Votes: 88 48.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.7%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of all the reasons you bought a Cayman (or other Porsche), which is most important? Explain.

See poll above.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
The first three for me. It is also "The Realization of a Life Long Dream."

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was looking specifically for a roadster. I did research on the pros and cons of all that were on the market. I kept coming back to the Boxster S. Nothing really came close. The performance was the primary factor with appearance bringing up a close second.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Been wanting one my whole life.

Porsche has always been the car company that combined performance, a unique/sporty look, semi-affordable, some what luxurious, in a car still manages to be reasonably reliable like other lesser mass production cars.

There are several other cars I love as much or more but there are trade offs. Porsche has the balance that has appealed to me my whole life.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Not splitting hairs, but the thread title and poll are two different things. Many rewarding aspects to owning 'most any two door Porsche (in the poll), but the reason I bought the Cayman were the two years of rave (mostly magazine) reviews about the handling. I took a 300 mile train trip to test drive my Ebay Cayman. It did not dissappoint, but took a little driving to really appreciate how finely balanced it is. Obviously more powerful and balanced than either the 356A or SWB 911S I drove for years (I'm 63), but I can feel the genes of both. They were great drives and this is superb! Not the most powerful, not the fastest, but ranks among the best.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was attracted to the appearance when they first came out in '06. All the reviews of the performance/handling only stoked the fire. I guess I'm a "multiple".

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was attracted to the appearance when they first came out in '06. All the reviews of the performance/handling only stoked the fire. I guess I'm a "multiple".

Ditto here. I have wanted a Porsche my whole life, always assuming that I would eventually get one of the 911 variants. But when I first sat in a Cayman S at an auto show in 2007 - I immediately fell in love with the design. I am in the process of ordering a Cayman S for delivery this summer. I voted "multiple".

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Of all the reasons you bought a Cayman (or other Porsche), which is most important? Explain.

See poll above.
I bought mine for the following reasons:

1. Drove a Boxster once and liked it.

2. Had a 911 once. Didn't like it but like many things about it.

3. Wanted a new track car.

4. Saw a Cayman on the track with a trailer ball sticking out the back as it was passing some pretty wicked iron. It spoke to me.

5. Found out that used ones were affordable.

6. Found this website.

7. Found the right car at the right price.

8. Still hadn't driven one. Flew one thousand miles, handed the money over and drove mine off the showroom floor.

9. Now that I have it, I'm finding out they are way more fun to drive on the street than I thought they'd be.

10. Found out my wife really likes riding in it with me. :kiss:

11. Having a hard time prepping it for track because I love it so much the way it is. Bought harnesses today. I don't think race seats are going to be mom-worthy and I want to tour with this car.

12. Same problem with suspension changes and exhaust changes.

13. Found out it gets 26 mpg on trips and 23 or so around town. :cheers:

14. It's a Porsche, so you can drive it like a real car.

OMG, I love this thing!!! :helpme:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Of the poll items the NON issues for me were:
1. Gas Mileage
2. Track Performance
3. Dealer Service

I was primarily interested in performance and driving fun and yeah, image was factored in there also. Best auto decision I have ever made.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Performance, appearance, image, luxury and comfort are all there somewhere in the equation. But alone they aren't enough, not for me. Like Jeremy Clarkson once said, buying a car is an emotional rather than rational decision.

That's why I'd choose a Porsche over any other car (yes, including a Veyron, unless I can take the Veyron and trade her in :D). It was my childhood dream!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I like the fact that it is a driver's car but without the nuveau riche tackiness of a Ferrari or Lamborghini. Pull up in a Porsche and they might think mid-life crisis but they won't think drug dealer or rapper.

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
I know the most rewarding thing about owning my Porsche is that I get to enjoy it almost every day.

Looking back I really don't know what put me over the edge in ordering my cayman...I knew I was in the market for a new car since my 300M was closing in on 10 years. I went out to test drive a bunch of different things, from a CLS550, to a XK, and even a Cayenne. I was hell bent on getting something to haul some extra people in, though the XK was a little tight to say the least. When I arrived at the Porsche dealership to test drive their version of a SUV, I got a quick climpse of the Cayman and the price, then I remembered how much fun driving my friend's 911 was so I asked to take a test drive. Believe it or not I was still undecided. Then the saleman asked a few all important questions

Why do you like the Cayenne?
I like the ablility to take people with me, and the all wheel drive.
What kind of car does your wife drive?
A Jeep
That settles it then, you're getting a Cayman.

And you know....he was right....no regrets...just smiles a mile wide.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
1.) Mildly interested in the CS from the press reports and photos.
2.) Saw a white CS in the parking lot near home. Stunned at the beauty.
3.) The next weekend rented a CS from a rental company. Marveled at the performance.
4.) Ordered one the next Friday.
5.) Picked it up six months later, my first Porsche !!!!!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Life long dream. Build a Tamiya 1/12th model of a 935 in 1978, always loved Porsches.
In 1999 the dream became a reality!

·
Built for speed AND comfort.
172 Posts
For me, I've wanted a Porsche ever since I walked back and forth to school as a young kid, past a neighbor's white 911 (I'm guessing an early-70s Carrera). For some reason that car seemed positively magical to me, like no other car, the product of German scientists and wizards. Years later, when my dad had a windfall in the stock market, the only thing my brothers and I thought was, "Dude, dad could buy a Porsche!" (He did not. He still rode his bike to work every day.) I had Porsche posters and Hot Wheels. I was always mesmerized by Porsche; never Ferrari or other supercars.

I bought my '05 Boxster S while looking for a convertible weekend-fun car and I have loved driving it, owning it, and just looking at it. Seeing that Porsche crest on my steering wheel when I slip into the driver's seat gives me goosebumps still. I look forward to each trip in it, whether to the grocery store, the track, or to visit family cross-country.

As a kid, I was right after all. It is magical.

·
Registered
519 Posts
For me it was always about Porsches more than any other high performance car. The look, the German engineering, the racing heritage. I had 356 brochures while I was in high school (still have them). Like many people my age, my first car was a VW, so the 356 was a natural progression. When I began working, I drove Corvettes because they were great bang for the buck and because I simply couldn't afford a new Porsche. Porsches are a good fit for me because they age well (kept my last one for almost twenty years), and that tends to soften the depreciation curve a bit. One drive in the CS and I knew it would be a keeper.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The People.

I drove my 1st Porsche, a brand new '73 911S, that the salesman let my college roommate and I take out on a test drive. Since then I've owned 4 911s, 11 914s (one a racecar that the others feed) and now the Cayman.

I joined PCA in 1983 and have met a wide assortment of "characters" through the club and websites like this one. It's all about the people you met and get to know through your association with the marque. I have even met some Ferrari guys that were actual nice people. ;>)

·
Registered
224 Posts
1st, 2nd, (tire chirp), 3rd (things are getting blurry), 4th, (wind noise), 5th...6th (front end still feels good)... AHAHAHAHH#$%^&*()!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts