Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought a 2008 Cayman S last month from a Lexus Dealer (on Ebay actually). It was advertised as a Design Edition, and the Carfax report says it's a Cayman S/Design edition. Exterior is white, interior is sand seats/dash with black carpet, black trim accents and a gloss black rear console. Thing is, there is no DE badge on the glove box. So, what model is this???

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I thought all Design Editions in the Cayman were black. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I thought all Design Editions in the Cayman were black. I could be wrong though.

Hmmm, I don't think it is a design edt. It should have the plate stating what number it is in the production run.

This article states all the 08's were black.

You do have the turbo rims that came on the DE but I don't see the strips and DE decals. I wonder if it is a DE that has been painted?...but that does not explain the plate missing.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/articles/2008-porsche-cayman-s-design-edition-1-

I would think PCNA could check the VIN and tell you.

·
Registered
502 Posts
From the article (do you have Alcantara interior?)

"The 2008 Cayman S Porsche Design Edition 1 is based on the Cayman S, the top-of-the-line Cayman model. Differentiating itself from the standard Cayman S models, the limited-edition model is only available with an exterior painted in gloss black. Matte black design stripes down the center of the vehicle, and commemorative logos on the sides, continue the theme. To further accent the design elements, the front lip spoiler, door handles, and side intakes have been painted black. Standard Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) lowers the car by 10mm, while 19-inch wheels from the 911 Turbo give the coupe an aggressive stance.

The design accents are carried to the interior with unique black leather and Alcantara upholstery, sleek instrument dials, and black-painted features. One of the most remarkable attributes of the Cayman S Porsche Design Edition 1 is the complement of Porsche Design accessories standard with each vehicle. All limited-edition models are outfitted with a black leather briefcase, pocket knife, writing pen, and keychain. Of course, a black quartz chronograph is included. All pay tribute to the original Chronograph 1 from the Porsche Design Studio."

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definitely not a DE than. Hasn't been repainted, no alcantarra, no pasm, and no plate. I was pretty sure it wasn't one when I didn't see the plate. Just if there was a sub model that porsche did with the two tone interior. No complaints here whatever it is, i love the color combo....and the rest of the car of course!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was pretty confident it wasn't a DE when I bought it, as I didn't see the badge. I thought about bringing it up, but regardless of the "edition", its the color combo I wanted. I think I got a air price, especially from a dealer. I paid 42500 2 months go, 31000 miles. No chrono or pasm. Its tiptronic. Like i said, i don't think i stole it!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Clearly all "Design Edition 1" cars were black Cayman S models. There were/are "Design Edition 2" and "Design Edition 3" variant of other models. Seems like the "Design Edition" name plus a number will be used for a series of semi-special models across the lineup.

The US Porsche configurator currently shows two "Pre-Configurations" - Touring (!) and Sport.
Porsche Car Configurator

As I recall, there were other "Pre-Configurations" in the past. Perhaps there was one called "Design"?

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
I was pretty confident it wasn't a DE when I bought it, as I didn't see the badge. I thought about bringing it up, but regardless of the "edition", its the color combo I wanted. I think I got a air price, especially from a dealer. I paid 42500 2 months go, 31000 miles. No chrono or pasm. Its tiptronic. Like i said, i don't think i stole it!
I think they stole you. I paid $30K for 2006 CS with 30K miles. For 2008 with 31K miles I would not pay more than $38K.

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
Cool. Now Drive It Like YOU Stole It.;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.