Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a few big projects right now that include replacing the clutch, RMS and IMS flange seal.

I am seeing a lot of corrosion on parts and want to fix/replace what I can.

See photos.

Does one use a brush brush on aluminum and steel to safely clean corrosion off?

I want to replace the rusted bolts but am unsure what to purchase. Any recommendations?

flange.JPG IMG_0150.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
I am working on a few big projects right now that include replacing the clutch, RMS and IMS flange seal.

I am seeing a lot of corrosion on parts and want to fix/replace what I can.

See photos.

Does one use a brush brush on aluminum and steel to safely clean corrosion off?

A wire brush (SS or brass wire) for cleaning for non sealing surfaces is appropriate for coarse corrosion removal. But appropriate (mild) chemical cleaning and then primer coating would IMO provide most lasting protection. If salt, etc being the cause of original corrosion is not neutralized, further damage will continue with time. Suggest a google for info on just how to so treat such items your noted once brushed clean. Masking of any sealing surfaces is important for sure.

I want to replace the rusted bolts but am unsure what to purchase. Any recommendations?

View attachment 58525 View attachment 58526
Good luck.

:cheers:

·
Registered
504 Posts
On a machined, precision tolerance part such as that flange I would use #0000 steel wool with some WD-40, not a wire brush. As far as the bolts go, I would pull one out and take it to the hardware store to look for a replacement. Grade 8 hardware is generally the best however when you put a steel bolt in an aluminum hole, it will eventually corrode no matter what (google "galvanic corrosion"). Remove and replace one bolt at a time and try to find out the torque spec first. Honestly though, If you are just replacing hardware because of minor surface corrosion it's almost better to just leave it alone. If you snap a bolt or strip out one of the heads then things will get complicated quickly. Not to mention that you will have to chase every hole with a cleaning tap if you want your torque to end up correct. Just hit them with a wire brush to brighten things up if it really bothers you.

- Patrick

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip on using the steel wool. Will PB Blaster work in place of WD40?

I pulled one bolt out to get some specs. See photo. Some of the heads/socket holes are getting pretty bad so while the trans is out they are getting replaced.

transmission_bolt_01.JPG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts