Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

What is with people this holiday season?

6K views 64 replies 42 participants last post by  ApexL8 
#1 ·
I bought my CS a couple months ago and this is my first Porsche. I owned a lot of sports cars in my lifetime but I never got more sneers, shaking of heads in disapproval and today I discovered someone gave me their idea of a Christmas present with a screw in the sidewall. I know the economy is tough but why do some people have to things like this? Does driving a Porsche draw more negative reactions than other sport cars?

#5 ·
That was going to be my question.
I live in the land of Ferraris, Aston, Bently, etc. Porsches don't get a second look.
It's really too bad people have to act with such jealousy and vengeance.
Yes, the economy is bad.
That's no excuse for outright vandalism and shaking of heads in disapproval, etc.
People have no idea how hard you may have had to work to purchase the car.
Sorry to hear it happened to you. You should be able to enjoy your car without the fear of someone taking out their frustrations on you.
Try and look past it and move on. It's the only thing you can do.

#3 ·
Must be specific to your location. I traded in my 06 CS for my current 09 back in August and haven't had a single problem. In fact, I get 911 drivers giving me thumbs up on the road.

#4 ·
Well, according to a lot of the comments posted under the "10 most beautiful cars of the decade" (not by members here, of course -- see the post in this forum for the article/comments), the Cayman is no big deal, old hat, not beautiful, blah blah. That is, of course, until you drive up in one. Then it inspires fits of jealousy.

Couldn't resist :) Anyway, yes, people get their noses out of joint easily when it comes to nice cars...thinking you have somehow become a snob when, in reality they are just looking for an easy excuse for their jealousy. That said, I've been lucky with the CS. The C6 I had was a different story. Lots of people seem to think they are "entitled" to a 'Vette and get pretty POed when someone, especially a young someone, drives up in one.

'fraid it's nothing new...the economy may magnify it, but IMO, people should be glad and hopeful when they see that people can afford things.

#7 ·
Some new Porsche owners tend to over play their hand by looking around to see who might be admiring them, parking in two spaces, driving more aggressively than usual, making look at me eye contact with other drivers and so on. Make absolutely sure that as a new owner there is no behavior that invites negative reaction. After 44 years of Porsche ownership and observation of my fellow Porsche owners I have seen some awful behavior by new owners impressed with themselves. Not saying that is the case here but holding a mirror up is always a good thing for new owners to do. Be pleased for yourself but not at the expense of others.

#8 ·
I haven't had anything like this happen to me or the car at all. As a matter of fact, I would say it has been just the opposite here.

#9 ·
Stay incognito whenever possible, I find I have people tail gate me so I take it easy until I come to a few corners ;)...anyhow there is no excuse for negative emotion towards Porsche owners or anyone at that matter.
This displays a lack of self respect & dissatisfaction with their own life.

There is a million reasons why people can afford expensive items, I mean if any of those people realized the amount of work hours, sacrifices & taxes one has to endure to afford these items they may just change their attitude.

#10 ·
I live in Portland Oregon where the recession has hit pretty hard. Porsches are a rare thing around here especially compared to California and elsewhere. I am 52 and believe me I try to keep a low profile. I don't try to stand out by racing to the next light or things like that. I do not make eye contact with the car next to me. My wife was with me the other night when she asked me why the car in the Honda next to me was laughing and shaking his head. I've owned a Corvette a while ago and a BMW Z4 recently and I never remember this amount negativity or jealousy.

#12 ·
Huh... I live in the Portland area too... more specific Bethany area (North of HWY 26 in Beaverton) When I had my Cayman, I never noticed any different behavior... A few people would take photos, because like you say, there is very few Porsche's here. There are few at my work though. Where in Portland are you located and where has this all occurred? That could have to do with it too.

#15 ·
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Are you certain it was intentional?

#16 ·
Maybe you drove too close to Tonya Harding's trailer park?

Seriously, there are people our there that just have to destroy or damage anything that is nice or that is something they can't or don't wish to afford. It sounds like you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. As Santa Fe noted, keep a low profile and don't look at other drivers and I'm sure your luck will change. I've had Porsches for over 40 years and usually just get compliments. However, there is often alot of aggressive driving around the area that my Porsche is occupying. I've had anything from ricers with fart cans to Ford Taurus with an old guy driving!:crazy:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

#17 ·
NavanoD-I live in Forest Heights so just a couple miles from you in a good neighborhood. I don't think it happened at my house though. It would be brazen of someone to twist a screw into a tire in front of ones house where there are many houses nearby. I keep my car garaged at night. It probably happened at a store parking lot. But I don't know for sure. I guess it doesn't take long to twist a screw into a tire.

SantaFe-The location of the screw is suspicious. It is about middle of the sidewall of the tire at a steep angle.

#23 ·
NavanoD-I live in Forest Heights so just a couple miles from you in a good neighborhood. I don't think it happened at my house though. It would be brazen of someone to twist a screw into a tire in front of ones house where there are many houses nearby. I keep my car garaged at night. It probably happened at a store parking lot. But I don't know for sure. I guess it doesn't take long to twist a screw into a tire.
WOW:eek:
I bet it was when you were parked somewhere... as you mentioned I highly doubt anyone would do that in your neighborhood.

Here's to better luck for you and your Cayman in the New Year!:cheers:

When I get my Spyder, we should meet for a drive or something:drivingskid:

#19 ·
I guess having someone vandalize my car by shoving a screw into my tire which will cost me $250 does bother me. Would it bother you? I think it would too.

#26 ·
Not quite a year into Cayman ownership and I have received nothing but positive comments/feedback, or I just get ignored.

Pure speculation on my part, but I don't think these negative reactions people are getting are from jealousy per se, but from some sort of righteous indignation. If you own a Porsche you must be a prick, you are not a good person, therefore I am justified in giving you negative feedback so that you may see the error of your ways. In some sort of convoluted logic I am actually doing you a favor by attempting to help you become a better member of society.

If a stranger compliments my car, I halfway get defensive, I tell them I bought it used, and it didn't cost that much, and I average 24+ mpg, so it really isn't that wasteful. This isn't my first Porsche, etc. I'm a sports car lover, I use it at the track, it isn't just for posing, or impressing anyone.

I'm not quite sure why I feel I have to defend and justify my ownership, but I do it reflexively anyway.

People have preconceived notions about sports cars, they are expensive (and you could have used that money better, to feed the poor or whatever), and they are wasteful (you are burning way more than your share of gas, and destroying the planet). People use their negative preconceptions and turn them back on the car owner whether they are warranted or not.

Merry Christmas,
Chuck

#27 · (Edited)
The only problems I've had in some six years of Porsche ownership have been two-fold:

1) Kids who want to "race." I just let them go, as owning a Porsche means you don't have to participate in stupid stoplight contests.

2) People who think it's funny to make a Porsche "have to wait." I've seen this numerous times - people roar around me at 20+ MPH over the speed I'm going, change lanes in front of me, then slow down to about 10 MPH below the speed I'm going because they think it's "funny." One driver actually slowed all the way down to 25 MPH on a freeway before I could find a gap to pass him, then flipped me off when I did pass and got behind me and flashed his high beams a bunch of times.

Some people are just idiots and you're best off just avoiding them.

As far as parking most people are pretty good unless you do something obnoxious like take up two parking spaces or draw attention to yourself by parking way at the back of the lot.

Oh, and using a car cover at a mall or other major lot is just a flashing invitation for mischief.

By far my biggest worry when driving my Porsche is that if I have to emergency brake, there's no way a vehicle behind me will have the same braking ability unless it's another Porsche, so if an animal or something runs out into the road and I can't swerve, I'll either need to hit it or be rear-ended. :(

Note the media helps in the attitude of others here; showing a character driving a Porsche has become shorthand in movies and TV for "this character is an arrogant asshole."

Pay attention to it sometime and it becomes glaring; the last time I saw a Porsche in a film driven by a sympathetic character it was the 911 driven by Anne Archer as Cathy Ryan (Jack Ryan's wife) in 1992's Patriot Games.

#29 ·
The only issue I've had was a person who slammed his door into mine (causing paint damage) at the hospital when my wife was giving birth. I'm normally very careful, but don't park out in BFE to save my car. I couldn't avoid the one I have. I've had nothing else happen, knock on wood and Porsches are fairly unique in Memphis.

The behavior below is the most bizarre and I've experienced it too. They don't usually flip me off, but I'd have to floor it to get back around them because they speed up.

2) People who think it's funny to make a Porsche "have to wait." I've seen this numerous times - people roar around me at 20+ MPH over the speed I'm going, change lanes in front of me, then slow down to about 10 MPH below the speed I'm going because they think it's "funny." One driver actually slowed all the way down to 25 MPH on a freeway before I could find a gap to pass him, then flipped me off when I did pass and got behind me and flashed his high beams a bunch of times.

#31 ·
If you walk into a bar with a gorgeous wife/girl friend, what happens? Jealousy, hatred - about why they aren't as lucky or good, rage - why parade a trophy, or simply the snake types sniff around to steal your prize.

I've just described the same social phenomenon in a parking lot ! Now imagine, your just left your prize in the bar while you shop / work / etc... Think about it... If you can't handle it, get an average wife or GF. Stick to Hondas and Buicks.

#32 ·
Intentional destruction or vandalization of another persons property is against the law in California. Don't know about other states but would assume it's so. I live in blue collar, pick up truck land and stick out like a sore thumb when driving around but maintain a low profile and so far have only had one smart *** roll their window down to ask me if I had any Grey Poupon. I told her I'd made up a batch of brown poop on earlier that morning and asked her if she'd like some. Her friends all cracked up at her. :banana:

#33 ·
Bought the Road Hazard policy ($899), in one week was back at the dealer, right rear was losing 6-7 p.s.i. daily, piece of metal, dealer price for the C2S rear was $720, almost paid for itself with the first incident. Money well spent,
if different tires, maybe not, with Pirelli 295/30's on the rear, very worthwhile.
Covers tires, rims, no $ limit or # of occurrences, 5 year transferable (not to a dealer). I would always try to get it to a decent facility, Joe Shadetree has "always wanted to work on one of those".

I say every Gen. Contractor, roofer, pool enclosure guy, dock builder, mason (that's right Tap-Con Boy!) etc., should pay into a general fund for Porsche tire repair!

After the hurricanes of 04, had 6 flats in 4 days, 11 in one month.

I hate fasteners, screws, nails, %$%^&%&^)*%&^$^*, plier handles, etc.

Maybe a serial # on every...:hilarious:

#41 ·
I say every Gen. Contractor, roofer, pool enclosure guy, dock builder, mason (that's right Tap-Con Boy!) etc., should pay into a general fund for Porsche tire repair!
I've gotten a nail in the sidewall of a motorcycle tire. There were quite a few roofers in the neighborhood repairing hail damage.

As far as greed and envy go, in 2 1/2 years of ownership I've never gotten anything but thumbs up. I do keep a Retired Army sticker on the windshield so that folks won't confuse me with a Bank of America exec.

#35 ·
[. I've owned a Corvette a while ago and a BMW Z4 recently and I never remember this amount negativity or jealousy.[/QUOTE]

I think the term for their behavior is Covet. It is the next step beyond Admiration > Envy > Jealousy > Covet.
Basically someone will try to hurt you in some way when you have what they want. IMHO Ed

#38 ·
:hilarious:

Seems that the premise we are to believe is that the exotic beauty and nature of a rare CS drove the deprived citizens of Portland blindly mad so that they had to strike out at the car to get at the driver and did so by inflicting damage on a tire. Hmmm..

Or maybe someone thought the driver needed teaching a lesson to for some imagined or real violation of local mores. Like parking badly to protect from door dings?

Or maybe it really was accidental. Try putting a screw in an old tire sometimes by hand to see how difficult it is.
Well said. That kind of damage is a lot harder than simply keying the car - I'd guess this was accidental and not intentional.

#37 ·
Seems that the premise we are to believe is that the exotic beauty and nature of a rare CS drove the deprived citizens of Portland blindly mad so that they had to strike out at the car to get at the driver and did so by inflicting damage on a tire. Hmmm..

Or maybe someone thought the driver needed teaching a lesson to for some imagined or real violation of local mores. Like parking badly to protect from door dings?

Or maybe it really was accidental. Try putting a screw in an old tire sometimes by hand to see how difficult it is.

#40 ·
+1 I worked at Western Auto repairing tires and such a lifetime ago. You have to be pretty determined to get a screw to stick in the tire. Its much easier to break the tire valve, slash the tire, key the car, or just smash the glass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.