Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

What is wrong with the metal in my wheel?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  carpetyd 
#1 · (Edited)
My left front wheel is turning yellow inside the rim? (see pics below) Anyone know what is causing the metal to turn yellow? I had the brake fluid changed at the dealer a year ago and I thought I noticed the problem after that. They said it was nothing, but I think it is getting more noticeable or bigger? Is something leaking? The yellow stain is not something you can wipe off, it looks like the metal is chemically changed or reminds me of the discoloration you get when you take a heat source to metal like a blow torch? I showed it to dealer 6 months ago and they tried a few cleaning products but nothing made a difference and they said it was normal. Its either spreading or getting darker because its far from normal looking to my eye now. This tire was changed by my dealer when I had a flat, could this be overflow glue or lubricant from the tire change process? (I don't know what they use?)

I've added a second photo with some editing as I turned-up the contrast in Photoshop to show what the stain looks like exaggerated, in case you guys can't see enough detail in the original pic.

This photo was taken just after I washed the car (the reason the brake disk looks rusty) my other 3 wheels are perfect silver color, and perfect finish, its only the one wheel with the yellow stain. My car is a 2012, 16k mile, base Cayman, with stock 17 inch wheels. Any ideas? My car has a few more months of warranty left. Do I need a new wheel? Dealer might offer to refinish wheel, or should I be more worried my brake is actively leaking fluid? (I have never seen anything wet on the wheel). Could this be a spill by the dealer when they bled my brakes and its just getting more noticeable as the metal is being corroded over time?

Same pic color enhanced to show the stain more vividly. The stain does not extend to the outside of the wheel when looked at with the naked eye... I think we are just getting yellow reflections from super enhanceing the contrast. Or maybe it extends outside the wheel but is too faint to see with the naked eye.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for offering another possible explanation. I was worried I wasn't going to get any replies. What ever it is, it's not common.

The only reason that I didn't think it was from running over something is the way the 5 streaks are in straight lines vs a splatter pattern?

#6 · (Edited)
Didn't try rubbing compound, I'll take it to the dealer and let them take it off the car and see what they can do. I'm in that rare zone where no one on Planet-9 knows... Just my luck ;)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Still had fun at the St Pete car show last weekend (Lots of people wearing jackets, it must of dropped to 70 degrees).

#7 ·
I can't help with explanation, but I would take it to a high end detailers first. They may have an idea.

#8 ·
I have similar stains to the inside of my wheels although being black, they don't show up so much. I've always thought it to be rust marks from water trapped inside the vented rotors that flies out once you start moving. I've tried cutting compound with has average results.

#9 ·
I may be wrong but!!?
I have 20inch Carrera Classic wheels on my 981 and noticed something similar after washing the car. The wheel has some hollows at various points where the wheel face mates to the hub. This is a prime area for water to collect and go rusty, this dirty water then leaks out over your nicely cleaned inner wheel rim when the car is next moved. If you don't remove it this solution will stain the wheel. I now wash mine then go for a little run or move the car, then re-wipe the inside of the rim. Maybe???

#10 ·
i suspect the same case as budman... probably animal discharge.
if you normally wash the car after a service, there's low chance that its spill related to the brake service.

since its on the inside of the wheel, you can try wheel cleaner, scratch remover or other compounds starting with the most gentle, moving up to more aggressive.
however as some wheel finishes are relatively "porous" and some experimentation might be required, it may be easier to take it to a pro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.