Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Don
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious what people think of Roebling Road (RR) and if it is a good track for a beginning DE driver. Looking at the YouTube videos the run-off appears generous.

This will be my second DE, first was at VIR. It was fantastic and am anxious to get out again.

Anyone done an event with Florida Crown Region as well?

Thanks,
Don

·
Registered
238 Posts
Don:

I have done 5 DE's at Roebling over the past 14 months, my first DE being at Roebling in October, 2008. I've done 3 with the Crown Region and 2 with the Citrus region, both great groups with excellent instructors.

I think Roebling is a great track to learn on. It is not so long that you can't remember what you did on the last lap, but is difficult (technical) enough that you will learn enough so that you will be able to go to other tracks and not feel totally lost. While there are not that many different turns, some have a decreasing radius and are off camber to add to the complexity.

The 2 high speed turns, 3 and 8/9 have plenty of runoff room, but in my opinion you can get in trouble at 4 and the carousel (6) if you get too aggressive. The only wall is on the front straight after turn 9, and the chief instructor always makes a point at the drivers meeting about not trying to turn back onto the track if you go off at 9. That is when the wall comes into play.

All in all a good track (surface is excellent) with some challenging turns, but no elevation change to speak of; and really a great bunch of people.

By all means go, and have a great time.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I agree with all Gil said re RR. IMHO VIR is the best track around so none will measure up to it. RR is shorter of course and absolutely flat in contrast to the many elevation changes at VIR. As you say good run-off areas generally and plenty to learn there as there would be anywhere for your second DE.

Have fun!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am an instructor with Florida Crown and consider RR my home track. It is good place to perfect your technical ability while having fun. It's not a long track, 9 turns, but there are plenty of opertunities to push it to the edge. Come on out and join us for one of the FCR DE's and I assure you that you will leave with a better understanding of your car and your abilities as a driver.

·
Don
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I appreciate the replies. I'm registered and excited to find a DE date earlier than our club's first 2010 DE which is in March.

Even found a nice B& B in Savannah and goind down a day earlier taking the wife for a visit to Savannah.

Regards,
Don.

PS - Registration process was esxcellent and I am impressed with the FCR web site and all of the DE resources they have posted both about DEs in general and RRR. Based on initial impressions it should be a great time.

·
Registered
238 Posts
You'll have a great time. Try to take a walking tour of Savannah; it's a truly fascinating place.

What color car should we look for?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Don:

My Guards Red Cayman S is also 64. I generally park along the fence near the false grid.

See you there.

·
Hurricane Region PCA Historian
929 Posts
I would agree with the general opinion here that RR is a very good learning track. It's technical, but not all that long - so fewer turns to worry remember - or fast . That said, I've only done one DE there and I certainly didn't have all the turns down by the end of the weekend.

One advantage I think RR has over VIR, which is a fantastic track, is that speeds are lower and there are fewer places (Turn 9 being certainly being an exception) which can "bite" you if you make a mistake. For someone who is somewhat of a newbie like myself (only three DE's in the CS), you can pay a more attention to the track and worry a bit less about the consequences of a mistake than VIR.

Have fun! Savannah is a fantastic town to visit as well, and it you want to PM me, I'd be happy to recommend some great places to eat, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts