Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
This convo is about being picky, isn't it. Because why would you put something on your dream car that works 70% of the way. As long as Gentian blue does it around 70% for me, shark blue is slightly higher (as we said, Miami blue and sapphire are nearly perfect). I say it because someone recently shared their commission on a GT4 in shark blue, and I dig it like 80% of the way.

·
Registered
2004 BMW 330i ZHP, 2011 BMW 1M Coupe, 2017 GTI
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This convo is about being picky, isn't it. Because why would you put something on your dream car that works 70% of the way. As long as Gentian blue does it around 70% for me, shark blue is slightly higher (as we said, Miami blue and sapphire are nearly perfect). I say it because someone recently shared their commission on a GT4 in shark blue, and I dig it like 80% of the way.

View attachment 275808
I agree, based on this picture Shark Blue is much better than the two current 718 blues. I might have to do some more configurator work.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have no regrets about my Miami Blue.
You may want to consider choosing a free color and then putting a wrap over it to get any color you like. Much cheaper than other options, protects the original paint, and is removable.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yes, Miami blue is very cool especially in the T with the grey highlights but no longer available. Only Gentian Blue, Night Blue and Shark Blue for $2600 extra. I saw shark blue for the first time yesterday and it looks pretty cool. I don't think it will work as well in the T since it's darker unless you paint the mirror caps, remove the side decal and maybe change wheel colors. So Yellow still seems the best color and of course, with a chance to wrap. for me the problem with wrapping, beside cost is that they take panels off and rarely are they put back together as well as when new. I am tired of asking, tipping people to do a good job. The problem is that in their mind they think they are doing a good job. One reason some dealer service is very expensive is that often they will replace bolts and washers because the factory maintenance calls for it. Yes you can reuse most hardware and it seemed wasteful to me as well until one day I noticed that my differential on my M car was leaking and due to the position, I couldn't tighten or remove all but one bolt without dropping the whole differential, taking driveshafts off etc. Beside the seal having deteriorated, the bolts had come loose on the diff cover because the special spring washers had become brittle and cracked losing their spring tension. So maybe there is a reason BMW says to change the washers at $4 each..... ah. When removing panels, I think you need to repace every plastic trim connector and that rarely gets done. Not just for the cost but even the time to get all of those together for the job. So I am very hesitant to have someone take apart my brand new Porsche.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Visited Porsche Houston today. Guess what I found - a shark blue 718. Now, my speculations about how the color feels in real are exactly right, it does it for me at 80%, it's nice, it's an honest blue. But black wheels look wrong on them, much better is the setup from above with grey wheels:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Now, yes, they had a gentian blue GT4. Exactly as we spoke, this color is off in the weirdest way. I can't explain if it's about how it flows with the plastic trim around the car, or just the darkness and coarseness of it, it does it around 70% for me.

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Car Vehicle Tire Vehicle registration plate Hood

And finally, the most playful and honest color that I found today - Racing yellow:

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

In conclusion: racing yellow > shark blue > gentian blue. Again, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. My choice for a daily weapon is always black with satin silver wheels, while my Ferrari will be rosso corsa, when it hopefully happens. Here, some other takes from the showroom:

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Lighthouse Automotive tail & brake light

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Visited Porsche Houston today. Guess what I found - a shark blue 718. Now, my speculations about how the color feels in real are exactly right, it does it for me at 80%, it's nice, it's an honest blue. But black wheels look wrong on them, much better is the setup from above with grey wheels: View attachment 276047

Now, yes, they had a gentian blue GT4. Exactly as we spoke, this color is off in the weirdest way. I can't explain if it's about how it flows with the plastic trim around the car, or just the darkness and coarseness of it, it does it around 70% for me.

View attachment 276048
View attachment 276049

And finally, the most playful and honest color that I found today - Racing yellow:

View attachment 276050

In conclusion: racing yellow > shark blue > gentian blue. Again, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. My choice for a daily weapon is always black with satin silver wheels, while my Ferrari will be rosso corsa, when it hopefully happens. Here, some other takes from the showroom:

View attachment 276051

View attachment 276052

View attachment 276053

View attachment 276055

Cheers.
It's disconcerting when someone nails your thoughts exactly. Usually black wheels not my favorite but they can work on some cars but they don't look right on the Shark Blue, Gentian is just off somehow. The color is not true as if it's trying to hide it's color and then clashes with true solid black trim. Finally yes, the Yellow is the truest color of the three. It's, yeah, I'm 100% true yellow, not Desert Twilight Dendelion , not some strange shade of Blue or Baby Blue.....just in your face, Yellow. Period. Thank you Sir for the great pics and thoughts. 100% in agreement.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Porsche needs to bring back Ocean Blue Met.
Googled it, online it looks a lot like Gentian Blue. Probably better in person. I heard someone say the Sapphire Blue was a controversial color. Some hated it for some reason, I guess everyone has different tastes but man Sapphire Blue was it. The best blue Porsche ever made in my humble opinion. I wish they would bring that back! It's been a couple of years...c'mon Porsche. ok to admit a mistake.. You brought back Flat 6 NA to Cayman......one more, bring back Sapphire Blue! : )

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Some hated it for some reason, I guess everyone has different tastes but man Sapphire Blue was it. The best blue Porsche ever made in my humble opinion.
When I was going back and forth with body samples in the showroom, Sapphire Blue was not at all "Yeah, that's it! Best color I've seen on a car!" I really wasn't 100% sure, but let's say that it won over all the other colors for which I was willing to pay for.

But when it arrived ... Oh, boy! This is one of the very few colors that work anywhere and under any light. It pops like crazy in the noon sunlight and even more parked in the evening/dark on a parking lot but not directly under the lights. In that setting, when you look around, all other cars (except white) kind of blend in the background, but you will immediately notice that blue. On a cloudy day it might seem just a tad flat, but so are many other colors when clear coat doesn't have anything but grey to reflect.

Strangely, in the period Dec '15 - Feb '16 when I was tribulating and finalizing my specification for production, I don't remember seeing one single 981 in Sapphire Blue in the wild to help me sleep better. At my last track event 10 days ago I got black-flagged and, when I got to the black flag station the guy said "Yeah, it is not you, it is your twin brother out there that we called in." - which meant the other Sapphire Blue Cayman S which obviously looked identical to the flaggers. They seem to be relatively common now (and even more so on Macans), but that was not the case back then.

Finally, maybe its best performance characteristic (of the Sapphire Blue) is that wheels get almost black before you start noticing that the car is dirty from 6-10 feet away. Perfect color as far as I am concerned :)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts