Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S, Tiptronic, Sprint Booster
263 Posts
Daily driver? Longer trips, commuter or back roads? Dedicated track car? Autocross? Combination of street and track? Need to define the usage of your tires a bit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a weekend car, not doing any autocross or competitive driving. But that being said i dont put very many kms on the car so i dont mind having an aggressive tire because i still do some “spirited driving” and would like to have the performance. So i guess im looking for the best performing tire that isnt a track tire.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
There are lots of reviews available on the net. I think that you will find that the majority of forum users will vote for the Pilot Sport 4S. The Sport Cup 2, which they put on the GT4, is a track oriented tire and will give incredible grip, but will wear faster and may be poor in the wet.

Reactions: PorscheGreg

·
Registered
2013 2.7L PDK Boxter
23 Posts
I thought of the cost of replacing the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S that came on my car the other day. Just out of curiousity. There looks to be plenty of tread left on all the tires(6/32") and there's no signs of oddball wear patterns so I believe that I'll get a number of years use from them. I suspect I'll rack up about 4000 miles a year based on my last cars mileage records. TireRack showed around $1400 for a set of the 4S tires and a Michelin All Season 4 that cost $1135 set. My car will not see any competitive use but just around town and occasional freeway use.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I thought of the cost of replacing the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S that came on my car the other day. Just out of curiousity. There looks to be plenty of tread left on all the tires(6/32") and there's no signs of oddball wear patterns so I believe that I'll get a number of years use from them. I suspect I'll rack up about 4000 miles a year based on my last cars mileage records. TireRack showed around $1400 for a set of the 4S tires and a Michelin All Season 4 that cost $1135 set. My car will not see any competitive use but just around town and occasional freeway use.
The direction I'm moving to now.
I've got 12K on Conti Extreme Contact Sport tires and they have done well on the street and limited track duty, but are now 5 years old and are now down to 5/32 in the rears and 7/32 in front. I could probably replace just the rears in a year or two but I'd have different aged tires on different axles which would likely handle differently.
The tires are good to about 40deg.F but I don't push them when temps fall to that level.

I put a set of Mich. A/S 4 tires on a Mustang last year and have been impressed with them--great wet/dry traction, firm sidewall, reasonably quiet during summer driving. I continued to drive them late into early winter--put the blizzaks on at xmas and took them off in mid-march-- and thought they worked very well at freezing temps and in light snow.
Since we live in a climate where the temps can swing widely in the spring and fall--and I would like to drive the car longer in the year--I think the PIlot A/S 4 makes a lot of sense. On a 981 BS, I'd expect to 90%+ of the dry traction capability, nearly as good wet weather performance, retain most of the cars nimble handling, while adding months to the driving season without adding drama.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and non-RS 2010 GT3
1,595 Posts
Never had a/s tires on a Porsche but I’ve had PS2’s 4’s and there great but they don’t last so I tried the Advan 601’s… as good as the PS4’s in the dry, not quite as good in the wet tho

·
Registered
2011 Cayman S, Sport Chrono
85 Posts
My Cayman came with Mich A/S. Used them on the track once. They were awful. But great on the street even for spirited driving. PS 4s are substantially better on the track while being good for street. Of course, the cost is higher and they wear faster. Always a compromise.

·
Registered
2013 2.7L PDK Boxter
23 Posts
where I live it rarely goes below 30F so I could probably stick with a summer tire. Cost was the big thing for me so does anyone have a fav inexpensive summer tire with a 300 or better wear rating? Wet traction and ride quality is a plus.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If I were going to use Michelin, I would go with the Pilot Sport 4S. I am currently using Goodyear Eagle F1 with the N0 (Porsche specific) designation. They are working well for me and as I recall a little less $ than the Michelins.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and non-RS 2010 GT3
1,595 Posts
where I live it rarely goes below 30F so I could probably stick with a summer tire. Cost was the big thing for me so does anyone have a fav inexpensive summer tire with a 300 or better wear rating? Wet traction and ride quality is a plus.
If you want a great tire V-rated that has great traction, low road noise, great in the rain, company is owned by Continental, look at the General G-max R’s… I have them on my c-class, fantastic value

·
Registered
2013 Boxster S - PDK, Sport Chrono, PASM, PTV - used for autocross and track days
41 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Amazing in the wet and still very good in the dry. I’ve autocrossed on mine and done a few track days and they are holding up great!

In my opinion, the people that say the don’t wear well are confusing the 4S with the dry weather only Pilot Sport tire. The 4S is the one to get unless you want to sacrifice some wear, for additional dry weather grip.

I’m addition, I use the new Falken Azenis 660 dry weather tires for autocross. Unbelievable grip and are wearing like iron. But they don’t have great road manners for daily driving. Rough ride, noisy, etc.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
HottNikkels,
Its a weekend car, not doing any autocross or competitive driving. But that being said i dont put very many kms on the car so i dont mind having an aggressive tire because i still do some “spirited driving” and would like to have the performance. So i guess im looking for the best performing tire that isnt a track tire.

What type of roads do you normally use. Chip seal or rolled black top? This makes a difference as Bridgestone is now making an updated RE71RS tire now, which is an Extreme Performance Summer tire. I used the older model for autocross and a few DE's, but they have plenty of tread left, so I left them on their wheel set for my daily use. I really like these tires as they have the stiffest side wall of any tire I have used. This means you have very quick turn in, and they set well in long turns. That means you can actually have controlled drifts. What you do not want is a snap oversteer and the rear end get way out of line. These tires give you the necessary feed back before this happens. So, softer rubber, but stiff sidewalls.
They are excellent in the dry and excellent in the wet as well. Turn in is excellent and braking is also excellent. They do have some road noise. I would rate these above the Michelin Cup tires do to turn in and their grip in high g cornering. You can run these tires with lower pressures if you want softer spring rebound. Most use 30 to 32 PSI to start, although in autocross first run can be is 26 psi building to 28-30 depending on the track surface for the rest of runs. These tires can last for up to 5 years without cracking. They are hard to beat especially if you are only using them 4k a year. Running old stiff sidewall tires after 5 years is the wrong way to enjoy life so use them up.
You can see the review of these tires on The TireRack using a Subaru BRZ car. They are compared to Advan A052 in a four way test. Here is the TireRack 2022 summery; I am going to buy these RE71RS tires for the street this fall to replace my old RE71R's as they are finally almost to their wear bars, hopefully they will have my size in stock.

"Extreme Performance Summer test set. In addition to the known category leaders, the two new entries further add to the compelling options for enthusiast drivers. As we've seen in previous tests, the Yokohama ADVAN A052 leads the way with the highest subjective score from our drivers, in addition to the fastest average lap in the dry. The test-leading dry laps, plus impressive, close-second-place wet traction demonstrates the ADVAN A052 excels in on-track metrics. When you add in its highest combined rating in the Road Ride portion of our testing, it results in an overall package that's very difficult to beat. Bridgestone's new Potenza RE-71RS is just a breath behind the Yokohama in our combined scoring. Its remarkable capabilities in the wet reset the category benchmark for traction, and it is also acceptably refined on the road. Dry lateral traction that ties for best in the test is a high point, as is the overall praise from our team. While purely objectively",

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had the pilot sports twice 4S and 2S super sticky don't last 10k on the rears if lucky .
Contentials extreme where no good fail....those tires had speeds above 105 bounce the car all over the place like lose control bounce.
Bridgestone Potenza Sport are great last long good grip in the rain and regular grip great also.
I did also love the Bridgestone RE050A lasted longer then the pilot sports felt great.
Bridgestone is where it's at feel free to ask questions

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are lots of reviews available on the net. I think that you will find that the majority of forum users will vote for the Pilot Sport 4S. The Sport Cup 2, which they put on the GT4, is a track oriented tire and will give incredible grip, but will wear faster and may be poor in the wet.
The new Cup2 Rs are even better, but not for the use planned here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts