Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my CS a couple months ago and this is my first Porsche. I owned a lot of sports cars in my lifetime but I never got more sneers, shaking of heads in disapproval and today I discovered someone gave me their idea of a Christmas present with a screw in the sidewall. I know the economy is tough but why do some people have to things like this? Does driving a Porsche draw more negative reactions than other sport cars?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I bought my CS a couple months ago and this is my first Porsche. I owned a lot of sports cars in my lifetime but I never got more sneers, shaking of heads in disapproval and today I discovered someone gave me their idea of a Christmas present with a screw in the sidewall. I know the economy is tough but why do some people have to things like this? Does driving a Porsche draw more negative reactions than other sport cars?
Out of curiosity, where you located?

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Must be specific to your location. I traded in my 06 CS for my current 09 back in August and haven't had a single problem. In fact, I get 911 drivers giving me thumbs up on the road.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Well, according to a lot of the comments posted under the "10 most beautiful cars of the decade" (not by members here, of course -- see the post in this forum for the article/comments), the Cayman is no big deal, old hat, not beautiful, blah blah. That is, of course, until you drive up in one. Then it inspires fits of jealousy.

Couldn't resist :) Anyway, yes, people get their noses out of joint easily when it comes to nice cars...thinking you have somehow become a snob when, in reality they are just looking for an easy excuse for their jealousy. That said, I've been lucky with the CS. The C6 I had was a different story. Lots of people seem to think they are "entitled" to a 'Vette and get pretty POed when someone, especially a young someone, drives up in one.

'fraid it's nothing new...the economy may magnify it, but IMO, people should be glad and hopeful when they see that people can afford things.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Out of curiosity, where you located?
That was going to be my question.
I live in the land of Ferraris, Aston, Bently, etc. Porsches don't get a second look.
It's really too bad people have to act with such jealousy and vengeance.
Yes, the economy is bad.
That's no excuse for outright vandalism and shaking of heads in disapproval, etc.
People have no idea how hard you may have had to work to purchase the car.
Sorry to hear it happened to you. You should be able to enjoy your car without the fear of someone taking out their frustrations on you.
Try and look past it and move on. It's the only thing you can do.

·
Registered
173 Posts
All of the reactions from my friends have been nothing but positive and congratulatory.

I am fairly oblivious as far as reactions from strangers in other cars are concerned.

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Some new Porsche owners tend to over play their hand by looking around to see who might be admiring them, parking in two spaces, driving more aggressively than usual, making look at me eye contact with other drivers and so on. Make absolutely sure that as a new owner there is no behavior that invites negative reaction. After 44 years of Porsche ownership and observation of my fellow Porsche owners I have seen some awful behavior by new owners impressed with themselves. Not saying that is the case here but holding a mirror up is always a good thing for new owners to do. Be pleased for yourself but not at the expense of others.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I haven't had anything like this happen to me or the car at all. As a matter of fact, I would say it has been just the opposite here.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Stay incognito whenever possible, I find I have people tail gate me so I take it easy until I come to a few corners ;)...anyhow there is no excuse for negative emotion towards Porsche owners or anyone at that matter.
This displays a lack of self respect & dissatisfaction with their own life.

There is a million reasons why people can afford expensive items, I mean if any of those people realized the amount of work hours, sacrifices & taxes one has to endure to afford these items they may just change their attitude.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I live in Portland Oregon where the recession has hit pretty hard. Porsches are a rare thing around here especially compared to California and elsewhere. I am 52 and believe me I try to keep a low profile. I don't try to stand out by racing to the next light or things like that. I do not make eye contact with the car next to me. My wife was with me the other night when she asked me why the car in the Honda next to me was laughing and shaking his head. I've owned a Corvette a while ago and a BMW Z4 recently and I never remember this amount negativity or jealousy.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I live in Portland Oregon where the recession has hit pretty hard. Porsches are a rare thing around here especially compared to California and elsewhere. I am 52 and believe me I try to keep a low profile. I don't try to stand out by racing to the next light or things like that. I do not make eye contact with the car next to me. My wife was with me the other night when she asked me why the car in the Honda next to me was laughing and shaking his head. I've owned a Corvette a while ago and a BMW Z4 recently and I never remember this amount negativity or jealousy.
Huh... I live in the Portland area too... more specific Bethany area (North of HWY 26 in Beaverton) When I had my Cayman, I never noticed any different behavior... A few people would take photos, because like you say, there is very few Porsche's here. There are few at my work though. Where in Portland are you located and where has this all occurred? That could have to do with it too.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
if some one went to the trouble of putting a screw in your tire its personal

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
An accidental screw in the lower bottom of the sidewall on these low profile tires is neither impossible nor improbable but higher up would be personal as extanker says.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Are you certain it was intentional?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Maybe you drove too close to Tonya Harding's trailer park?

Seriously, there are people our there that just have to destroy or damage anything that is nice or that is something they can't or don't wish to afford. It sounds like you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. As Santa Fe noted, keep a low profile and don't look at other drivers and I'm sure your luck will change. I've had Porsches for over 40 years and usually just get compliments. However, there is often alot of aggressive driving around the area that my Porsche is occupying. I've had anything from ricers with fart cans to Ford Taurus with an old guy driving!:crazy:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
NavanoD-I live in Forest Heights so just a couple miles from you in a good neighborhood. I don't think it happened at my house though. It would be brazen of someone to twist a screw into a tire in front of ones house where there are many houses nearby. I keep my car garaged at night. It probably happened at a store parking lot. But I don't know for sure. I guess it doesn't take long to twist a screw into a tire.

SantaFe-The location of the screw is suspicious. It is about middle of the sidewall of the tire at a steep angle.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Does this really bother you that much? If so, maybe another car is what you need...

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does this really bother you that much? If so, maybe another car is what you need...
I guess having someone vandalize my car by shoving a screw into my tire which will cost me $250 does bother me. Would it bother you? I think it would too.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I guess having someone vandalize my car by shoving a screw into my tire which will cost me $250 does bother me. Would it bother you? I think it would too.
That can happen to any car. You could sell your Cayman, pick something up, and someone might key your new car. Then what? There are always unknowns out there...just try to minimize them without sacrificing too much on your end.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts