Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2004 BMW 330i ZHP, 2011 BMW 1M Coupe, 2017 GTI
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love Blue Cars...and truly want a blue 718. I don't like the any of the current shades of blue. The midnight blue is too dark and metallic flake too large. The Shark blue, there are none available in person to see but looks cartoonish. Miami is OK but not available. Sapphire Blue was perfection but of course Porsche discontinues. So there is Gentian Blue. man o man it is so close but no matter how many times I want and try so hard to like it something is not right with it. It's as if the texture and glare make every panel of the car seem like they don't fit. Outdoors, it reflects strangely and it shows nanoparticles of dust as if they were huge hairy moles. I have seen it look great only once under low light accentuated by studio lighting at the porsche dealer while being perfectly clean and glossed. Every other time something is off with it. These are things I can articulate but not sure what is causing this. If you also find Gentian Blue to be off somehow, let me know why you think that is. I keep wanting to order it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Gentian Blue is a great new color and yes, much better than Dark Blue and Midnight Blue. I haven't seen Shark Blue in person, but do like Miami Blue. Sapphire Blue and Aqua Blue were great medium tones of Blue, but even they were ordered in low numbers. If I were ordering today, I would choose Python Green or Lava Orange, with Yellow as my fall back.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Sounds like a job for PTS. Twelve grand or so and you can pick from dozens of blues. FYI Midnight blue is no longer available as a standard colour.

Reactions: James III

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sounds like a job for PTS. Twelve grand or so and you can pick from dozens of blues. FYI Midnight blue is no longer available as a standard colour.
I had two Porsches in Dark Blue (2014 CS and 2016 GT4) and really liked the color, a lot like Ferrari Tour de France Blue. Unfortunately it was not available when I ordered a 2021 Gt4 so I got it in Gentian Blue.

I don't hate, it but I much prefer the Dark Blue. There is too much variation between the panels in light and those in shade. Also the Gentian Blue seems to more readily show streaks in the wax,

Williamr

·
Registered
291 Posts
I like this thread. I love blue but many blue Porsches are just bad in my opinion. I try to like them, heck, I tried to purchase a midnight blue once - prefer my black! Shark probably is saved only by the marvel of GT3s and such, flat and not interesting alone. Of course for each their own, but gentian blue is one of those, almost catching greys. The metallic is too chunky, it doesn't flow.

On the other hand, blue like the Miami or the Sapphire are pure juice. And then I have one more for you - san marino blue metallic. Muy bueno!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw on the website you can create your own color. Can't imagine what that would cost, but why not do that?
It just makes no sense to pay $12K to get the color. I like Yellow a as well and can go that route but was just wondering if there were others like me that found it off as well and if so, wondering what they noticed that could help me figure out why its so off to me. It looks nice online but not off in person.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like this thread. I love blue but many blue Porsches are just bad in my opinion. I try to like them, heck, I tried to purchase a midnight blue once - prefer my black! Shark probably is saved only by the marvel of GT3s and such, flat and not interesting alone. Of course for each their own, but gentian blue is one of those, almost catching greys. The metallic is too chunky, it doesn't flow.

On the other hand, blue like the Miami or the Sapphire are pure juice. And then I have one more for you - san marino blue metallic. Muy bueno!

View attachment 275592
Miami Blue is pretty for sure. I haven't seen any Shark Blue Cayman's and I'm curious. So many colors look good in pictures but not in person. Yaz Marina Blue on M3s looks great in pictures but not so much in person. If anyone out there has a Shark Blue Cayman, do share picture and maybe location. I would love to see one in person before my configuration lock date. Right now it's race yellow until I can see a Shark Blue in person.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Miami Blue is pretty for sure. I haven't seen any Shark Blue Cayman's and I'm curious. So many colors look good in pictures but not in person. Yaz Marina Blue on M3s looks great in pictures but not so much in person. If anyone out there has a Shark Blue Cayman, do share picture and maybe location. I would love to see one in person before my configuration lock date. Right now it's race yellow until I can see a Shark Blue in person.
You can't go wrong with Yellow and it's a free color that still rarely gets ordered.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Not sure that any Shark Blue have been delivered. It's a new colour and with all the delays...

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think I know what you mean by the Marina Blue looking bad in person... But if a color looks bad on the screen... No man.

(Shark blue)

But maritime blue? Fuchs yeah.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Can't help with Shark Blue. Incidentally, I was playing with configurator 2 days ago building GTS Cayman. Frankly, I agree with OP - there are no blue colors now that I would order. Thank God I got in while Sapphire Blue was available. Without any babying, it still looks awesome after 5 years, hides dirt pretty well and still shines like crazy when properly clean. So, for new Cayman, I was undecided between Racing Yellow and Lava Orange - both with satin platinum wheels and gloss black painted calipers, model delete on doors and very undecided whether to go black for model designation on the rear.

OP, good luck with your ordering. I would consider swapping to not-blue color unless you would consider paint-to-sample - in which case I cannot say enough good things about Sapphire Blue. Aqua Blue and Cobalt Blue are also very, very similar and attractive to me. Who knows? Maybe if you chose standard Porsche color as paint-to-sample, maybe you can come down on price, I would ask.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can't help with Shark Blue. Incidentally, I was playing with configurator 2 days ago building GTS Cayman. Frankly, I agree with OP - there are no blue colors now that I would order. Thank God I got in while Sapphire Blue was available. Without any babying, it still looks awesome after 5 years, hides dirt pretty well and still shines like crazy when properly clean. So, for new Cayman, I was undecided between Racing Yellow and Lava Orange - both with satin platinum wheels and gloss black painted calipers, model delete on doors and very undecided whether to go black for model designation on the rear.

OP, good luck with your ordering. I would consider swapping to not-blue color unless you would consider paint-to-sample - in which case I cannot say enough good things about Sapphire Blue. Aqua Blue and Cobalt Blue are also very, very similar and attractive to me. Who knows? Maybe if you chose standard Porsche color as paint-to-sample, maybe you can come down on price, I would ask.
Thankyou. Yes, everyone has different tastes but Sapphire Blue is perfection to me on a Cayman. I remember the first time I saw a Sapphire Cayman on the road, I was with my wife my son around 14, daughter about 9 and I said here comes a blue Cayman on the left. All four of us just looked at it and said that was beautiful I haven't had that unanimous reaction from the family as well with any other color. Miami is also very cool in a different way and I would consider it as well but for now it's Race Yellow. The Cayman T looks amazing in it because the Agate Accents and black calipers just all work on it. I know I will be happy with with the yellow but this is probably the last totally selfish car I ever buy and was hoping to go out in blue style. After this, it will probably be some electric or hybrid so that is why this purchase seems more important than others. As to the Gentian blue, I was just trying to figure out why it doesn't do it for me and a forum like this is sometimes a good place to settle unimportant first world problems. : )

·
Registered
291 Posts

I agree 100% with Lava, it's perfect on a 718.

·
Registered
266 Posts
What I find interesting about Gentian Blue is that the pics under showroom lights look great, but under daylight it's dull.
I like blue too, but I bought Racing Yellow and love that colour on my Boxster. It also gets lots of compliments.😀

·
Registered
2017 Cayman S
52 Posts
Gentian Blue is a great new color and yes, much better than Dark Blue and Midnight Blue. I haven't seen Shark Blue in person, but do like Miami Blue. Sapphire Blue and Aqua Blue were great medium tones of Blue, but even they were ordered in low numbers. If I were ordering today, I would choose Python Green or Lava Orange, with Yellow as my fall back.

What I find interesting about Gentian Blue is that the pics under showroom lights look great, but under daylight it's dull.
I like blue too, but I bought Racing Yellow and love that colour on my Boxster. It also gets lots of compliments.😀
Night Blue is nice ~

·
Registered
46 Posts
Miami is also very cool in a different way and I would consider it as well but for now it's Race Yellow.
Miami blue and race yellow are my favorites. I could not find a miami and found yellow. I wanted something unique and a little more sports car exotic. I gets lots of compliments and folks talking pictures. If i were to replace/upgrade i would seriously consider yellow over miami.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts