiration" for buying a Porsche. He remembers I drove a 997 coupe then a cab, and that drove him to buy a Porsche of his own. I told him that my kids wanted a pool and I just couldn't swing the pool and the Porsche payment, so the Porsche had to go. But I told him I was looking to get back into one, probably a CPO 911. He says he bought a Cayman, then motioned to the parking lot, and there was, Red/Beige. He said that was plenty car for him. It did look gorgeous, I have to admit. So I ask is it a Base or an S. He shrugged, and said he didn't know. I tell him I'm happy for him, and congratulate him. He's beaming. We say goodbye and as he pulls up in front of me, he revs it and says goodbye. Beautiful car, far more exotic looking in person than in the pictures. I'd says his is either an '07 or '08, and as he drives away, I see it is indeed a Base Cayman. I'm back to work on my brief, then in the distance I hear the most melodious sound of a car's exhaust note, I turn to my right and see my friend's red Cayman hauling it. What a sound! Wow, what a sound. I want a Porsche. Again!

YoungTurk

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
... I told him that my kids wanted a pool and I just couldn't swing the pool and the Porsche payment...
I'm glad your kids come first, and I'm also kind of glad I'm single, so I don't run into those sorts of decisions.

If you want another Porsche you can make it happen, pre-owned saves a bundle, decent gas mileage, insurance and maintenance aren't too expensive, and you have to drive something don't you, might as well enjoy the drive.

Chuck

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can find a well taken care of 2007 Base for about $30k these days....
I've looked (cars.com, porscheusa.com pre owned, autotrader) but haven't found one like that for anywhere near that price. If I did, I'd definitely buy it.

YoungTurk

·
Registered
490 Posts
Try Craigslist. You need to find a private owner (not dealer) that's looking to sell.

I bought mine for $32.5k with 12k miles in MINT condition from original owner (was on Craigslist for a month at $36k). Keep in mind people aren't buying high-end cars these days. I'm sure even lowball offers (dealers and private) are being considered.

26mpg average, grins everytime I drive it....

The downside,

People assume you're richer than you are.....

·
Registered
105 Posts
I bought mine for $32.5k with 12k miles in MINT condition from original owner (was on Craigslist for a month at $36k). Keep in mind people aren't buying high-end cars these days. I'm sure even lowball offers (dealers and private) are being considered.
I got the same deal (price & mileage) almost a year ago from a local dealer. Now my 2.7 didn't have many options other than the S wheels, but at that price I couldn't turn it down..

·
Registered
549 Posts
thats pretty sad, the guy didn't even know what model he was driving ! :eek:
My thoughts exactly. Who wouldn't know?

That said, the OP is absolutely right about the sound of that exhaust. Nothing like it.:)

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
The stock base Cayman exhaust sounds a lot more aggressive than the stock Cayman S exhaust.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've looked (cars.com, porscheusa.com pre owned, autotrader) but haven't found one like that for anywhere near that price. If I did, I'd definitely buy it.

YoungTurk

I bought one in Oregon for 28.5k after some dickering on things that needed to be address after purchase.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The stock base Cayman exhaust sounds a lot more aggressive than the stock Cayman S exhaust.
Wow, really? I'm in the process of looking for a Cayman S also and I've test driven one twice, but I skipped right over the Cayman so I have no clue what it sounds like. One of first things I want to do to my car is make sure that I get the perfect exhaust in terms of how it sounds, and hearing that I'm getting cheated out of a better sounding system in the supposedly "superior" CS is disappointing...

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
They are nice. You should get one.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Wow, really? I'm in the process of looking for a Cayman S also and I've test driven one twice, but I skipped right over the Cayman so I have no clue what it sounds like. One of first things I want to do to my car is make sure that I get the perfect exhaust in terms of how it sounds, and hearing that I'm getting cheated out of a better sounding system in the supposedly "superior" CS is disappointing...
The new DFI cars are a bit quieter still!!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Try Craigslist. You need to find a private owner (not dealer) that's looking to sell.

26mpg average, grins everytime I drive it....

The downside,

People assume you're richer than you are.....
Last May, I bought my really well equipped CS with 16K miles on it..in pristine condition for $38.600. See below for the options I got. I've added stuff since then, but I'm still under $45K with it and it's quite the machine now, with 2 sets of wheels, 3 sets of tires and all the other stuff shown. If I bought a base Cayman, I'd get the dual round tips for it. These cars just look better with them, aftermarket exhaust or not.

I would not buy from Craingslist. You have probably the least amount of recourse there. I bought from a non Porsche exotic dealer in Savannah, GA. He listed it on eBay. They had 100% feedback, so if they sold me a lemon, I had some leverage with the eBay rating. Also there were about 100 photos of the car and very detailed description written by someone who obviously understood Porsche options etc. The car is great and everything went without a hitch.

As far as looking rich goes, my dad once told me, "It's better to be a rich SOB than a poor SOB." I thought that was pretty crass advice when I was a sensitive high school student, but it's probably true on this planet. You'll never please all the people all the time.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yesterday was a beautiful day in Pennsylvania - up to 52 degF, after all the cold. My wife and I ran errands in our 2.7 and I had the window down. The car sounds just as sweet from the outside, as sitting in the cockpit. Especially when she gets "angry" on the cam.

;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would not buy from Craingslist. You have probably the least amount of recourse there. I bought from a non Porsche exotic dealer in Savannah, GA. He listed it on eBay. They had 100% feedback, so if they sold me a lemon, I had some leverage with the eBay rating.
You can buy from craigslist, lots of good cars on there just get a pre purchased inspection. I found a really nice car on craigslist. What kind of action would you have if the sold you a lemon via ebay, give them a bad rating? That doesn't sound like much consolation to me. I think with any used porsche the key it to buy one in good condition. The only real way to determine that is lots of test drives, research, and a good PPI.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
Yesterday was a beautiful day in Pennsylvania - up to 52 degF, after all the cold. My wife and I ran errands in our 2.7 and I had the window down. The car sounds just as sweet from the outside, as sitting in the cockpit. Especially when she gets "angry" on the cam.

;)
With the temps in the 50's and the car warming up more quickly, plenty of opportunity today to roll the window down and, as I pass through the EZPass barrier on the Dulles Toll Road, gun it from 40 to ?? in 3rd gear.:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
+1 on putting the kids first.

We had a nice Malibu Wakesetter and that was always the focus for good family times on the lake. But, I did tell my kids that the boat sitting in the backyard was my Porsche, and that when it sold, I'd get my car.

We had some great times on that boat, but is sold last year (now that they are in their 20's and less interested in spending time with Dad), and I am one lucky 987 CS owner!

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts