Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The white circle next to the flash spot. It is located on the driver's side window on the outside. It is located about 1-2 inches from the top and about 6 inches from the back edge and is about 1/4 inch in diameter. It easily rubs off, but it seems to appear every now and then since I've had the car (2012 CS). Can't seem to figure out where it comes from. Is it from when I open the window? It's been driving me crazy for years.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I haven't ever noticed the spot on our 2012 CS, but it shows up regularly in the same place as yours on our 2011 911. With all the other grease smears that show up on the windows of both cars, especially in the couple of days after a wash, it doesn't bother me much.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have this on my 2012 CS, too. I always assumed it was a mark left by some kind of rubber device inside the door to stop the window rattling when it is down. That's a pure guess, though.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Most car makers use robots to place window glass. The robot arms hold the glass with suction cups. Sometimes those suction cup imprints show up on the glass. I see those suction cup marks on the back window of my wife's Mercedes ML. I've cleaned those windows many, many times and the cup marks still show up under the right conditions. So it could be something like that.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most car makers use robots to place window glass. The robot arms hold the glass with suction cups. Sometimes those suction cup imprints show up on the glass. I see those suction cup marks on the back window of my wife's Mercedes ML. I've cleaned those windows many, many times and the cup marks still show up under the right conditions. So it could be something like that.
I don't think it's a suction cup mark, as this is a rather small mark - about the size of a shirt button. I initially thought it had something to do with the way I close my door using my left arm, but it's not.
I have to go with something that may be holding the glass inside the door. I never noticed this on the passenger side though. Although that window is rarely put down.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Definitely coming from inside the door when the window is lowered. I also suspect its a type of cushion to keep the window from moving/rattling when it's down. I've experimented and if I don't put my window down, it doesn't appear. When I do.....like magic. There it is. If it stops rattles, I'm OK with it.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
I have seen the same 987 and 981. I agree, it seems like the imprint from a pad that keeps the window from rattling when down.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. After reading the above, I agree. It's just that over the years, I've never been able to correlate it with any particular thing. I guess I'll just try to keep track next time.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I don't think it's a suction cup mark, as this is a rather small mark - about the size of a shirt button. I initially thought it had something to do with the way I close my door using my left arm, but it's not.
I have to go with something that may be holding the glass inside the door. I never noticed this on the passenger side though. Although that window is rarely put down.
The suction cup marks that I see on my cars are bigger than a silver dollar so that mark is probably something else. I like the cushion explanation.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Have the exact same issue... it's something inside the door that holds the window. The mark is some grease from it... only solution is to rip the door apart and clean the thing off. Or, just clean your window from time to time

·
Registered
566 Posts
Got it on my CGTS too. Wipe it off and it comes right back. Looks more like a thumb print on mine, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Alien crop circles

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I sometimes get crop circles and the occasional wave pattern on my windows. most irritating esp. when it rains.

Improved since I cleaned the windows and door rubbers but sometimes those darn aliens that hide in the door come back down and draw them again! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts