Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up my 2009 base boxster tomorrow. It's 8 years old now, with 38,000 miles on it. The 40k service doesn't seem like much, nor the 60k really. But the car is 8 years old so I'm wondering what should be done early.

Here are the things I've thought of, any thoughts on what is necessary now and what can wait? Anything I'm missing?

* Oil change - obviously
* Brake fluid flush - seems wise, no idea when it was last done. Doesn't seem too bad to DIY, I have a mityvac.
* Plugs / Coils - not due until 60k, should I bump up due to age?
* Serpentine belt - same, not due until 60k, should I bump it up?
* Water pump - recommended preventative on 987.1, can't really find any info on whether 987.2 is also susceptible to problems. I think recommendation is to replace at 60k?
* Shifter cables - worth replacing? Also can't find much info on whether the problems with them breaking affect 987.2's, and if it's worth upgrading them before they break.
* AOS - another one where I can't figure out if 987.2 has same issues 987.1 does, and if / when I should replace
* Transmission / Transaxle fluid - car is a manual, can't find any real info on how often one should change this
* Coolant flush - figure do that when doing the water pump?

Those are the things I can think of. Will definitely do an oil change and brake fluid flush. Not sure about all the other stuff...

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Picking up my 2009 base boxster tomorrow. It's 8 years old now, with 38,000 miles on it. The 40k service doesn't seem like much, nor the 60k really. But the car is 8 years old so I'm wondering what should be done early.

Here are the things I've thought of, any thoughts on what is necessary now and what can wait? Anything I'm missing?

* Oil change - obviously

* Brake fluid flush - seems wise, no idea when it was last done. Doesn't seem too bad to DIY, I have a mityvac.
* Plugs / Coils - not due until 60k, should I bump up due to age?
* Serpentine belt - same, not due until 60k, should I bump it up?
* Water pump - recommended preventative on 987.1, can't really find any info on whether 987.2 is also susceptible to problems. I think recommendation is to replace at 60k?
* Shifter cables - worth replacing? Also can't find much info on whether the problems with them breaking affect 987.2's, and if it's worth upgrading them before they break.
* AOS - another one where I can't figure out if 987.2 has same issues 987.1 does, and if / when I should replace
* Transmission / Transaxle fluid - car is a manual, can't find any real info on how often one should change this
* Coolant flush - figure do that when doing the water pump?

Those are the things I can think of. Will definitely do an oil change and brake fluid flush. Not sure about all the other stuff...
Plugs should have been done at 4 years...once you're in there, replacing coils isn't a big expense. Even if serpentine belt looks good, it's been exposed to the elements for 8 years. Easy and inexpensive replacement. I'd hold off on water pump, shifter cables and AOS until you have the car a while and notice any potential problems. Shifter cables are (apparently) a bit of a bear to replace...not worth doing proactively if you keep them stock, but you might decide you want to go aftermarket after having the car a while.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have any maintenance history for the car? I wouldn't go doing things blindly unless you didn't know. Here's the 2009 maintenance checklist.
View attachment 146841
I do not. All I have is the carfax but it has a lot of vague entries like "Vehicle Serviced". However all servicing was done at the same Porsche dealership it's entire life up until it got to me, do you think if I contact that dealership they would be willing to send me it's records?

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I presumed you were asking what maintenance should be done in the absence of records on the car. Unless you know what's been done, assume it hasn't been (hopefully oil was changed at reasonable mileage intervals, if not time).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, that's what I'm asking. I have oil change records on the carfax, as well as a brake fluid change back in 2011 at 25,000 miles. That's all I've got. So I'm looking for suggestions on what to do assuming nothing has been done to it beyond oil changes.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Nice thing about replacing the drive belt is while it is off you can carefully check for play/roughness in bearings, water pump in particular. Also check for leaks.
If the car has been regularly serviced by Porsche it is probably up to date. When I took my newly purchased used Cayman to an indy, he contacted the Porsche dealer that had serviced it to find out exactly what they had done. Don't know if they'd do same for the owner, but it is worth a shot.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Plugs should have been done at 4 years...once you're in there, replacing coils isn't a big expense....
Personally, I do not plan on replacing my coils until they fail, or maybe when the first one fails I'll replace 'em all. At $70/each from Pelican I don't consider them particularly cheap, although there are cheaper ones available. Since they are likely to fail one at a time, they will not strand you somewhere.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I do think the Porsche dealer will provide you with records of service on the car. Maybe even bring it to them for a sort of Post-PPI. It might cost you a couple of hundred but it might also be worth it to get their opinion and get the records.

One thing you didn't mention is tires. Also check them and the date of manufacture. They may be original or over 4 years old.

Good luck!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the other dealer is down in Palm Springs (I'm in Oregon) so that'd be a long trip to get them to check it out :) From what I can tell, the car was initially a lease, then sold as a CPO 3 years later, then traded back into the dealer in Palm Springs and they sent it to auction and it made it's way up here to a used car dealer specializing in luxury cars.

I did give them a call and they said basically they've had it for oil changes, the one brake flush in 2011, various inspections / checkups when it resold and that's about it.

Rear tires are getting low so those will probably be done soon. Front pads and rotors are down to 25% per the PPI so I'll probably run on those a bit more and then do the brake fluid when I do the brakes. Serpentine belt, plugs and coils I"ll probably take care of sometime in the next few months. Got a new cabin air filter already.

Is brake fluid DIYable? I've read mixed reports. Doesn't seem that bad, but I've also read some stuff about the abs module making it difficult because you can't drain it. Debating if it's worth taking to a shop for the flush.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Well the other dealer is down in Palm Springs (I'm in Oregon) so that'd be a long trip to get them to check it out :) From what I can tell, the car was initially a lease, then sold as a CPO 3 years later, then traded back into the dealer in Palm Springs and they sent it to auction and it made it's way up here to a used car dealer specializing in luxury cars.

I did give them a call and they said basically they've had it for oil changes, the one brake flush in 2011, various inspections / checkups when it resold and that's about it.

Rear tires are getting low so those will probably be done soon. Front pads and rotors are down to 25% per the PPI so I'll probably run on those a bit more and then do the brake fluid when I do the brakes. Serpentine belt, plugs and coils I"ll probably take care of sometime in the next few months. Got a new cabin air filter already.

Is brake fluid DIYable? I've read mixed reports. Doesn't seem that bad, but I've also read some stuff about the abs module making it difficult because you can't drain it. Debating if it's worth taking to a shop for the flush.
Brake flush is easy. I did mine yesterday. If it weren't for having to remove and remount the wheels, it would be a 10 minute job (with the proper equipment & tools). Get a Motive bleeder and the Porsche pressure cap. I didn't active the ABS pump this time - I just did a dozen or so emergency stops to get the fluid mixed. But if you are going to be doing much DIY work on the car, buy a new or used Durametric - the authentic one (not the cheap clones on ebay).

Brake pads and rotors are about as easy to do as any car. There's plenty of videos, articles, and guides. Actually, once you've learned your way around this car, all the routine maintenance is pretty easy.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
agree with previous posts in trying to get the dealer's point of view or history - the service advisor can review the records and make some recommendations.

if you plan to DIY - I'd spend a couple of hours having a look at the coils, plugs, air filter, belts - to give you an idea of what needs to be done.
no point changing something that doesn't need to be replaced. fluids generally 2-4 years must be changed depending on what.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Personally, I do not plan on replacing my coils until they fail, or maybe when the first one fails I'll replace 'em all. At $70/each from Pelican I don't consider them particularly cheap, although there are cheaper ones available. Since they are likely to fail one at a time, they will not strand you somewhere.
Many low mile cars get...oil changes. That's about it. Even my 'CPO' 2007 we got around 2013 lacked documentation for brake fluid, filter or spark changes at 5 years in service. I brought this up to my dealer, CPO cars must be current and since they had no docs (and clearly didn't do it as part of CPO, yeah we know dealers get away with a lot there sometimes), it got done post sale. I paid for the serp belt at that time to throw them a bone and establish the relationship since it was due in a year.

I do believe the 2/4/6 (and 1 really if you just do annual oil changes despite the few years Porsche stated 2 years/20K) schedule is overly aggressive. Brakes don't need to be bled that frequently, but I baby my cars and DIY a lot of it so I have been adhering to the schedule. I usually have my dealer do one thing even though I am mechanically capable to do all these items.

Plugs are just time consuming but not horrible...and my near 10yo coils are doing fine. No reason to swap them so far.

Happy wrenching and driving,

- b

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
While flushing your brake fluid you ought to also flush the clutch fluid. The 987.2 AOS is a different design and I've not heard of issues with it. When I had my 987.1 I kept a spare shift cable set in the garage. so far they haven't been needed. The cables usually have to come from Germany.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Brake flush is easy. I did mine yesterday. If it weren't for having to remove and remount the wheels, it would be a 10 minute job (with the proper equipment & tools). Get a Motive bleeder and the Porsche pressure cap. I didn't active the ABS pump this time - I just did a dozen or so emergency stops to get the fluid mixed...
I'm gearing up to do my first brake bleed on the Cayman. Since it appears you have done it multiple times, do you have a favorite amount of fluid you drain per caliper/clutch? The Porsche procedure says 250ml per, but I suspect the shorter runs require less than the longer runs, and 250ml for all may be overkill.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I'm gearing up to do my first brake bleed on the Cayman. Since it appears you have done it multiple times, do you have a favorite amount of fluid you drain per caliper/clutch? The Porsche procedure says 250ml per, but I suspect the shorter runs require less than the longer runs, and 250ml for all may be overkill.
I don't have a graduated collection bottle, so I always drain too much. It's hard to go by the color since, after the first couple seconds, it all looks the same. Wish they still had blue fluid. My 2010 manual says the whole system holds 390 ml, but I buy a liter and end-up using most of it. I probably drained about 250ml each from the rears. I didn't have enough left over to do the clutch, so I guess I'll buy another 500 ml bottle and do it when I do an oil change next month. For the fronts I probably do about 100 - 150 ml each.

Reactions: bruinfn4lf

·
Registered
11 Posts
Seems to be some inconsistencies in the maintenance manuals. I keep seeing people say plugs at 60k, but my 2010 2.9's original paper manual says plugs are due at 40k, and the extras at 60k are the serp belt, and both air filters. Something to keep in mind. Also my manual states that the manual trans fluid is due at 120k.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.