Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This car is completely stock, low miles, so barely driven.... it has this monstrosity on top of the shifter and I don’t know what it is. I’ve searched far and wide for “shifter cap” and can’t find a thing.
Hoping someone has some insight.
I took a heat gun to it to see if it would loosen and pull off, but it got too hot to really get a good pull or twist on it.
I want it off and then make the determination if the knob needs to be replaced. I can’t see it being that worn as the alacantara around it is fine.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Yeah that is pretty ugly. Have you tried to lever it off using a plastic wedge-type tool? It might be bonded to the top of, or has replaced, the original cap with the engraved shift pattern.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have some interior trim tools. I’ll definitely give it a try.

I’m more curious with what the hell it is exactly. I’ve looked everywhere and cannot find anything like it in the aftermarket. It’s just and odd piece.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was able to pop it off by slightly prying around the outside. Of course it’s missing the shift pattern cap so now there is a hole.

Any ideas where I can source a new shift cap? I’d hate to have to buy a new shift knob from suncoast though I’m not completely against it as the make shift cap damaged the knob a little.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sucked it up and ordered a replacement shift knob today. Now it will be new and I don’t have to look at the abomination sitting on top any longer.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Sucked it up and ordered a replacement shift knob today. Now it will be new and I don’t have to look at the abomination sitting on top any longer.
Smart move. That was pretty hideous. I'm always curious as to what the h_ll they were thinking when people do something so ugly and strange. I mean, really? What the h_ll was going through their brain?:cheers:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Glad you were able to remove it. Not my cup of tea either. Reminds me of the time a friend of mine in high school got his parents to buy him a brand new MGB. I thought that was the coolest car I had ever driven. He put a Michelob beer tap handle on the shift stick in place of the standard item. I still (obviously) cannot get that abomination out of my head 44 years later.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
In profile, it looks like Sesame Street's Grover wearing a yarmulke.

Reactions: OttawaSteve

·
Registered
279 Posts
Congratulations! Probably expensive but I believe well worth the money.
On another topic - I just noticed your center console from the pics above. Is it painted or it came like that from Porsche? Just curious - seems shiny, or maybe just the light. The reason for the question is that my center console will needs refinishing soon and I am looking for options.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congratulations! Probably expensive but I believe well worth the money.
On another topic - I just noticed your center console from the pics above. Is it painted or it came like that from Porsche? Just curious - seems shiny, or maybe just the light. The reason for the question is that my center console will needs refinishing soon and I am looking for options.
Thanks! It was a lot easier to install then first thought too, looks so much better....

As for the center console, it came that way and is factory, black gloss and goes all the way to the rear where most Caymans are black plastic and silver. 987 Design Edition 1’s and Cayman S Sports came with this and it would have been an option on any other car. I love it and really think it takes the interior up a notch.

Suncoast has it but it’s quite an expensive upgrade.
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/987CPCO.html

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Should have called a mohel to perform a bris on that shift knob!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.